xr400 battery add on?

yeah all i am in the middle of making my xr steet legal and wanted to no if i could add a battery to my xr for better lighting abilty? and if so how would i go about wiring it up so it would charge? the bike is completly torn down so if anyone has any ideas shot em at me thanx :busted:

I'm in the same situation with my XR250. I was going to convert the whole system to DC, but decided against it. I would just get some led blinkers and hook them up to the battery. Put a tender pigtail on it and plug it in when you aren't riding it. It will be much simpler and cheaper in the long run.

I had a Baja Designs kit installed on my bike but the 10 AA battery pack that came with it was dead. Instead of spending $40 for another battery pack I went down to the local battery store (Batteries +) and bought a sealed battery with twice the juice as the AA kit for only $25 with a 1 year warrenty. They had smaller ones available if needed but I just wanted the biggest one I could fit. Here is what it looks like. My AA battery kit was fastened on the upper side of the airbox between the box and the seat. This new battery is inside of the airbox.

battery1.jpg

battery.jpg

i was thinking some where along the lines of a small lawnmower battery thats 12 voltys then charge it up at night when im not riding? think that would work i could fab a battery mount under the subframe or wher my air box used 2 be sense it will be no more

I had a Baja Designs kit installed on my bike but the 10 AA battery pack that came with it was dead. Instead of spending $40 for another battery pack I went down to the local battery store (Batteries +) and bought a sealed battery with twice the juice as the AA kit for only $25 with a 1 year warrenty. They had smaller ones available if needed but I just wanted the biggest one I could fit. Here is what it looks like. My AA battery kit was fastened on the upper side of the airbox between the box and the seat. This new battery is inside of the airbox.

battery1.jpg

battery.jpg

:busted:

-how did you wire it up to chraging system or do you charge it sepretly?

almost 300 dollers for stator rewind if i am correct ther battery add on should be cheap and easy i hope and get the same effect

Correct. The battery pack will charge up during normal riding and will provide a full 12V at low engine speeds.

My bike was already wired up so all I had to do is plug it in to the existing plug which was just a bullet plug connector. This battery is very powerful and should last quite some time without the engine running so if it stalls out on the trail at night or on the road you can atleast see or be seen. They make a small flat battery that would be easy to mount that was only $20 for a 1.3mh. Mine is 2.3mh for only $25 so it is mighty strong. It will charge off of the charging system but I plan on connecting it up to the trickle charger once in awhile just incase. Ricky stator is where I plan on getting my upgraded stator from. I have plans to install a HID light up front so I can be seen well on the roads. I have read that you can modify a 400ex stator which is about 150 watts and it mounts up. Read that you have to soder 1 wire to a different location but then again for $150 you can get a quality product that you could depend on.

I installed a 200W Ricky Stator on my XR400 and now I can run two 55W lights at the same time and not loose light intensity at idle speed and it's a AC system which works just fine but now I want to step up to a HID system which requires a battery. If you install a battery and a regulator/rectifier you could run your stock stator and a HID light (35W) and your light won't dim at idle and you would have more light output than a 65W or 75W light on an AC system. HID stuff is on the spendy side, but you wouldn't have to open your side case on your engine. I have to use a bigger battery on my bike to handle the 200W stator. Interstate Batteries has a sealed one that measures 23/4 x 31/2 x 4. A little too big for what I want but I'd have to go back to my stock stator and I would waste the $150.00 I spent on this one. It all depends on how much light you want and if you want your choice to allow other options later if you want something different. You know how it goes....If a little's good, a lot is better. Here's a pic of my current system, but I will be shopping for HID stuff in the next few months.0901081219b.jpg

• Like 1

Holy lights batman:) That is some setup you got there. I am lucky as I have a buddy that does HID on the side so he is going to hook me up. He recommends I have a bigger stator just to cover that initial startup load. My stock stator would be maxed and he is afraid of burning it up. Good luck with the HID lights. I night ride on the dunes with my buddies that have the HID and I ride off of thier lights because they turn the night into daylight....

Holy lights batman:) That is some setup you got there. I am lucky as I have a buddy that does HID on the side so he is going to hook me up. He recommends I have a bigger stator just to cover that initial startup load. My stock stator would be maxed and he is afraid of burning it up. Good luck with the HID lights. I night ride on the dunes with my buddies that have the HID and I ride off of thier lights because they turn the night into daylight....

Yea HID is the way to go. I recomend Ricky Stator if you're going to buy one from somebody. I have used their stators in some of my other bikes in the past and they have been easy to deal with and will answer any questions about any part of installation or system configuration. I'd like to see a pic of your light when it's done. I like to see what other people do for lights because of the limited space on a bike you have to get creative. I'll have to do a search for any threads that have pics of lights.

I believe my buddy will just modify the stock housing somehow. Atleast that is what he did for the quad lights he does. I think he said the 8k white light is the best light for street use as to not draw to much attention from the popo:) but still be very bright. I will post when I do get them done. It could be a few months.

First off, if you want to add a battery and be able to charge it from your existing stator, all you need to do is get a new voltage regulator that is also a rectifier (converts it out put to dc) as other have stated here. this first option will allow you to charge a battery while you ride. With d/c you can operate blinkers (yes they need d/c) and maybe a gps so you dont need to keep changing batteries in your garmin.

Procycycle sells one at 40 bucks that works great.

Basickly the Baja Designs kit (the complete one) all it does is supply you with a small battery pack that allows you to operate blinkers, a recifier (actually in this case a diod that converts your a/c power to d/c so your batter pack gets recharged, some blinkers, replacment headlight so you can have hi/lo beams, a handlebar switch for lights, tail light with break light switch. Most of these items you can come up with on your own and save some money. http://www.4strokes.com/tech/dualsprt.asp <-- Do it your self Dual-Sport kit

Just make sure you know what is required for your state inspection (in TX we dont need blinkers)

If you want more output to run higher wattage lights then you really need to replace your stator with one that puts out more power, your options are (like was stated above by many other here) use a 200 watt from after market like Ricky Stator, or install a Honda TRX400ex stator (good for around 100 watts) or rewind yours yourself.

Note: your stock xr400 stator is only about 60 watts output. Originally designed to operate the stock 35 watt head light and a tail light.

That is why the head light gets dim at idle when people replace the stock 35w light with a 55 watt unit. And your stock voltage regulator only regulates the voltage, your output is still a/c.

You need more power to operate more lighting! you can not just install a battery for the lights unless you want to just run the light off the battery for how ever long it lasts. And if you want more powerful lights it would just suck the life out of the battery faster. Your best option is to install or rewind you stator to match the output needed to run the more powerful lights.

And if you want to operate blinkers or other things that require d/c then yea install a battery and change your regulator to a regulator/rectifier so you can recharge your battery as you ride!

Links for you to use:

http://www.procycle.us/dskits/dskit.htm <--- voltage regulator/rectifier and other dual sport items

http://rickystator.com/pages/XR650stator.html <-- Ricky Stator

http://www.all-offroad.com/DirtBikes/TrailTips/XRStatorRewind.html <--Rewind your stator

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/images/xr4elect.gif <-- your wiring diagram

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/brpstatr.asp <--Another stator rewind

http://www.4strokes.com/tech/honda/xr4stator/ <-- Stator install info

I run the TRX400ex stator and regulator/rectifier. As a matter of fact, I use the entire 400ex electric wiring harness so the stock Honda regulator/rectifier and all the other plugs work together. But that was the easy way since I was converting to electric start also all parts from a 400ex.

None of these mods are really very hard, Good luck let us know how it works out.

• Like 2

• 12 years later...