Brake switch options

Hi all,I have a couple questions. I bought a 07 650R about a month ago and have been getting it ready for DS. I have searched and found most answers I have needed. I would like your input on brake switches - I am aware of all the hydraulic units but also I have read of units leaking and failing so I would like to either find out who sells the best quality hydraulic or I want to install mechanical - back is easy but what about the front - any ideas?

Also can anyone tell me where I can purchase a 16T front sprocket - I found them talked about here from Sprocket Specialties but I could not find them in the catalog and I emailed them weeks ago - no response.

Final question - when I search these forums and enter say "mechanical brake switch" the search function always breaks it up into individual words and I imagine there is a way to get it to search the entire phrase?

Anyway this is a great library of information - Thanks

I have yet to find a decent hydro switch for the front,Iv'e been through 3 in two years.(no leakers though)One didn't work out of the package! The original B\D lasted about a year.The other two were kinda generic.

I think the main thing is not to overtighten.?

Mechanical brake switches suck. Big time. They are hard to get set right. One little bump and then you have no brake light because they are out of alignment. With the frame setup on the 650R, I cannot think of a good place to even mount a switch so that it can't move around without doing something that shouldn't be done.

I've yet to have a hydraulic brake switch leak. Although I only run them on the rear brake, no issues. And I just run the cheap one out of the WPS catalog. Nothing fancy and it always works. I don't ride on the street very much, so I am not too worried about not having the light hooked to the front brake (although I do use the front brake way, way more). I just make sure to use the rear brake on the street when I am forced to ride there.

On the front brake m/c, the hydralich units still work, but it is very easy to damage the wires as they leave the switch making the switch just a larger more expensive banjo bolt.

WPS catalog

I've seen WPS parts mentioned in several threads but I can't find what WPS stands so I don't know what products they make. Is there a WPS product catalog online somewhere? Thanks.

I've seen WPS parts mentioned in several threads but I can't find what WPS stands so I don't know what products they make. Is there a WPS product catalog online somewhere? Thanks.

WPS is Western Power Sports. One of the "big three" among dirt bike part distributors (with the other two being Parts Unlimited and Tucker Rocky).

You can look at their catalog(s) online at http://www.wps-inc.com/wps/WICATALOG1.pgm?CICID=DT

or...

The TT Store is also a WPS dealer. So you can view the catalog here. Or just type in p/n 56-4257 (10x1.00mm) or 56-4258 (10x1.25mm) into the TT store search line (for WPS) depending on which size of bolt you need.

Thanks!

Couple things I don't like about the hyd. switches. 1. They don't activate the light till you put quite a bit of pressure to them. I like my bikes set up so I can show someone a brake light without really getting into them. Is there a fix to this? Short of installing a mechanical switch that will lose its adjustment anyway? 2.like eistrich said, the wire setup for the fronts are crap. Lot of cussing involved.