09 TXC450 ride review

Ive finally had the oportunity to ride the new bike. She is all stock with the exception of cycra handguards and numbers. First lets go over some stuff I noticed or found on my pre ride prep-

1. The bike is the most beutifull bike Ive ever seen, the thing looks like factory race bike right off the showroom floor.:eek:

2. The radiator shrouds are a pain to install.:busted:

3. It had little to no grease on wheel, stering, shock linkage bearings.:moon:

4. I moved the bar clamp to the forward position and the bike seemed to fit me very well, at 6'6" this is the roomiest bike Ive ever sat on.:p

5. I wanted to check what jetting was in the carb as it sounded lean on the pilot while heat cycling the motor in the garage. Getting to the main and pilot are a complete nightmare, :mad: the worst Ive run into. After removing the subframe and disconecting the intake manifold I was able to get the carb twisted around enough to get to the jets, barely. Has a 180 main and 45 pilot, I left the main alone and went to a 48 pilot based on how it was running and what I read about Scott Summers jetting specs (he says he likes a 55 pilot). While I had the carb in a workable position I went ahead and installed a R&D flex jet fuel screw at 2 turns out. The needle is easy enough to get at by removing the fuel tank, stock clip position on the OBDVR is 4th down and I left it there.

6. The bike sounds lame with the spark arrestor insert and it makes a tweeting noise like you have a pigeon stuck in the tail pipe.

Now on to the fun stuff, the first ride-

I could hardley get away from the gas station on the maiden voyage because people kept coming up to the back of the truck to check out the bike and ask questions, I am normaly very patient with peoples questions but on this day it was pure torture trying to be polite to these folks when all I wanted to do was get this thing in the dirt. So after about 20 questions and a full tank of Chevron 100 octane unleaded, I was off.

Once at the riding spot, the bike fired in about 1/2 second with a quick stab to the button. I was running without the spark arrestor insert and the bike sounds like a full blown factory motocross bike. Ive got a 4 mile hare scrambles loop layed out that has a mixture of sand, mud, rocks, hillclimbs, ruts, and highspeed sections but its not very technical. The first thing I noticed was that the bike has a ton of power. It has a slow, long twist throttle that helps keep all that power feeeling smooth and hooked up. The motor has no real hit to it it just pulls and doesnt feel like it ever goes flat on top, at least not at the RPM I was willing to take it to on the first ride.

The suspension is harsh. Everything I have read says that these bikes need a good 15 hours of break in before the fork and shock start to move freely. I will let it break in before I coment on this much but for now its just harsh and its hard for me to believe it will get good without some serious valving work.

This bike handles like a dream,its a big fairly heavy bike but it carves a line on all types of turns and has realy good front tire bite. I was very suprised that it turns so good. It feels a little heavy but no worse than the old style KTM RFS and I havent riden the new style KTM to compare to. It desperatly needs a stering dampner, the bike goes dead strait but the bars twitch all over the place. I have one on order from Motosportz.

The brakes are excelent, great feel and super strong.

The trans ratios seem perfect and it shifts quicker than a formula 1 car. The hydro clutch has good feel.

I put the spark arrestor insert back in the pipe and went out again. The bike seems to make more power with it than without. It sounds lame on the bike stand but it sounds good when you are riding it, nice and quiet but still racey.

So thats my first impression. I love the bike and I think it will hold its own with any bike out there. Im looking forward to cashing in on lots of Husky bucks this season and most off all Im looking forward to whipping everyone on a KTM.

I forgot the pics.

huskytxc450002.jpghuskytxc450001.jpg

sweet bike how is the clutch pull. How does it turn in tight woods trail. Lock to lock stuff?

sweet bike how is the clutch pull. How does it turn in tight woods trail. Lock to lock stuff?

The clutch pull is light and smooth. I havent been able to ride any tight single track, all the spots are snowed in right now but Ive got a 70 mile single track loop that I cant wait to hit.

Mark, You ride a yamaha... now go back to Delaware!

Merry Christmas... dude and I hope to see you new years day at the annual trail ride.

HuskyRips

Dale,

You never know what could end up in the garage! Is the ride on the 1st or the weekend? Pm me details on the ride

How is the jetting afte you changed the pilot?

How is the jetting afte you changed the pilot?

jetting is good on pilot, no poping on decel and fuel screw seems happy at two turns out. The needle and main might be a little fat but I will leave it alone for now.

Nice bike. :busted:

Carb - loosen the carb over flow tubes and you can just spin it to access the main without even removing the carb or anything else. The needle you just pop the seat off and slide the black box off it;s tab and 2 bolts you can have at it. Once you get the process down it is super simple to rejet.

The suspension will most likely need revalved.

They do seem to run better with the SA screen in, more bottom end bark.

They turn awesome and are sensitive to fork height and sag settings.

Great choice IMHO. :moon:

Hey Ride, get that dampener on the way pronto, please. I guess Ill need some practice on carb access. What have you found to be a good baseline for sag and fork tube hight?

What series are you going to be racing on that thing?

You should rotate the front axle pull 180 degrees, or you will bend/break it

The Husky looks sooo much better than those KTM's that everyone seems to be buying these days.

Nice bike!

What series are you going to be racing on that thing?

Will be running the district 36 cross country series and the MRANN desert series. I might throw in some district enduros and the National enduro in Pine Nuts, NV (this years event was unreal, check out Tom Webs writeup in this months Dirt Bike mag.). You might even see me come down south and get a tast of that high speed stuff.

You should rotate the front axle pull 180 degrees, or you will bend/break it

The Husky looks sooo much better than those KTM's that everyone seems to be buying these days.

Nice bike!

Thanks, I didnt have the bike fully setup when I took the picture, had a brak in the rain so I rolled it out and took a couple shots. I noticed the axle after I posted the pics, rookie move.

Why on earth would you leave the spark arrestor out? Are you really willing to be 16 dB louder just to add 1 or 2 HP?

Why on earth would you leave the spark arrestor out? Are you really willing to be 16 dB louder just to add 1 or 2 HP?

I might not have made myself clear, I said I think the bike runs better with it in. The bike is still under 96 db with it out, so if the bike ran better then yes I would be willing to leave it out.

Put some silicone around the clip to keep away the chirping noise.

Will be running the district 36 cross country series and the MRANN desert series. I might throw in some district enduros and the National enduro in Pine Nuts, NV (this years event was unreal, check out Tom Webs writeup in this months Dirt Bike mag.). You might even see me come down south and get a tast of that high speed stuff.

There's a few of us Utahn's talking about hitting a particular MRAN race that apparently doesn't get ran that often, but not sure yet. If we do come I'll keep an eye out for that good looking bike. :busted:

Should race a few Hare and Hounds too - I'm sure ajaxauto would like the Husky company. :moon:

Check that - I just realized you're in the north! In that case, you should come to Wendover in September for the National Hare and Hound - that's a fun course. :busted:

Check that - I just realized you're in the north! In that case, you should come to Wendover in September for the National Hare and Hound - that's a fun course. :busted:

That might happen, I havent done a National Hare and Hound since Winnemuca, NV in 2003 or 4. See ya at the races.