Going to Cal City 12/27

I bought my girlfriend a TT-R 125 for x-mas and I bought a new toyhauler a a month ago that I want to try out this weekend in Cal City. I was wondering if anyone can guide me to an area up there that would be best terrain for teaching someone how to ride + I haven't been to that area in 20 years and I'm not familiar with best way to find a camping spot. I did send in the 40 bucks for the family pass and water/dump station useage fee.

Depending on which way you're coming from.. Go past the golf course and take 20-mule team rd. up to Chrysler. Make a left on Chrysler and start looking for spots.. You should be able to find something. If you want something a little more remote, make your way to Thunderbird Rd and the further you go the more spots should be available (you can look at the satellite imagery on Google and get a pretty good idea of the area & roads, etc). In my opinion, the areas just off of Chryler are pretty decent for teaching someone to ride, obviously avoid the washes, but this area doesn't have a lot of rocks like some other areas. Both of my boys have ridden all around there on 50's (a PW 50 & a CRF 50) with little to no problem.

There is a moto-x track now right near 20 Mule Team & Chrysler.. and there's also a marked trail going all the way into town, which is cool. The trail-head is at Borax Bills Sherrif Sub-station which you will pass on your way to Chrysler Rd.

Have fun! We'll be out there from 12/31 til 1/4.

Just be every careful taking her out. It's one of the busyest weekend of the year.

thanks guys. We are coming from Valencia/Santa Clarita. I figured it would be a crowded week and having not been there in so long I needed to get an idea of where to go exactly. There seems to be so many areas up there that people like that it gets confusing and I didn't want to spend the day driving around looking for the "perfect spot" so I'm going with your advice...

thanks guys. We are coming from Valencia/Santa Clarita. I figured it would be a crowded week and having not been there in so long I needed to get an idea of where to go exactly. There seems to be so many areas up there that people like that it gets confusing and I didn't want to spend the day driving around looking for the "perfect spot" so I'm going with your advice...

We stay off of Esse rd most of the time. It's the first road pass the prison. For some reason it does have as many people.

You guys will have to come out on one of the group rides we post up. They are a lot of fun, and it's a good way to meet other people.

OM

was that whole area originally supposed to built up with homes. The satellite view shows tons of what appears to be dirt streets but no houses.....

Miles and miles of open desert to ride in. Just be careful it's easy to get lost. Remember the power lines are the main road. If you're going to start going out a lot get a GPS.

was that whole area originally supposed to built up with homes. The satellite view shows tons of what appears to be dirt streets but no houses.....

Yeah back in the 60's (i think) it was all set up for houses. Great place to camp. We will be heading out there on the 12/29-1/4

We will be there 12/30 - 01/03, we camp off of Cadillac Rd on the left side of 20 Mule Team, right side of Cadillac. Stop on by and say hi if your in the area :busted::moon:

stay away from cadillac/mx track/borax bill area i stay away from there and im extremely experianced thats where the idiots go. I usually go out to around 140th sually no one out there and if there is people out there very minimal

if you go out say hi ill be out there look for a popsicle at night haha

Just curious how your trip was today? I'm thinking about taking my girlfriend out there tomorrow. How was the crowds and weather?

Anyone go to Cal City today? I'm heading out there tomorrow and just wanted to get a feel for the crowds and weather.

Thanks

Anyone go to Cal City today? I'm heading out there tomorrow and just wanted to get a feel for the crowds and weather.

Thanks

Took the 4x4 though Cal City today, Borax bills busy, but but bareble IMHO

Did some GPS proposed wilderness route inventory north east Cuddyback saw nobody

over that way all day.

Randsburg a bit busy later in afternoon, everyone parked in FOJ lot

very mellow crowd

Good day

Will be back out Cuddyback way again tomorrow with the white OJ bronco.

Cuddyback still wet from storms, not a good place to set up camp

Wayne

Thanks for the info!

Any advice you could give a noob to the area? I'm heading out with my girlfriend just to putt around on her new quad. Mainly looking for easy, flat terrain since she's very new.

I'm not familiar with the area at all and was just planning on driving around til I found a good spot. Any places I might want to keep an eye out for?

Thanks!

Thanks for the info!

Any advice you could give a noob to the area? I'm heading out with my girlfriend just to putt around on her new quad. Mainly looking for easy, flat terrain since she's very new.

I'm not familiar with the area at all and was just planning on driving around til I found a good spot. Any places I might want to keep an eye out for?

Thanks!

MattD, were you guys in a Subaru w/trailer??

MattD, were you guys in a Subaru w/trailer??

Yeah, that was me, I think we staged off Esse Rd. :busted:

Had a blast just putting around with the girlfriend. It looks like there's so much to ride there, and plus the option to ride into town... I'm definitely going back soon.

Who were you? Did we chat?

Matt-

Cool!...I saw you guys for sure. I was on a white XR600 (my avatar) and rode by coming from Madison Mtn. Had I known, I would have stopped and intro'd myself. Did you guys have fun?? Lots of traction, no dust and COLD temps = good riding! PM if you go riding again. Im in Lancaster and go to Cal City quite often. ~Guy

We had tons of fun. And we only saw a small portion of what's available. Everyone we chatted with was nice, and like you said the traction/no dust/great temps made it a great day.

I don't recall seeing you (not sure where Madison Mtn is). Were you near Esse Rd or by Borax Bills? I'm sure I'll be in touch as I'm pretty new and always looking for someone to ride with and learn from.

Matt-

Just curious how your trip was today? I'm thinking about taking my girlfriend out there tomorrow. How was the crowds and weather?

just got back a couple hours ago. weather was great, no crowds and the girlfriend loved having lots of space to learn in. It is a great place to ride. I had never been there, was really happy and had a blast.

I was surprised by what seemed to be an infinite number of places to set up camp. We're going back second weekend in January.

I will be in Cal City again, at some point, this weekend. Anybody else riding? Wanna meet up? Just lemme know. ~Guy