2004 DRZ400s 230 Miles - sputtering/surging/bogging

Whatever you want to call it; it sucks.

I've been reading up on this problem for a week and haven't quite found the definitive answer.

I just bought the bike and it has the mid throttle dead spot many people have complained about. It still has the snorkle, the jetting/carb is unknown. The dealer (Bert's Bega Mall in Covina, CA) seems eager to make it right.

So here's my questions: what the hell's wrong with it? Should I just do the 3x3 and rejet, or should I let the dealer try to sort it out (and probably give up my new toy for a week).

I'm at about 700-800 MSL

Chris

Whatever you want to call it; it sucks.

I've been reading up on this problem for a week and haven't quite found the definitive answer.

I just bought the bike and it has the mid throttle dead spot many people have complained about. It still has the snorkle, the jetting/carb is unknown. The dealer (Bert's Bega Mall in Covina, CA) seems eager to make it right.

So here's my questions: what the hell's wrong with it? Should I just do the 3x3 and rejet, or should I let the dealer try to sort it out (and probably give up my new toy for a week).

I'm at about 700-800 MSL

Chris

Hows the spark plug and what does the air cleaner look like???

I have not checked the spark plug. If I was going to let the dealer take care of it I didn't want to fiddle with anything.

The air filter is clean, there's a pretty strong fuel smell when the airbox is opened. The last bike I owned was an 84 CR 80 so I don't remeber if its normal.

If I'm sure is the jetting/carb I'll just deal with it until I rejet or FCR it. I've seen lots of things blamed for this problem, from fuel contaminated oil to jetting/mixture I just want to be sure its that simple before I tear into it.

do an oil change.if you have a strong smell of fuel at the air filter its either because they cleaned it with gas or you might have fuel in the oil.when the oil gets hot the fuel evaperates and gets sucked into the airboot and causes a rich condition.heres a post to read.took a while to figure out it was fuel it the oilhttps://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=719789

I read that post. How much fuel could be in there? Is it just from sitting around that this would happen? I'll try the oil change tomorrow.

What should I use to clean the air filter?

Thanks for your help everyone.

Chris

fuel gets in there because of a bad vac petcock and or a stuck float valve in the carb.if the bike has been sitting it could be the cause of the that problem(if that is the problem)

clean your filter with dish soap and warm/hot water(rinse well)