spray painting a helmet??

has anybody ever done it and should i use special paint?? my plan was to sand the helmet down really good then 3 coats of primer and two coats of paint.. am i dreaming or will this work?

I've heard that spray paint will somehow destroy the helmet shell but I'm not sure if I believe it.

like any good paint job, preparation is key.

if you crash (not fast enough to justify a new helmet...) it will scratch the paint off, making it where you have to re-paint

im gonna do 2 coats of clear coat

Well, it depends on what you think looks good and what you're going after.

If you're looking for a $400 Troy Lee quality paint job that's going to be very difficult without the right tools for the job.. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but it is difficult. Do you have an airbrush, paintgun, or anything like that? That will largely dictate what you can and can't do..

Well, it depends on what you think looks good and what you're going after.

If you're looking for a $400 Troy Lee quality paint job that's going to be very difficult without the right tools for the job.. I'm not saying it's impossible to do, but it is difficult. Do you have an airbrush, paintgun, or anything like that? That will largely dictate what you can and can't do..

yeah...

you can't rattlecan a helmet and expect it to look like it was made that way

im going for an all orange look like the MXA test riders helmets.. and no i dont have a air brush but my nieghbor does ill have to talk to him

I started out with a Badger single action airbrush with a small compressor (got it at a garage sale for $25). It worked okay for spraying small areas, but for a large area (like a finish coat of color or clear) over an entire helmet you almost need a touch-up gun or a regular gun. I eventually got a regular HVLP gun with a blower (compressor) and that worked great.

As for paints, PPG urethanes always worked really good for me. House of Kolor also makes some quality stuff.. One-Shot makes some nice pinstriping paint, and it's really affordable too, but it's not really compatible with other types of paint from what I"ve been told. I have sprayed urethane clear over it with no problem but that is one thing you should pay attention to- Try and use one "system" throughout the whole process.

One mistake I made was using old Reducer and Hardener (for the clearcoat). I had problem after problem.. then someone told me it had a shelf life of about 2 weeks after opening. :busted:

I have never done it nor do I know about any side affects from it but I will give you some tips.

Wet sand the entire helmet with 600 grit sand paper and make the entire helmet smooth. Make sure to tape up the areas you do not plan on painting before wet sanding. You want a flat smooth finish when you are done with this step. For the areas you can not reach with the sand paper you can use a gray scotch brite pad to get into the nooks and crannies. Then un tape the areas you masked off and blow it off with compressed air. After it dries mask them up again. Then you want to use a paint thinner or a wax and degreaser wearing laytex gloves and clean the area you are going to paint. Make sure not to touch the helmet with your skin. After this step you are ready for paint. Do a light coat covering the entire helmet but not laying color over all of it if that makes sence. Let it flash for about 10 mins in a warm 80 degree area. Then make you second coat and cover the entire helmet with color. If you missed some spots wait the flash time and cover them but make the areas even. If you plan on using clear coat let it flash again and follow the same steps as the color. If you want to make it really shiny I would put 3-4 coats of clear and let it set for a day in a warm temp. Then wet sand with 2000 grit and paper. Make sure to move over the entire helmet at the same time. In other words do not sand in one spot. After that take a buffer, a wool pad and and compound all of the sanding scratches out. After that take some polish and a polish pad and make it look good. The lighter the pressure the better for polish. If you have any questions pm me and I will be happy to answer them. Good Luck

I started out with a Badger single action airbrush with a small compressor (got it at a garage sale for $25). It worked okay for spraying small areas, but for a large area (like a finish coat of color or clear) over an entire helmet you almost need a touch-up gun or a regular gun. I eventually got a regular HVLP gun with a blower (compressor) and that worked great.

As for paints, PPG urethanes always worked really good for me. House of Kolor also makes some quality stuff.. One-Shot makes some nice pinstriping paint, and it's really affordable too, but it's not really compatible with other types of paint from what I"ve been told. I have sprayed urethane clear over it with no problem but that is one thing you should pay attention to- Try and use one "system" throughout the whole process.

One mistake I made was using old Reducer and Hardener (for the clearcoat). I had problem after problem.. then someone told me it had a shelf life of about 2 weeks after opening. :busted:

I prefer du pont over the ppg. But they all do the same thing. House of color is amazing but expensive.

I hear ya on the Reducer and Hardener. It makes for a bad day

Cost became a big factor for me because I painted for the "fun" of it and did most of it for free. Once I started buying reducer, hardener, clear, paints (especially pearls or candy) it got expensive!!! Considering some of it has a shelf life, you should plan to do your projects within that shelf life period. If you have any friends that want anything done, do it for them during that time and have them help out with the costs if you can.

I remember dropping well over $100 one time for supplies to do just 1 helmet. It got to be a little crazy, but if you enjoy it then you'll probably overlook that. The pearl was pretty expensive, but it added a really nice effect to my work. Just mix a few drops in your clearcoat and it'll come out nice!!

Flake and leaf are a couple of things that I always wanted to try but never did.. One day maybe.. I have an all white full face (car helmet) on the shelf just waiting for the day :busted:

Thanks Roost. I knew there'd be a painter on here to give some good advice. I'm sure mottomat appreciates it, as do I.

I forgot all about the wetsanding and flashing.. thanks for catching that.

I haven't painted anything in about 7 or 8 yrs but I have this helmet up there calling my name now. I just might do it.

SO you like DuPont better-- Maybe I'll give that a try. One thing I always found frustrating (with painting helmets) is that it was hard to buy the quality stuff in small quanitities. Hobby stores sell paints in small quantities but it's usually not what we're looking for with helmets. Any thing you can suggest to save $ on that would be appreciated-

The One-Shot worked and looked good, but I know it's not a urethane so I do have concerns about compatability, even though it did work for me a few times with urethane clear. One-Shot is especially nice because it's cheap ($5 per can), comes in small quanities, and was easily reduced and worked well in the airbrush.

Cost became a big factor for me because I painted for the "fun" of it and did most of it for free. Once I started buying reducer, hardener, clear, paints (especially pearls or candy) it got expensive!!! Considering some of it has a shelf life, you should plan to do your projects within that shelf life period. If you have any friends that want anything done, do it for them during that time and have them help out with the costs if you can.

I remember dropping well over $100 one time for supplies to do just 1 helmet. It got to be a little crazy, but if you enjoy it then you'll probably overlook that. The pearl was pretty expensive, but it added a really nice effect to my work. Just mix a few drops in your clearcoat and it'll come out nice!!

Flake and leaf are a couple of things that I always wanted to try but never did.. One day maybe.. I have an all white full face (car helmet) on the shelf just waiting for the day :busted:

Ya paint is crazy expensive and for what "WE" would do the shelf life sucks. I enjoy working on my old helmets in my own time do see what I can do. Sometimes its sick other times not so much.

I am still learning but I have the basics. I will never make a living in painting helmets but enjoy doing it for friends. The only thing that kills me is that it so time consuming it really not worth it. But I would do alot to help out friends or someone in the moto community.

Ya paint is crazy expensive and for what "WE" would do the shelf life sucks. I enjoy working on my old helmets in my own time do see what I can do. Sometimes its sick other times not so much.

I am still learning but I have the basics. I will never make a living in painting helmets but enjoy doing it for friends. The only thing that kills me is that it so time consuming it really not worth it. But I would do alot to help out friends or someone in the moto community.

Exactly- super time consuming is right. You really do have to have an "assembly line" if you hope to make any money on it. Ofcourse most of us do it for reasons other than making money. Anyway, thanks for the advice- I might have to give that duPont a try when I finally start spraying it up.

Thanks Roost. I knew there'd be a painter on here to give some good advice. I'm sure mottomat appreciates it, as do I.

I forgot all about the wetsanding and flashing.. thanks for catching that.

I haven't painted anything in about 7 or 8 yrs but I have this helmet up there calling my name now. I just might do it.

SO you like DuPont better-- Maybe I'll give that a try. One thing I always found frustrating (with painting helmets) is that it was hard to buy the quality stuff in small quanitities. Hobby stores sell paints in small quantities but it's usually not what we're looking for with helmets. Any thing you can suggest to save $ on that would be appreciated-

The One-Shot worked and looked good, but I know it's not a urethane so I do have concerns about compatability, even though it did work for me a few times with urethane clear. One-Shot is especially nice because it's cheap ($5 per can), comes in small quanities, and was easily reduced and worked well in the airbrush.

I have at least 5 friends that work at automotive paint stores and will sell me paint, clear ect by the ounce or whatever but it is still very expensive. I would go talk to you local auto body shops and make friends with them. They will sell you paint by the oz. And its quality stuff.

I like the way dupont lays out better than the ppg. But if I was making money I would use house of color.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me and I will help in whatever way I can. I am in no way a professional like the guys a TLD but I do know a thing or 2:ride:

thanks for all the advice cant wait to talk to the nieghbor tomarow.. i would figure he has a paint gun he paint his own cars all the time... and ya i forgot about wetsanding

thanks for all the advice cant wait to talk to the nieghbor tomarow.. i would figure he has a paint gun he paint his own cars all the time... and ya i forgot about wetsanding

Good luck bro. Any questions just let me know.