I keep hitting the rev limiter, need suggestions

Ever since I installed my FCR MX & MRD/SSW pipe, I keep hitting the rev limiter. The thing is I NEVER hit the limiter before. All the offroad riding & road running, I never hit the limiter.

Now when I'm taking off WOT, I hit it usually in 3rd. 17" wheels,15/43 gearing. Is there a cheap tach that I can use as a reference. I don't need one all the time, but it would be nice to know that I don't have some other problem. I haven't changed the way I ride, just changed the carb & pipe.:busted:

Thanks, & Happy New Year!

Well ,you could drop 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, or if it's room go for a 16 front.

This will raise your speed in all gears ,and maybe it won't be nessesary to rev so high..

Well ,you could drop 2 teeth on the rear sprocket, or if it's room go for a 16 front.

This will raise your speed in all gears ,and maybe it won't be nessesary to rev so high..

That is a solution I hadn't thought about. I do have a 16, but I never liked the acc. loss. Also, I would have to shorten my chain to use a smaller rear (112 links). Then I wouldn't be able to run 15/47 with my dirt wheels. I guess I could use 2 master links.

I guess for now I will give the 16 a try.

Any other suggestions?

I would either go up 2 in the rear or a 16 front.

The only other thing that I could think of is getting a rev box which raises the rev limiter. But if you're already bouncing off of the rev limiter, a rev box may not be the best choice as you would be putting the valve train at risk.

Unless you are already at an exteme pf adjustment, going to a 16T CS is not a problem. You will find with the added power you now have to be great on the street.

Gearing...I use 2 chains...a 110 link for SM and a 112 link for DS.

Dont use two masterlinks, IMHO, too risky. What does everyone think? Disagree? And shift...

Ever since I installed my FCR MX & MRD/SSW pipe, I keep hitting the rev limiter. The thing is I NEVER hit the limiter before. All the offroad riding & road running, I never hit the limiter.

Now when I'm taking off WOT, I hit it usually in 3rd. 17" wheels,15/43 gearing. Is there a cheap tach that I can use as a reference. I don't need one all the time, but it would be nice to know that I don't have some other problem. I haven't changed the way I ride, just changed the carb & pipe.:busted:

Thanks, & Happy New Year!

Uh.................shift?:moon:

Shift a little sooner. If you really want to go the tach route, just install a Vapor. Better speedo, water temp, tach, etc. for about $100.

s-h-i-f-t :busted:

Dont use two masterlinks, IMHO, too risky. What does everyone think? Disagree? And shift...

If the links are properly installed what is the risk?

If the links are properly installed what is the risk?

Weak point...now doubled.

Have you ever had a properly installed master fail? I haven't. I have seen plenty of chains running with mangled or poorly installed clips and they fail often, but seldom if ever if they are installed properly. Just my opinion.

I've had to repair the chain in the bush and promised myself that I'd change the chain as soon as I got home. But when a few hours riding back to the truck didn't suddenly make the "weak" chain fail, it kinda slipped my mind.

For the rest of the season.

I carry a chain breaker, a couple master links, and a length of chain about ten links long. I've had to use bits of this kit to repair rock-bites on occasion.

As GOF1 says, the trick is to properly install the link. I use the chain breaker to fully seat the link before the lockplate goes on - this seems to be essential when using o-ring chains.

i've only ever used c-clamps for installing master links and never had one fail. i would go w/daisy'ing them together. risk of breakage is pretty small.

- 2 master links is twice the risk of 1. But the risk is very small. I also have never had a master fail.

- SHIFT

- You can calculate engine RPM from road speed for reference with a little bit of math.

Obviously I do "shift", but now I'm shifting alot sooner. I went ahead & installed the 16. Hopefully I'll like it this time. If not I'll get a 41 & cut my chain.

I too have done the the equivelent mods on my bike the motor is now no longer strangeld or constipated it now revs much more freely optmum shift point is 7kto8k afterthat point shift all this entales is getting to know your bike = milage if yuo really need a tach west marine has a small engine model for under $ 50.00

This bike is not a two stroke, remember that the meat of the powerband is not on top. If I remember correctly it peaks off around 7k rpm so while you can go past, it's kinda useless. Just something to keep in mind, happy riding.:busted:

Once you increase the bore and stroke your problem will be solved.