250 Differences 1993/2000

Hey guys. Is there any difference between a '93 model XR250 and a 2000 model, besides the obvious paint schemes? I'm looking at purchasing one of these and they're both the same price. I would have to travel about 300 miles to get the 2000 one but the '93 is about 2 miles from me. Thanks. :busted:

OK. I guess they got a re-design in '96.

My friend bought a new 1996 XR250, then found such a good deal on a new 1995 XR250, he bought that one too. So he had 2 new XR250's to compare.

He claimed that the power was so similar, you could not tell the difference unless you rode them back to back. The 1995 XR250 had more relaxed geometry, so it was more stable at speed. The 1996 was nicer in tight woods.

He did develop a strong preference for the 1996 (last revision :busted:) XR250R.

I've ridden both of his bikes and they are good bikes.

I agree that one of those bikes could be mis priced. You won't know until you have seen the bikes. I've seen "average" bike that were nearly perfect and some bikes advertised as "excellent" that were roached out rusting hulks.

Good luck. I'd have a preference for the newer XR250, but not if it is battered.

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated. The gentleman sold the newer one so that one is out of the picture now. I'm not really bummed because although it had quite a few mods (280cc kit, Hot Cam, Mikuni, full exhaust) It looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet.

I haven't seen the '93 yet, but it belongs to a friend who works in a local Zook/Kawa/KTM dealership. He stripped it down and did a refurbish; paint frame, rebuild engine etc. I guess he started re-assemling it, but never got around to finishing it. The engine is stock besides a Hot Cam. I'm hoping to check it out this weekend.

By the way, he's asking a thousand for it.

Thanks for the responses everyone, much appreciated. The gentleman sold the newer one so that one is out of the picture now. I'm not really bummed because although it had quite a few mods (280cc kit, Hot Cam, Mikuni, full exhaust) It looked like it had been ridden hard and put away wet.

I haven't seen the '93 yet, but it belongs to a friend who works in a local Zook/Kawa/KTM dealership. He stripped it down and did a refurbish; paint frame, rebuild engine etc. I guess he started re-assemling it, but never got around to finishing it. The engine is stock besides a Hot Cam. I'm hoping to check it out this weekend.

By the way, he's asking a thousand for it.

Pre-'96 cant use Hotcams... Other companies might have made a cam for it like webcam or HRC? I've discussed this with Hotcams Tech Support. The Hotcam for the '96-'04 XR250R will not fit a '86-'95 XR250R/L. Unless... the head is off of a '96-'04. Either way I'd be wary. If you can straighten out the cam issue the price seems decent depending how put together it is.