pilot screw?

hey guys

my 03 is doin a bit of popping on decel and i was wondering if its the pilot screw i adjust to lean or richen the mixtures to stop the popping?

any help or advice greatly appreciated.

hey guys

my 03 is doin a bit of popping on decel and i was wondering if its the pilot screw i adjust to lean or richen the mixtures to stop the popping?

any help or advice greatly appreciated.

If your bike has just suddenly started doing this, then it may be dirt in your slow running circuit part of the carb.

If you're sure the carb's clean, go ahead and richen it up a bit.

To richen, try turning the mixture screw anti-clockwise 1/4 to 1/2 of a turn.

Usually helps reduce decell popping.

You can always put it back to how it was.

Andy.

How long has it been doing it? Did you take apart the carb recently, or did you have the header off? Do you live at high altitude, and now riding at low altitude? As Andy mentioned, richen the fuel screw 1/8 turn at a time. A little decel popping is ok. If richening the fuel screw makes the bike feel sluggish, it could indicate you're too rich and have a header leak. Did you tip the bike over on the right side? Maybe the header is bent.

Let us know how it goes.

Check to make sure the 2 bolts that clamp your exhaust headpipe to the engine head are tight.

If air is getting in here, you will get backfiring. :busted:

I've had my fuel back out before. I'd check that first it's an easy fix.

ii usually ride track and i get a small bit of popping but i went trail riding last week and i noticed a lot more especially when riding down hill and using the engine and gears to slow down.

is the mixture screw the pilot screw?

and is it the one located kinda underneath near the drain bolt?

thanks Dan!!!!!

just the info i needed yet when i searched i couldnt find any of that.