Best Helmet Cam?

Looking to get a nice helmet cam but there are so many different ones on the market. What would be the best helmet cam to get that would have good quality video? I have found the most informed people in this forum so I thought id post here. :busted:

I see this one at a few of the shops but im not sure how good the quality of the video would be.

bff21nf1.jpg

i bought that... it is less than the 20twenty cam is can go 100ft underwater, will do 2 second burst shooting and 5 second burst shooting at 5MP and tv res video which looks great on a 40 inch tv might i add considering it is shooting 640 ish

Looking to get a nice helmet cam but there are so many different ones on the market. What would be the best helmet cam to get that would have good quality video? I have found the most informed people in this forum so I thought id post here. :busted:

I see this one at a few of the shops but im not sure how good the quality of the video would be.

bff21nf1.jpg

I bought the same camera ("Helmet Hero" version) and it works as advertised. They just came out with a new wide-angle version that looks like it might be good. The resolution is good for TV viewing or YouTube stuff, but it's definately not high res. For the money though, I think it's worth it.:moon:

Hey man,

I got my old XR600R running yesterday! I took it for about a 20 minute ride. Doing any riding during the holiday?

Heey that's awesome! How does the 600R feel compared to your L? We are going out tomorrow or sunday. Tomorrow it will be 48 with possible light rain on and off and sunday it will be 62 with rain. My friend just got his XR250 back from a super build up and big bore. We are going up to the Forrest to hit the fireroads and the trails. It's short notice but anyone can come! :busted:

Looks like I am going to buy the Hero today and get some footage of the ride this weekend!

I thought i should add some info here.

First off if you want high quality video you can not use one of those remote lenses. Most every remote lens i have seen uses a USB cable to attache to the camera body and simply put USB can not handle full size video. Now im sure many people think this would be crazy but you need to mount the entire camera to your helmet. There are a few way to do this but i would suggest looking at the skydiving community and how they mount cameras. There is actually a semi-large market out there that sells helmets designed for mounting cameras with enclosures to protect the camera. Check out www.Boneheadcomposites.com and www.Cookiecomposites.com These helmets were designs for the skydiver in mind so tend to be fairly lightweight. I think the best option would be to by a mount from Cookie composites that allows you to mount a camera to you moto helmet. I have used my skydiving helmet with camera on the Slickrock trail in Moab and filmed the entire thing in HD. Came out pretty cool i think. The point is if you use a remote lens with a new camera would be the equivalent of REcorking you bike.

Gopro is worth a look, and if you're in the industry they will let you EP em...

Here's the link

Gopro is worth a look, and if you're in the industry they will let you EP em...

Here's the link

Yea, the Hero is the GoPro :busted:

hahaha didn't even take time to look! It's good stuff, used it on some rides with the SM fellas in santa cruz. Need a bigger card tho...

i have the wide angle version 170 deg the cam is all inclusive no pack on the back or any of that bs its not hidef but its nice enough for the girls i go out with

The newer high res small video cam's work real weel right on the helmet. Don't need a pack, just a bullistic nylon holder that velcro's onto your helmet. Ya, you cna see the visor in the video but, it makes it more real and at DVD quality or better, no moving parts, they use SD cards so no jidders durring hard hits you can't get better. I have a protection lens on the front of mine. I need to get a wide angle lens for it. I have to ride at the back tire of the rider in front of me and it needs more depth preception. You can see the front fender come up when you wheelie in the video better then cams that are on the top of the helmet

This has been made to be from 1040res to low 320res for internet use but it gets the idea across.

http://borynack.com/XR650R/Video/JayFast.wmv

I just picked up the Go Pro Hero Wide Lens for $150 out the door at the local dealer. They wanted over 200 but gave me a discount because I showed them where you can now buy them online.

The high resolution and large file sizes aren't a problem if you have software to compress it. I know not everyone does, but there are open source(free) options out there. I have a 4.5gb video I shot in miniDV and was able to knock it down to less than 14mb. I forgot which program I used, but it might have been Adobe Premiere Pro.

The high resolution and large file sizes aren't a problem if you have software to compress it.

I was going to say that but I did not want to disagree and cause an uproar. :busted: When you post it on youtube it will automatically encode it for streaming. It can even stream in HD.

Yeah, but I still wouldn't want to upload a 4.5gb file through a basic (160Kbit up speed) connection like mine. :busted: It might take the compression 20min per gig of video, but that is a lot less than 6 hours to upload it uncompressed.

Just wanted to report on the first impressions of the camera. Video looks very good for such a small seemingly cheap camera and even though the lens is small it does decent in low light. Camera is very light and you will forget your wearing it. Audio is not to hot.:p I was very disappointed that the audio captures the clicking noise from the video capture much like some of the digital still cameras do when trying to take video. :moon: If you mount it on top of your helmet right in back of the visor like the pictures suggest you should then you will have partial blockage from the visor and it will show in the video. You can also mount it to one side of your helmet as I may do instead of the top or remove the dirtbike style visor. The setup menus are confusing using short abbreviations like "F" for film mode or "HLF" for hold last function. It is near impossible to set the best camera angle because there is no screen or anything to see what it will look like when it records until you already record it and play it back on your pc or tv.

The short version, the camera is a good bang for the buck with good quality video. The audio is poor but at least it has audio. The record time is alright (a little over 1/2 hour) but there is no way to know if it ran out of memory or ran the batteries dead until you take it off to check. It does have a record light that is awesome but you can't see the light when its on your head! To my knowledge there is no way to know how much record time you have used or how much time you have left! :busted: It cannot use anything bigger then a 2GB memory card giving you about 50 minutes IF the battery will make it that long. It would be much nicer with a remote switch to flip it on and off from the handlebars. Without it you have to stop and turn the camera on then you have to wait and hit the record button, you can't really do this while riding. It's a decent setup but could be better.

Here is GREAT video explaining how to use it! I think the guy in the video works for the company.

Sounds like about what I would expect for $150. The fancier cameras that i have seen with LCD screens and separate recording packs start in the 300-350 range and go up from there.

I want that Sony HD POV camera.....:busted: I would consider paying 1000-1500 for something like that.