im torn between a 2 and a 4.

so my plan is to get a new bike come spring, hopefully get a new 2008 thats sitting on the showroom floor still to save a few bucks. ive riden a 2 stroke since i was little. its all i know, do alot of trails and some racing. so do i get a 2008 yz 250, a 2008 crf450 or the new 09 crf450? i mean the 2stroke is cheaper, easier to work on, etc etc etc. but there is the 4stroke, i mean how do u decide, any input would be great.

Think about what YOU want in a motorcycle. The advantages to each are pretty straightforward.

For me, I will get a4 stroke when I feel it will give me some real advantages that I need and use. Otherwise, why take a chance on expensive repairs???

I suppose at the point when I get a 4t, I will also budget a way to trade them every two years as that sounds like a way to limit the huge repairs.

Your are asking guys in a 2t forum wether to buy a 2t or a 4t, my guess is 99% of all replys will be for the smoker. You said you ride mostly trails, the smoker is definately better in the woods, lighter, better turning, easier starting. You already know the smokers are way cheaper to purchase and maintane. The only positive thing I can think to say for the thumper is they have amazing traction and you can lug the bike easier. Merry X-Mass.

MAX!!!

Your are asking guys in a 2t forum wether to buy a 2t or a 4t, my guess is 99% of all replys will be for the smoker. You said you ride mostly trails, the smoker is definately better in the woods, lighter, better turning, easier starting. You already know the smokers are way cheaper to purchase and maintane. The only positive thing I can think to say for the thumper is they have amazing traction and you can lug the bike easier. Merry X-Mass.

MAX!!!

2 stroke!

Like scooter says, ride both and see. I love the power spread of the 450's, but I hate the weight when in the tight stuff. My favorite trails are the ones that you can ride all day and manage 9 miles, so a 4T doesn't fit my style. But I have been trying to make my smoker have a more 4T like power band. Compromise either way you go.

I weight really much of a factor anymore?? The crf honda weighs about 8 lbs more than our aluminum yz 250's. It is said to weigh 228. Thats within 2-3 lbs of what the reported weights were for the steel framed yz 250's.

The last 450 I rode did sort of "feel" heavier, but I dont think it was enough to annoy me. I hope that made even a tiny amount of sense. I think the torque of the 450 made it "ride" heavier for lack of a better description.

get the smoker! I started on a 450 stroker then i traded it to a 250 smoker and loved it so much, but the bike was junk. i then cut my losses and sold it and bought a 200 stroker. i thought this bike to be in much better condition, but i was wrong. i still loved the power though. after selling the 200 i bought an almost new 250 stroker, i thought it would be awesome. well at first it was, but that was probably mainly because i was riding a basically new bike. now 3 months down the road im getting ready to trade my 08 stroker for an 05 250 smoker tomorrow. im not even asking for much cash just because i wanna make sure the deal goes through because i want a smoker so bad again. so long story short........GET THE SMOKER!

BTW i ride 95% woods and 80% of that is single track and i have not found one better bike then a 250 smoker for this, especially the yammis.

I weight really much of a factor anymore?? The crf honda weighs about 8 lbs more than our aluminum yz 250's. It is said to weigh 228. Thats within 2-3 lbs of what the reported weights were for the steel framed yz 250's.

The last 450 I rode did sort of "feel" heavier, but I dont think it was enough to annoy me. I hope that made even a tiny amount of sense. I think the torque of the 450 made it "ride" heavier for lack of a better description.

I think it depends on the use. A KLX450 in an open sandwash doesn't feel heavy. A CRF250 in ubber tight transitioning single track feels like it has a bowling ball strapped to the top of the tank. My opinion anyway.

I think it depends on the use. A KLX450 in an open sandwash doesn't feel heavy. A CRF250 in ubber tight transitioning single track feels like it has a bowling ball strapped to the top of the tank. My opinion anyway.

I think I understand....The weight does feel higher up. Similar to riding with a full tank vs riding with a tank near empty. And yes, the competitive weights dont really stay around once the lights and electric start are offered.

They have made great strides in the engine brakign dept. The wr 400 I have in the garage will just about pitch you over the bars when you close the throttle.

all you yamiers, you think he will listen? that's not what he wants to hear! :moon:

if this is all about "loving" your money and putting it into "good use" then buy the '09 450 4-joke.... they say the big red is the best bike in recent times and many more years to come ? ....how's that for a psych :busted:

and moreover, if you're heart says follow the red, just let your cerebral powers go thru with it, just close your eyes when the bill for top-end repairs come by.... at least you're pschologically-guaranteed that you've got the best bike in the whole-wide-world :eek:

GO RED!

life is peaceful there, go red in the open air, go red where the sky is red, go red this is what we're gonna do :mad:

so my plan is to get a new bike come spring, hopefully get a new 2008 thats sitting on the showroom floor still to save a few bucks. ive riden a 2 stroke since i was little. its all i know, do alot of trails and some racing. so do i get a 2008 yz 250, a 2008 crf450 or the new 09 crf450? i mean the 2stroke is cheaper, easier to work on, etc etc etc. but there is the 4stroke, i mean how do u decide, any input would be great.

Unless you are very, VERY passionate about MX racing, I wouldn't even remotely consider the purchase of a CRF450R. There's really no reason to drop so much coin on a 450 thumper for mostly trail riding. A 250 smoker that is set up properly for your type of riding would work out best for you in my opinion. They have plenty of usable power, are fairly cheap to own and operate, and the fun factor is most definitely there. I would try to find a really nice used one, or at least a leftover model like you referred to above. The cost savings could be significant over the long haul when you look at the total cost of ownership.