Antigravity Batteries Product Giveaways - LAST NIGHT TO ENTER! Read more... ×
Sign in to follow this  

2004 DRZ400s 230 Miles - sputtering/surging/bogging

Whatever you want to call it; it sucks.

I've been reading up on this problem for a week and haven't quite found the definitive answer.

I just bought the bike and it has the mid throttle dead spot many people have complained about. It still has the snorkle, the jetting/carb is unknown. The dealer (Bert's Bega Mall in Covina, CA) seems eager to make it right.

So here's my questions: what the hell's wrong with it? Should I just do the 3x3 and rejet, or should I let the dealer try to sort it out (and probably give up my new toy for a week).

I'm at about 700-800 MSL

Chris

if it has enough power now for you let the dealer fix it

if you want more out of it do the 3x3 and rejet

sounds to me its either pilot or needle jet, but for a quick try

see where your fuel mixture screw is at now set it from

2.5 to 2.75 turns out.

Whatever you want to call it; it sucks.

I've been reading up on this problem for a week and haven't quite found the definitive answer.

I just bought the bike and it has the mid throttle dead spot many people have complained about. It still has the snorkle, the jetting/carb is unknown. The dealer (Bert's Bega Mall in Covina, CA) seems eager to make it right.

So here's my questions: what the hell's wrong with it? Should I just do the 3x3 and rejet, or should I let the dealer try to sort it out (and probably give up my new toy for a week).

I'm at about 700-800 MSL

Chris

Hows the spark plug and what does the air cleaner look like???

if it is a 2004 with 230 miles on it, it has been sitting for a while with gas in it, more then likely and the carb needs cleaned. If you want to mod the carb this would be a great time to do it as you will have it torn apart anyway.

Buy the Jet kit, once it arrives, do the 3x3 airbox mod, while you have the carb out doing the jet kit, clean the jets really good and you should be good to go, might as well do it all at once as removing the carb can be a pain.

I have not checked the spark plug. If I was going to let the dealer take care of it I didn't want to fiddle with anything.

The air filter is clean, there's a pretty strong fuel smell when the airbox is opened. The last bike I owned was an 84 CR 80 so I don't remeber if its normal.

If I'm sure is the jetting/carb I'll just deal with it until I rejet or FCR it. I've seen lots of things blamed for this problem, from fuel contaminated oil to jetting/mixture I just want to be sure its that simple before I tear into it.

do an oil change.if you have a strong smell of fuel at the air filter its either because they cleaned it with gas or you might have fuel in the oil.when the oil gets hot the fuel evaperates and gets sucked into the airboot and causes a rich condition.heres a post to read.took a while to figure out it was fuel it the oilhttp://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719789

I read that post. How much fuel could be in there? Is it just from sitting around that this would happen? I'll try the oil change tomorrow.

What should I use to clean the air filter?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Chris

fuel gets in there because of a bad vac petcock and or a stuck float valve in the carb.if the bike has been sitting it could be the cause of the that problem(if that is the problem)

clean your filter with dish soap and warm/hot water(rinse well)

Well, I changed the oil and still surging. Maybe its less but its hard to tell.

Can the mixture be adjusted without taking the carb off. I don't have a shop manual yet, does anybody have a good labeled diagram?

if the carb is still stock then the mixture screw is plugged.chances are your going to have to take the carb off and clean it with carb cleaner and comressed air(dont get carb cleaner on the rubber parts)

did the oil smell like gas?

I took it to the dealer and they sorted it fo free. The main jet was partially clogged.

Now the bike is fun.

Chris