2001 KX125 Rear Brake Problems

My friend's '01 KX125 had some serious rear brake issues starting with a deformed rotor caused by pads that weren't being pressed evenly against it. The top side of both pads was being pushed against the rotor, if that makes any sense.

I helped him out by putting some new pads, pad bolt, and a new rotor on. I thought the problem was with his old pad bolt, which was extremely corroded, but as it turns out the inner pad still doesn't seat flat with respect to the rotor and the outer pad, and the piston seems tapered such that it pushes the outer pad on the top edge only. (See the pictures below.)

Any ideas? Is the only way to fix this to buy a new caliper? This is turning out to cost my friend a decent amount of money ($40 for new pads and $100 for new rotor and the caliper will cost $220).

Thanks,

Zeke

1.jpg

2.jpg

I have seen this on a new RMZ.The tabs on the caliber are bent out.

A lot of brake dragging while riding had heated to the point where it bent them out.

I know a someone that rides the rear brake while going through the whoops,someone told him that keeps the bike from swapping.?

He burns up the brake rotors and destroys the caliber.

But he's WAY fast so i don't question him.

I have seen this on a new RMZ.The tabs on the caliber are bent out.

A lot of brake dragging while riding had heated to the point where it bent them out.

I know a someone that rides the rear brake while going through the whoops,someone told him that keeps the bike from swapping.?

He burns up the brake rotors and destroys the caliber.

But he's WAY fast so i don't question him.

yup you can see it in the pic. can you get the outer pad to seat flat on the caliper and still be 90 degrees to the pin?

can you get the outer pad to seat flat on the caliper and still be 90 degrees to the pin?

Wait, are you talking about the outer or inner pad? The outer pad on the piston looks OK when the brake is pressed (that is, it's touching the rotor more completely). The inner pad won't at all stay flat against the caliper AND press evenly against the rotor. That is, when it is flat against the caliper, it's at that funny angle to the rotor.

I found that if I could somehow plug up those two small pin holes on the inner brake pad, it would sit above the matching pins on the inner caliper wall (rather than nestle into them) and be more flush with the rotor. Is this a good idea or not? What permanent compound should I plug those holes with?

-Zeke