Lot's of views, no responses....

Not sure about the 640 KTM but my friend has a new KTM 535 and I can pull away from him hard in the straights and he is a good rider. He also said my bike feels lighter then his steel frame KTM and the suspension was softer, not as ruff over rocks and such. The KTM's look really cool though (orange is my favorite color) and both the seat and the sides of the bike are slimer then the R.

Did you know that they sell magic buttons for the R? They go for about $700 bucks if my memory serves me correctly.

The (535?)525 is a over stroked 450.95x72 to 95x63 Way different than the 640 motor.101x78

I almost bought a 640 back in 01.I faintly remember test riding the 640 and the 400 KTM dual sport when i was going to buy a DR-Z 400(and did)

What i remember the 640 was slow and heavy feeling.But... that was a while ago.

I also test rode a 650R in a parking lot. And thought it was way too fast for tight trails. HA! I laugh now thinking where iv'e had my 650 these past three years.

Edit:had to Look up some specs

What kind of riding do you and you and your buddies do? Regardless of the discipline, it really depends on the rider i'd say. We've all been smoked by superior riders on equal or inferior machines.

How many times did honda win Baja? Ktm? :busted:

Unless you're rich and careless, the honda will more likely save you in long run.

-Except the appetite for rear tires and a devilish ability to make you lavish her in gifts... The old lady sure don't like that much

I heard that the 640 motor shakes likes a full washer on the spinning cycle with an unbalanced load. :busted:

PC, ff your buddy thinks that his new KTM 530 (there is no 535, or did you mean last years 525, but since they are all 510cc who really cares) feels lighter than a 650R he is smoking something. There is no comparison with a bike that even with a steel frame is over 35lbs lighter out of the box. If it really does feel heavier to him, he has the suspension really jacked or just has a really goofy riding style. I've spent time on both, and the 530 is a better handling machine than the 650. Now if you are referring to the older chassis 520 or 525, then depending on model that could be a possiblity. The wide tanked 510cc MXCs never felt as good as my 650 does to me. But I do have USD forks which is a night and day improvement for the 650.

Now compared to an older LC4 640, the XR will definitely feel lighter and is much better suspended out of the box (but remember that the 640 is a linkage bike, and does have potential).

The 640 motor is a very proven design. It hasn't won in Dakar many many times for no reason. In stock form it is as much of a claw hammer as an XR motor, although it does tend to vibrate a little more IMO. This motor also has as much capability to be tuned to 'monster' status as the 650R motor, although those tuners are not for the most part in the States. That motor can push factory prepped 400lb rally bikes to speeds well in excess of 110mph, so it is no slouch if properly tuned.

KTM did try to directly compete with the XR650R with the 625SXC a few years ago. It was a version of the venerable LC4 motor with the aforementioned convential linkage. The bike actually only weighed a few pounds more than the 650R, and it did have e-start. Mag tests of the SXC compared it favorably to the 650R, but as we all know, with a few simple changes, the XR is leaps and bounds improved. Those same options for the more expensive KTM were not readily available, and thus the bike had a short lifespan in this country.

Currently the cheapest e-start conversion kits for the 650R are well over $1000 at the minimum. Joe Racer is currently the only source for them. Baja Designs does not offer their e-start kit any more (as far as I know). I have installed two BD kits on other 650Rs. After seeing and riding with those wide, ackward, and heavy setups, I'll happily kick all day long.

I heard that the 640 motor shakes likes a full washer on the spinning cycle with an unbalanced load. :moon:

Okay guys let's not get too carried away :busted:

Yea, I meant 525.

I am not sure why everyone has such a problem with kicking them. My R kicks easier then the Honda 250 I had! And if that's not enough it even starts on the fist kick everytime also unlike the 250 I had! I hear the YZ450 is the same way, the automatic compression release makes for cake if your using the drill.

Yeah, I figured you probably meant 525! I can see his reasoning for liking the XR better, especially depending on his riding style. I have some friends that all have the older chassis 520s that think my 650 handled as well as their bikes or better. But now they have new 450XCW-Rs so that is thrown out the window. The new KTM chassis will run circles around our beloved pigs.

And yes, the LC4 can shake but it isn't that bad. Does it shake more than a XR? Yep. Does it shake like a 500cc two stroke? Not even close.

PC, ff your buddy thinks that his new KTM 530 (there is no 535, or did you mean last years 525, but since they are all 510cc who really cares) feels lighter than a 650R he is smoking something.

Now compared to an older LC4 640, the XR will definitely feel lighter and is much better suspended out of the box (but remember that the 640 is a linkage bike, and does have potential).

The 640 motor is a very proven design. It hasn't won in Dakar many many times for no reason. In stock form it is as much of a claw hammer as an XR motor, although it does tend to vibrate a little more IMO. This motor also has as much capability to be tuned to 'monster' status as the 650R motor, although those tuners are not for the most part in the States. That motor can push factory prepped 400lb rally bikes to speeds well in excess of 110mph, so it is no slouch if properly tuned.

I agree but, the 640 I rode did vibrate a lot, way lot more then the XR close to a CR500 but, with a different frequency.

I agree but, the 640 I rode did vibrate a lot, way lot more then the XR close to a CR500 but, with a different frequency.

The ones I have rode weren't too bad, but that could have been because they were both in Rally bikes. The extra weight and the big 7 gallon tanks could have been "stifling" the vibes somewhat.

I think the XR650R has a better moto for sure

I let the LC4 go................keeping the XRR for now.....:moon:

I appreciate the responses here.........still none for the 640 crowd. I think the KTM's come a bit more prepared for the street than the XR but I've got good mods and farkles on my XR.

It's not the bear to start that many have complained about although it can be a 10-15 minute ordeal when cold and sitting for a week or two. Valves are adjusted, uncorked and restrictions removed. It's jetted properly for the 4K to 8K altitude here. I haven't replaced the stock carb with a pumper........maybe that's the most cost effective solution?

The e-start kits are not cost effective IMHO and I don't like what they do to the bikes symmetry and balance. Looks like I'll have to lube the right knee with ibuprofen for another season, hopefully Honda pulls together an XR700 to replace the aged XRL platform....then I'll..........:busted:

It's not the bear to start that many have complained about although it can be a 10-15 minute ordeal when cold and sitting for a week or two. Valves are adjusted, uncorked and restrictions removed. It's jetted properly for the 4K to 8K altitude here. I haven't replaced the stock carb with a pumper........maybe that's the most cost effective solution?

The most cost effective solution is to keep playing with the carb. I have my 600 jetted a little fat on the low end and it usually starts in less than five kicks. That's in the cold after sitting for weeks and using no choke.

The most performance-oriented solution is to indeed get a pumper.

I asked the KTM crowd about advantages/disadvantages of an '01 640 Enduro vs my '02 XR650R.......

What about the XR crowd.........?

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=726696

I've ridden an XR 650 Just one time, but I could see that the manual decompressor is a pain. Stock, the bike seemed more like a high speed monster, and not the torque beast I thought it would be.

The forks also seemed really soft and unstable/non-confidence inspiring in the mud and faster sections. Even with my 140 pounds on it.

On the plus side, the XR had a really stable feel except for the front in slick areas and when absorbing impacts.

And the the stock powerband being smooth, it was easy to manage yet still get up to speed.

It's not a tight woods bike however, but it'll do the job with the right rider. I think the XR should be used really for what it was meant. Dual Sporting and Baja for it's high stability.

:busted:

But it's worth the money to many :moon: