:banghead: I SUCK at cornering!

I have been practicing my cornering for a really long time and I just cant be consistent in them. My front wheel always wants to push up out of the corner or rut. My lean angle is really good, but halfway through the turn I start to dab my foot and get highsided. Anybody have any tips? I almost drag bars in the corner I am practicing and I have done it several times, I just cant ever be consistent with it :busted:

try applying the front brake lightly to make the front wheel have drag so it will get better traction. that should help your tire from pushing.

Sounds like you are not looking far enough through the turn.

When I'm at my best cornering I have picked my line well in advance,

and it seems like I'm in the flow of things and looking at the big picture.

When I'm having a tough time with cornering is when I'm thinking too much and I get fixated with the ruts. I then find myself doing too much work with my arms to stay in a rut. And I am just that "In a rut"!

:busted: Thats the same thing with me, sometimes when Im out riding by myself and nobody is watching me I can rail them like crazy but when someone watches me (mainly dad) I think I try too hard to do good. He said if I showed him speed and agression this year that we would go to LL for '09 and that pressure kinda builds as I get farther along this season

slower is faster.....slow down and rail the first half, then look way ahead like dogfish. The ruts will take care of themselves......I look at the rut only to find it going in, then I look at the next obstacle on the track, jump, whoops, whatever....dogfish nail it...look way ahead

now I do try to look ahead, but I always find myself trying to look at the rut haha. So Should I not even look at it once I'm in it?

get all your braking done before the turn and once your in it look ahead for your exit line and gas it,, only take your foot off when your on the gas.

I used to take my foot off to early cuz id see pros do it bu tthey are on the gas way earlier than i could do and it was just throwing off my balance.

good to sit back a little on long sweepers and tip the bike in like a flat tracker.

watch vids of guys like RC and villopoto too.

All I can tell you is how I deal with ruts.

I pick the line or rut that I want to follow,

put my front tire in it, and look up immediately.

So to answer your question.....

don't look at it once your in it....

if you have been looking down at the rut in the past,

it can be a hard habit to break.

good luck

slower is faster.....slow down and rail the first half, then look way ahead like dogfish. The ruts will take care of themselves......I look at the rut only to find it going in, then I look at the next obstacle on the track, jump, whoops, whatever....dogfish nail it...look way ahead

"dogfish"?

I am so new to riding MX but I have been riding AMA Moto GP since I was 8. My instructors always taught me as you enter a corner you should be thinking of your next corner not thinking about what you are doing at that point. The bike will ALWAYS go were your eyes are looking no matter what find your rut/line, then look to your next corner.

If you're trying to drag bars and look cool you'll fail at hard cornering every time.

When you do a bermed corner just right you'll shoot around it like oats through a goose.

I was washing out quite a bit when I got back into MX racing. I had been on quads for several years. I was not sitting far enough forward in the corners and my front wheel would wash too often. After going to Semic's course, I learned that the "neutra" position is really way farther forward than I was currently sitting.

Like someone else said, use your front brake, I also do better when I stay on my rear brake all the way into the APEX of the corner (that advice came from Gary), get forward with your head over the bars, and look ahead. Slower and correct will make you faster in the long run.

I am having the same problem but maybe worse. I am new to the 450 and my front wheel wants to knife in towards the inside of the turn. Mostly happens when the turn is very soft....I think I am steering too much....thoughts.....thanks

I am having the same problem but maybe worse. I am new to the 450 and my front wheel wants to knife in towards the inside of the turn. Mostly happens when the turn is very soft....I think I am steering too much....thoughts.....thanks

The cure for front end push is to get weight on the front wheel. look at the pros, there chests are pratically touching the bars they are leaning so far foward to get weight on the front. I am not the best at turns, but for me, that was the cure. Nuts on the gas tank, chest almost on the bars leaning foward to weight the front, it has drastically improved how I corner.

I still cant take an inside line in a turn for crap though

I am so new to riding MX but I have been riding AMA Moto GP since I was 8. My instructors always taught me as you enter a corner you should be thinking of your next corner not thinking about what you are doing at that point. The bike will ALWAYS go were your eyes are looking no matter what find your rut/line, then look to your next corner.

Well this is way diffrent than riding on street, u dont look at a corner any more, now u have 20 diffrent thing in front of u at time's. riding on a mx track u halft to think alot more than u do riding a street bike. But yes more than likey wear ever you look your bike should go, but it dont all ways work like that.

The cure for front end push is to get weight on the front wheel. look at the pros, there chests are pratically touching the bars they are leaning so far foward to get weight on the front. I am not the best at turns, but for me, that was the cure. Nuts on the gas tank, chest almost on the bars leaning foward to weight the front, it has drastically improved how I corner.

I still cant take an inside line in a turn for crap though

Thanks Racer808.....Actually my front tire is not washing out but wants to grab and knife towards the inside of the turn. I really have to push with my inside grip to keep it going in the right direction. I sometimes think I am steering the bike with the handlebars instead of leaning it over and let the bike naturally turn......Seems to be worse when the track is soft... any help would be great.....PS...I see you are from CO, where do you ride? I am up in Fort Collins and ride VDR mostly....

Thanks Racer808.....Actually my front tire is not washing out but wants to grab and knife towards the inside of the turn. I really have to push with my inside grip to keep it going in the right direction. I sometimes think I am steering the bike with the handlebars instead of leaning it over and let the bike naturally turn......Seems to be worse when the track is soft... any help would be great.....PS...I see you are from CO, where do you ride? I am up in Fort Collins and ride VDR mostly....

We ride all over, I am ten minuntes away from thunder valley so we go there quite a bit. We hit VDR, watkins, IMI, sometimes make the trip to Aztec. Pretty much every weekend when the weather is decent we are somewhere. How old is your boy? My two sons are 11 & 9 and ride mostly the big tracks with the big boys, but my daughter is on a 50 and has to stick to the kids tracks. Perhaps we will see you out one of these times.

We ride all over, I am ten minuntes away from thunder valley so we go there quite a bit. We hit VDR, watkins, IMI, sometimes make the trip to Aztec. Pretty much every weekend when the weather is decent we are somewhere. How old is your boy? My two sons are 11 & 9 and ride mostly the big tracks with the big boys, but my daughter is on a 50 and has to stick to the kids tracks. Perhaps we will see you out one of these times.

Thanks Racer808.....My son just turned 12...rides a cr85...rides mostly the main track at Berthoud..We been to TV a few times..We head down to Aztec every once in a while...

90% of the time when my front end tucks it's because I'm trying to "steer" the bike instead of leaning it. Another clue is that you find that your inside leg is always being dragged to the back of the bike. If you tuck and over rotate (rear end drifts way out), you're probably not looking down the track far enough as well.

90% of the time when my front end tucks it's because I'm trying to "steer" the bike instead of leaning it. Another clue is that you find that your inside leg is always being dragged to the back of the bike. If you tuck and over rotate (rear end drifts way out), you're probably not looking down the track far enough as well.

Thanks Mark. My son and I went to the track yesterday and I worked on my turns. You were correct about what I was doing wrong. I started to lean the bike over alot more, stay on the gas, and REALLY weight the outside peg. The front wheel did not knife towards the inside of the turn, not even once...I do think I was steering way too much......A great day at the track....