Starting an XT 600

Hi Everyone,

I have just picked up an 88 XT600, It has been stored since 02, battery is dead, and fuel stale, when I viewed it, it would try and fire but as i only had trainers on after about twenty kicks my foot was hurting.

I'm planning a new plug, battery and carb clean, any tecnique I should know on these? my 81 KLX you just kick and go

Paul

When you clean the carb, take both jets out and make sure there not plugged. Sounds obvious, but some people go to all the trouble taking the carb off and just squit everything.

Hi Everyone,

I have just picked up an 88 XT600, It has been stored since 02, battery is dead, and fuel stale, when I viewed it, it would try and fire but as i only had trainers on after about twenty kicks my foot was hurting.

I'm planning a new plug, battery and carb clean, any tecnique I should know on these? my 81 KLX you just kick and go

Paul

Rotate the carb, remove the bowl cover, and remove the pilot jet and main jet. Clean them and look into the light to make sure they are really clean.

New plug, clean aircleaner, new oil and go.

as for the starting proceedure

Slowly push the kickstarter down untill you feel a tightness coming...then just a bit more and you will feel a notch ( that is top dead center) , once you have found that let the kickstarter back up the the top, make shure to put the kick stand up and give it and nice smooth strong kick almost like your aiming to kick the ground.

If not done like this it wont start I had many buddys on my xt600 (big boys) that could not get it started. I had a manual compression release on the bars I'd use to find tdc

Do not seperate the carbs and do not soak the carb bodies unless nessarary

The bike arrived today

I have only just looked over it, hope to start work on it in the next few days.

I have found an engine that should fit if needed,"with a bit of work"

DSC00715.jpg

DSC00714.jpg

DSC00693.jpg

Ya, you might need a little KY jelly to get that bad boy in there.

If the bike has a compression release, try this drill AFTER you install a new plug, clean the carb etc.

Make sure your gas is on and flowing fuel to the carb and the carb is full choked for a cold bike, no choke for a warm bike. You are now ready for "The Drill"... Pull the release and run your kicker to the bottom of it's stroke. let the release go and allow the kicker to come up to the half way point (horizontal). NEVER allow the kicker to come up past the halfway point from this point through this drill. Continue gently kicking the bike to the bottom and letting the kicker come to halfway until you reach the point where you are on the compression stroke and the kicker will absolutely not move under pressure of your leg. When you get to compression, pull the compression release and take the kicker to the bottom of the stroke. release the CR lever and allow the kicker to come to the halfway/ horizontal position. You now must kick hard with authority. If the bike doesn't fire, repeat drill and try again. The thumper should start in a few kicks.

Sorry to here that you're having problems. I bought a 1990 XT 600 3 years ago and thought that I'd be in your position until I saw the starter button up on the right hand grip! I was very thankful. The last big single that I had to kick start was an old 68 BSA 650 Thunderbolt! I was 14 and was launched over that handle bars on one memorable occasion!

Take care

:busted:

^^^^^^^ You shoulda' learned "The Drill" ...It's how I start my B50 at the AHRMA races...works on my SR500, TT500 And my bud's XR650R like a charm.

The guy who taught me "The Drill" was starting a warm B50, modified with Hi comp piston and a hot cam for flat track, with his hand!

GEEZ..."The Drill" wouldn't have been necessary on a '68 BSA Thunderbolt...it was a single carb twin! Never, ever heard of an old Brit twin launching someone on their head...just Sportsters with Hi comp pistons! Hope you had your helmet on!

Hi

Well after a change to fresh fuel, a few backfires and about fifty kicks she now runs, it will now start from cold on about 2nd or third kick

Paul

50 kicks couse you did not pull the carbs and clean them or

maybee just learning the "drill"