Fatbars on 83 XC

Found a way to mount 1 1/8 bars on my 83 XC250..I was looking at my parts bike 05 YZ250 and noticed that the applied triple trees on the bike looked very similar to the ones on the husky. I took them off and sure enough the bar mounts worked great in the husky top tree..I bought the applied trees off ebay for $30 a couple of years ago...

Can you send a picture of what you did to get the fat bars to work? You actually used Yamaha triples for the 40mm forks? Please let us know. This could be a well kept secret? Thanks. Mike

Sorry. My bad, you used the handle bar clamps off the Applied triples. Do they allow you to slide the forks up and down in the clamps? Mike

You can buy a $30-40 set of Pro Taper clamps, drill the husky sleeves out for the slightly bigger mounting bolt, and your in business.

Scoott,

DO you have any pics of your frame rake. I am interested to see were you put the steering stops..Did you move the tank forward? I was thinking of putting the tank a inch forward and drilling throught the frame and welding in a sleeve to attach the tank to the frame..It looks like there is room between the gas tank and the fork tubes to allow for full side to side movement of the forks...

Scoot,

did you get The PM I sent yesterday

Any pic's?? I really need fat bar clamps for my flexx bars. I was going to have a set of billet clamps made...

I've put 5 sets of the Pro Taper clamps on 80's Huskies. With the offset post it actually gives you the option of close to stock or a moved forward position. Since I am 6'3", I prefer to move the bars ahead.Only thing you need to do is drill out the Husky sleeve to fit the larger mount bolt.

And throw away the bar clamp bolts and replace with stronger bolts. I broke 3 bolts torquing down with a 1/4" T-handle.

The Pro-Taper mounts are also black, so they look like they were meant to be there.

Sorry, don't have any Pics, Maybe I'll try to get some. I modestly think I have the trickest 83-84's I've seen. But I'm always open to ideas.

At the Washougal Hammer&Tongs race last year, the fastest rider there (Ex pro motocrosser Grayson Hart) told me he thought my 500 Husky went through the whoops as good as anything there.

Scott

Thanks for more info., I crushed my arm in '04 and the FLEXX bars are a necessity! I will be racing my ' 82 430 and 420 this year.

I can relate......I got both hands in a hay baler when I was 10 years old. COuntless surgeries over 3 years and I ended up with 2 3/4 fingers on one hand and 3 1/4 on the other. Then I decided to pick motorcycle racing as my sport for life.

I have always fought to hold onto the bars.

Haven't tried flex bars yet.....keep hoping someone will show up at my track that I can talk into trying.

Damn Scoott, thanks for the inspiration. You are a true hero and I am so glad motocross has become your sport after all you have been through. I hope to meet you at one of the VDR this winter or a Hammer and Tong events this summer.

I really want to see pictures of your 500 Husky, please post some or PM me and I will send you my email address. I plan to build a 84 XC500 after I finish my current XC250 project and need some great ideas. It sounds very trick. Do you know of anyone using an aluminum swingarm with the Huskys? They are pretty common with the Maico crowd.

Mike

The amount of shock they absorb is really impressive, my first 3 enduro's after "healing" were really bad - I could only ride 10~ miles without stopping 5-10 minutes(race lost!!), I bought the flexx bars($400~ ouch!) and I could ride 35~ miles the first enduro - MUCH improved! For me the bars are revolutionary, almost like going from 4" of travel to 10". In the end the bars are VERY cheap when I consider what they do for me! Thanks to them I won my class for the year so they do work if you have upper body problems.

I can relate......I got both hands in a hay baler when I was 10 years old. COuntless surgeries over 3 years and I ended up with 2 3/4 fingers on one hand and 3 1/4 on the other. Then I decided to pick motorcycle racing as my sport for life.

I have always fought to hold onto the bars.

Haven't tried flex bars yet.....keep hoping someone will show up at my track that I can talk into trying.