First thing(s) to do on your new Pitbike or Engine

Here is my first input

lets see who has more info to add

#1 Put good oil in the engine and dont even start it with the "shipping" oil

some recomend GN4 or motul 5100

if you have a big bike that oil is ok too

#2 Adjust the valve last to .003'' in and .005" exh (some say .004")

just so there NOT to tight from the factory and get bent

im going to modify/edit this first post to include good suggestions

and we may use the info elsewere to help others

so

dont post if you dont want your info to be used

Heres a few more.......

#1 All bearings need to be cleaned and repacked with good quality grease(steering head,swingarm)

#2 Locktite EVERY bolt and i mean every bolt on the bike with either RED or BLUE locktite...we replaced all bolts with quality stainless bolts then locktiting them,but u can get by just locktiting all bolts though

#3 Antiseize chain adjuster bolts were they thread into the swingarm so they dont seize in the swingarm

What about swappin the Plug? Not sure what type the China bikes come with..

The bikes I have seen all came with NGK plugs. I wouldnt use anything else.

Grease your bearings

Check that all wires are tight (in my case, they werent when i first got it)

Good thread guys, keep it coming.

my stock plug left me stranded 2 days ago, was a JBC, swapped for NGK.

-check chain tension, mine was way too tight.

-swap brake fluid with DOT4 (much better performance, less chance of lock-up)

-check for loose spokes

-tire pressure

-some like to change fork fluid to 20wt or 30wt. DO NOT use motor oil

New grips/glue, mine were spinning on the bars when i got it

quickly think about tires/tubes, stockers were soft/ wear out fast, also thin if thorns in your area.

One thing that I see alot is people will leave the forks where they are, slide them down in the clamps, they are only set that way for shipping. also check the clickers, the factory will sometimes have them set all the way one way or all the way another (except the new LXRs which will come very close to a good setting) , So many riders will just run them right out of the crate.

One thing that I see alot is people will leave the forks where they are, slide them down in the clamps, they are only set that way for shipping. also check the clickers, the factory will sometimes have them set all the way one way or all the way another (except the new LXRs which will come very close to a good setting) , So many riders will just run them right out of the crate.

Yep, the forks are too high in the triples when shipped and need to be lowered (which raises the front end). I thought I had a shock problem, but it was the rebound set to the slowest position, which pretty much locked the shock down.

So, what is a good fork and shock adjustment starting point? in the middle?

every pitbike and or chinese bike/quad ive pdi'ed ive had to drop the clip on the needle(carb).i swear the chinese think we live in the hymilayas

Heres a cpl more.....

#1 Pull clutch cover off and make sure the clutch hub nut is tight

#2 While your in there tighten the oil slinger nut to.....u have to have a special wrench to do both of them

#3 Clean your brake discs with contact cleaner before u ride it and flush out the brake fluid and replace with some dot 4 fluid....the brakes will work much better

......u might even want to go with one of these hd steel slingers as quite a few of the stock aluminum slingers that come in these yx motors have broken or come apart.....better safe than sorry and now u can buy them already shaved down :busted:

Slinger......

tboltusa.com

Clutch Tool.....

tboltusa.com

thanks for all the input !

check flywheel nut. (mine came off today while riding, bike stalled, could not restart. stranded again. bike has been ridden about 10 times)

after about 10 rides my flywheel nut came off, and left me stranded...again.

This should be checked too!

after about 10 rides my flywheel nut came off, and left me stranded...again.

This should be checked too!

wow , good to know

Good information. Can people post images of some of the things your talking about. I am new to pit bikes, and I dont know where the flywheel nut is. I am unpacking my bike now and I am looking at tightening the all the bolts with locktite and changing the oil. Any other suggestions?

Shuluke