whats a good GPS

Best bang for the buck.......any suggestions?

Im a bit of a GPS dummy:banghead:

what are you looking to spend?

I like my garmin E trex venture HC

Color screen,base map included

Can download topo or highway maps .

Built in compass.Put in waypoints as you ride.

Like all of them... all you need is the software for maps.

$160.then another $100.for the mapquest program.

The best thing is the color screen.I know it sounds small but looking at other (black and white)GPSs' on the trail it is really hard to see all the details in a topo map.

Had enough memory to cover most of Idaho in topo map.

I really like my eTrex Vista Hsc unit. I picked it up for $300 with the topo software and 2GB memory card.

I choose one that used an SD card so I could cram a couple of states worth of topos AND navigation software. It's been a life saver. Well, not a life saver but it has certainly gotten me home when I thought I was going to have to spend the night in the forest after doing one of my roaming rides where I take trails whenever I see them.

The software is expensive but there are several package deals out there.

A buddy picked up an eTrex color for $100. It has very little memory but for a day/weekend ride, works. Still gotta buy the software though and it's typical software written by a hardware engineer and not a software architect. It's barely adequate and have very few features. It's like they wrote the software to work with the hardware but they must not use it themselves because it's missing so many features that would be easy to implement by a real programmer.

For instance, user profiles, being able to turn off/oon certian tracks, routes or waypoints. I wish there was a good software alternative but I've not found one yet.

I have a Magellan Meridian Color with an SD card. I have it loaded with topo maps and road maps for my region.

I also have a Garmin Nuvi.

The Magellan is great for back country stuff, and just OK for road travel. The turn-by-turn software is adequate, but does not auto-recalculate if you take a different route. This unit is also waterproof and very sturdy. I have dropped it with no ill effects.

The Garmin is far superior for on-road (in car) travel. Turn-by-turn directions are very good, provides multiple routes, and auto recalculates quickly. This unit is very small and light. It is not waterproof, and I don't really want to drop it for fear in may get damaged.

Bottom line: On the bike, or backpacking, Magellan. On the road, Garmin.

Thats good information. I was hoping to get something for around 300.clams with the topo maps.

Thanks

Buying used?...Get a Gamin 60CS. They are a great deal, you can get them on ebay for about $100 with the soft ware! Color unit, waterproof, bulletproof.

New? Get the Garmin 60CSX. Same great unit as the 60CS but it can take the SD cards to store more data. It's not a necessity but it is handy, keeps you from hooking up to the computer as much, You will pay for this feature though compared to buying a used 60cs.

There is a reason why you see so many ride reports ect with people using the 60cs series.

Hodakaguy

I have an eTrex Legend that is about five years old now and it's pretty good. I think it was ~$170 when I got it and it didn't come with Mapsource Topo, but prices have come down since then. I also have a Geko 201. It doesn't have mapping, but it runs forever on two AAAs, still hooks to the PC, and gets a satellite lock much faster than the eTrex. I use my Legend more like paper maps in that I stop to look at it and plan the next leg rather than flying by the seat of my pants. The Geko is my "small, light and fast" unit more for recording waypoints and tracks.

I'm leaning towards a 60csx.

I did like a Lowrance with a really big screen(needed) but it was too exxy.

There have also been good reports(and prices) on the Tomtom GPS units. I just saw a commercial for one of their color car models for $100.

So this is what I ended up getting.......please tell me I didn't get screwed:bonk:

# eTrex Legend Cx

# MapSource US Topo CD's

# 64 MB MicroSD card for MapSource Database

# Basemap: Americas: Americas Recreational

# Carrying Case

# Lanyard

# USB cable

# 12 Volt Adapter Cable

# Owner's manual

# Quick reference guide

Buying used?...Get a Gamin 60CS. They are a great deal, you can get them on ebay for about $100 with the soft ware! Color unit, waterproof, bulletproof.

New? Get the Garmin 60CSX. Same great unit as the 60CS but it can take the SD cards to store more data. It's not a necessity but it is handy, keeps you from hooking up to the computer as much, You will pay for this feature though compared to buying a used 60cs.

There is a reason why you see so many ride reports ect with people using the 60cs series.

Hodakaguy

...Ditto to what Hodakaguy said. Im using Garmin 60cs, bought used on Epay. I didnt know chit about GPS before I bought this one, but am glad I did. I figured I'd buy cheap, learn how to use it, thus learning what features I NEED. For now, 60cs is all I need. Good Luck!