2006 Toyota Tacoma 4wd Problems

Okay, so first I will start out with MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

So my dad and I went to our warehouse today to shovel more snow and to make sure that our reefer trailer was running. We drove there in his 2006 Toyota Tacoma Acess Cab 4wd SR5 with the 4-cylinder engine. We drove in 4-High on the way there, but to get in and out of the parking lot we used 4-Low. Then when we went to leave the pickup would not go out of 4-Low. It is stuck in 4-low and wont change to 2-High or 4-High. The pickup only has 46,000 miles on it and my dad has babied it since new. Could it just be a fuse or rely? If so where are the at?

Thanks,

-mt-

Dang it seems as if I am always having Toyota problems lately!

Sometimes in cold weather they dont come out of low range as quickly as when warm. Needs to be in neutral to get out of 4low.

I just jockey vehicle back an forth, shift in and out of neutral, turn front wheels a bit to relieve any binding, etc.

Must be on hell of an inclined parking lot to justify 4low??

Low range is for rock crawling, or pulling something out of a ditch, or serious uphill/downhill offroad stuff.

Manual or auto?

BB

put it in neutral put it in 4H, then put it in reverse for 15 ft then forward and that should do the ticket.

Okay, so first I will start out with MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

So my dad and I went to our warehouse today to shovel more snow and to make sure that our reefer trailer was running. We drove there in his 2006 Toyota Tacoma Acess Cab 4wd SR5 with the 4-cylinder engine. We drove in 4-High on the way there, but to get in and out of the parking lot we used 4-Low. Then when we went to leave the pickup would not go out of 4-Low. It is stuck in 4-low and wont change to 2-High or 4-High. The pickup only has 46,000 miles on it and my dad has babied it since new. Could it just be a fuse or rely? If so where are the at?

Thanks,

-mt-

Dang it seems as if I am always having Toyota problems lately!

Does it beep and make the light blink? It may be bound up from some dry pavement. If it blinks, its gotten the command to shift out, the process isnt complete till the light stops blinking. If tis bound up, maybe slide the tranny into neutral, or maybe back up, or drive forward/straight and lightly "snap" the throttle, sometimes thats all it takes.

It has a 5-speed manual tranny.

Well the parking lot is pretty level, but with the stock POS tire still on it (soon to be upgraded with wheels) and the truck being so light it doesnt go through 2 feet of snow easily.

-mt-

Does it beep and make the light blink? It may be bound up from some dry pavement. If it blinks, its gotten the command to shift out, the process isnt complete till the light stops blinking. If tis bound up, maybe slide the tranny into neutral, or maybe back up, or drive forward/straight and lightly "snap" the throttle, sometimes thats all it takes.

Well the light does flash and he did try the snap throttle trick.

But there is no beep in 4-Low like usual. Now it beeps when we switch it to 2-High and 4-High but no beep in 4-Low. It is really wierd and has never done anything like this?

Thanks,

-mt-

Well the 4wd unit just froze up. We put the truck halfway in the garage and let it run for a while and then the 4wd unit worked again. Guess it just froze up, but it still worried us.

Thanks again guys,

-mt-

Do you use the 4x4 often?

My Toyota Tacoma manual says something about driving it in 4x4 for at least 20 miles/month - of course thats not on dry pavement but on gravelly or dirt roads in my case. This instruction in manual may have something to do with keeping the front shaft splines lubed and used??

Maybe a Toy-Tech could add some content here as to why exaxctly.

Your case sounds like its sluggish, thats all. Check the x-fer case and diff fluid levels. Then shift it in and out of 4x4 at every opportunity for a while when ever driving and conditions allow.

BB

That is good advice. My dad never used to put his truck in 4wd unless he really needed it, and wound up having it not want to kick out of 4wd. Engaging it every now and then just keeps all the mechanisms freed up, as well as the splines & u-joints lubed up. Keeps the wear more even all around, as well.

I have the same model except for the V6. I use the 4 high once and a while, on the asphalt, in a straight line. I'll use 4 low while driving in the dirt for the same reason. Make sure everything works.

Vegas weather dosen't require 4x4, but I got stuck once at the lake by myself in a 4x2. Big ordeal, no cell phone in those days. A simple twist of a hub would have solved the problem.

Do you use the 4x4 often?

My Toyota Tacoma manual says something about driving it in 4x4 for at least 20 miles/month - of course thats not on dry pavement but on gravelly or dirt roads in my case. This instruction in manual may have something to do with keeping the front shaft splines lubed and used??

Maybe a Toy-Tech could add some content here as to why exaxctly.

Your case sounds like its sluggish, thats all. Check the x-fer case and diff fluid levels. Then shift it in and out of 4x4 at every opportunity for a while when ever driving and conditions allow.

BB

It's recommended to do this to keep the sliders, gears and bearings well lubed. So when you need it, this doesn't happen.

It's the same way with A/C systems. We would always see loads of A/C problems in the spring time. If you do not use your A/C occasionally, seals can dry up and leak.