Need advice for a Dual Sport

I've been contemplating purchasing a dual sport. Currently I own a few 2strokes and would like something street legal (CA). I keep coming back to the DRZ for my next bike (Husky and KTM are too expensive). My question is do I get a SM or the dual sport, I would probably use it 70/30 (street/dirt), but I would like to have both SM and dirt wheels and tires. What exactly is different between the SM and dual sport version other than the wheels and tires? BTW, I live in Southern CA and so I need a bike that comes factory street legal, its almost impossible to convert a bike here. Whatcha guys think?

I think the S is more universal and unless you want SM style and ultimate street (racer) traction, S wheels with universal tires work pretty well for street use.

Because you live in California & say you will be 70/30 street you might want to go with the DRZ. Now for the tough decision whether the S or the SM. There are pro's & con's for both. With the exception of the wheels & tires, forks & swing arm they are pretty much the same bike. The SM is more money initially but if you buy a set of off road wheels & tires you can get them cheaper than if you were to buy an S & get the SM wheels & tires. Like Noble said you can get a set of street oriented tires for the 21" / 18" on the S that will work good. I don't think you would go wrong with the DRZ. It won't rip your arms out of the sockets in stock from but you can make it faster with a pipe. Then if you add the other common performance products like the FCR & Hot cams it gets very respectable power. I don't think that for the money you can go wrong for reliability.

I went SM and got a set of dirt wheels and love the versatility of the bike. :moon: It's like way fun on the road and pretty good off. :busted: Just a bit on the heavy side for dirt but fun.:p

good luck on your decision

:mad:

wheels & tires

fork & swingarm

brakes

front fender

for 70/30 get the S.

Keep in mind that the DRZ is a trail bike when off road and not a MXer.

I've been contemplating purchasing a dual sport. Currently I own a few 2strokes and would like something street legal (CA). I keep coming back to the DRZ for my next bike (Husky and KTM are too expensive). My question is do I get a SM or the dual sport, I would probably use it 70/30 (street/dirt), but I would like to have both SM and dirt wheels and tires. What exactly is different between the SM and dual sport version other than the wheels and tires? BTW, I live in Southern CA and so I need a bike that comes factory street legal, its almost impossible to convert a bike here. Whatcha guys think?

Dude, you have a CR250 and a CR500. Why not get a DRZ400SM? The dual-sport is an incredible bike, but you seem to have the off-road side of things covered.:busted: