What is the diff between Stage 1, 2 and 3 Hotcams?

I recently purchased a 2002 XR400. It has the 426 kit installed, with Edelbrock pumper carb, stock Gordoned header pipe and Pro-Circuit muffler. It has the Stage 2 Hotcam in it as well. What is the diff between the stage 1,2, and 3 Hotcams? I have yet to really get a chance to seriously ride the bike beyond what I did while purchasing it. What will this Stage 2 cam do for the bike? It does seem to rev higher than my other stock XR400. It even wheelied in 3rd with a throttle blip at speed. Thanks in advance!:busted:

Stage one cams typically are just a little bit "more than stock" in lift and duration for just a bit more performance. Usually they have the same power characteristics, just "more meat" everywhere.

Stage two cams typically take the stock valve train to the limit in terms of lift and duration, and are usually a more midrange oriented cam. There may be a slight loss in the bottom end, a real good midrange pull, with a good pull through the top end.

Stage three cams are the most "racy." The large lift and duration numbers require beefed up valve springs for longevity. On some bikes modifications to the valve guides may also be required due to the increased lift. These cams typically sacrifice bottom end (due to poor intake efficiency at low rpm) for good midrange and great top end pull. Stage three cams also work better with big bore kits (such as the 440) than they do with stock displacement motors.

• Like 2

Stage one cams typically are just a little bit "more than stock" in lift and duration for just a bit more performance. Usually they have the same power characteristics, just "more meat" everywhere.

Stage two cams typically take the stock valve train to the limit in terms of lift and duration, and are usually a more midrange oriented cam. There may be a slight loss in the bottom end, a real good midrange pull, with a good pull through the top end.

Stage three cams are the most "racy." The large lift and duration numbers require beefed up valve springs for longevity. On some bikes modifications to the valve guides may also be required due to the increased lift. These cams typically sacrifice bottom end (due to poor intake efficiency at low rpm) for good midrange and great top end pull. Stage three cams also work better with big bore kits (such as the 440) than they do with stock displacement motors.

Thank you for the helpful information! Since I have the Stage 2 cam, and I'm pushing the stock valve train to its limits as you say, do I have to worry about reliability and longevity if I keep it stock?:busted::moon:

Thank you for the helpful information! Since I have the Stage 2 cam, and I'm pushing the stock valve train to its limits as you say, do I have to worry about reliability and longevity if I keep it stock?:busted::moon:

I would say yes but also I think if you were really pushing her hard, I would at least put in new or heavy duty valve springs. According to Hotcams website, you can use your stock rockers, valves and springs with the stage three as well. I wouldn't worry too much about it. I would worry more about the stage three with the extra lift wearing out the springs more.

I am running a stage 3 Hot Cam in my 2001 XR 440R with a stock valve train. It is my opinion that the weak link with this set up is the stock XR 400R cam chain. I am currently running a CRF 450 cam chain, no problems so far, lots of power through all ranges. I also have the Mikuni pumper carb, XR Only's exhaust and a Big Gun rev box installed on this bike. My CRF 450R puts out a few more ponies, but for desert riding, the XR 440R is an awesome bike! :busted: