reversing the 250 2st amateur rule?

Ive been hearing the rumor that they are reversing the rule allowing 250 2st's to race with 250 4st's.

Ive also heard that some promoters at ama qualifiers denying to allow 250 2st's ???

They have been saying its an unfair advantage so they are reversing the rule.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Ive been hearing the rumor that they are reversing the rule allowing 250 2st's to race with 250 4st's.

Ive also heard that some promoters at ama qualifiers denying to allow 250 2st's ???

The NPG is having discussions about allowing the 250T into the 250F class for the Pro Nationals in 2009. I find it hard to believe that the amateur rule will be overturned.

The NPG is having discussions about allowing the 250T into the 250F class for the Pro Nationals in 2009. I find it hard to believe that the amateur rule will be overturned.

they do that and your gonna have the 450 stroke class and the 250 2 stroke class... no more lites. though, it will bring back the 250's.

I checked the 2009 Loretta Lynn's rule book. Here's the answer.

QUESTION: Can I ride my 250cc 2 stroke in the 250cc (Lites) class this year?

ANSWER: Yes, the 250cc (Lites) class (A, B or C) allows machines from 122cc - 250cc regardless of 2-stroke or 4-stroke.

unless we get a few very fast riders on the 250 2t's i don't see the lites class getting over run with two strokes, a lot of racers these ay's have no idea how to ride a two stroke properly.

We can only hope the 2 stroke will come back. Racing Joe average can enjoy/afford. I am old school. We should have a 125 class, 250 class & open class. 2 vs 4 stroke would not matter. Bring it on AMA we can handle it. In the 80's Johnny O' smoked the whole world on a 125. Remeber it's all about the rider.

they do that and your gonna have the 450 stroke class and the 250 2 stroke class... no more lites. though, it will bring back the 250's.

Not exactly...

A factory or semi factory built 250F makes almost as much power and more torque than a 250 two stroke. With the unobtainium on the factory bikes, the weights between the two will be equal. So the big guns will still ride the four stroke as they can afford it (and that is what the manufacturer sells) and the longer powerband will still probably make for better lap times.

But at least a true privateer can show up with a 250 two stroke that can be raced for a much lower budget and have a chance to compete with the Pro-Circuits and Factory Connections of the MX2 world. Of course, how many actually will take advantage of this rule remains to be seen. If a factory offers no contingency plan for their two strokes (if they still make them) or the two stroke is too old to qualify (most contingency plans only allow for a bike that is one model year removed from current) a privateer may still choose the thumper to get some of that contingency cash.

I doubt that seeing that 3 of the major manufacturers don't sell a 250 two stroke in the US anymore.

I haven't noticed where the 250 two strokes are beating the 250F's all that often. When they do it is always with a rider that was winning on a 250F also.

I doubt that seeing that 3 of the major manufacturers don't sell a 250 two stroke in the US anymore.

I haven't noticed where the 250 two strokes are beating the 250F's all that often. When they do it is always with a rider that was winning on a 250F also.

how true kj...that is what im seeing here :busted: i love 2 strokes but im sure turning faster lap times by 2-4 seconds on my 250f than my 250t and i was raised on 2 strokes:banghead:

Not exactly...

A factory or semi factory built 250F makes almost as much power and more torque than a 250 two stroke. With the unobtainium on the factory bikes, the weights between the two will be equal. So the big guns will still ride the four stroke as they can afford it (and that is what the manufacturer sells) and the longer powerband will still probably make for better lap times.

But at least a true privateer can show up with a 250 two stroke that can be raced for a much lower budget and have a chance to compete with the Pro-Circuits and Factory Connections of the MX2 world. Of course, how many actually will take advantage of this rule remains to be seen. If a factory offers no contingency plan for their two strokes (if they still make them) or the two stroke is too old to qualify (most contingency plans only allow for a bike that is one model year removed from current) a privateer may still choose the thumper to get some of that contingency cash.

I agree that the factory and semi-factory built 250f's can get close to a stock 250 two stroke's hp(not torque though)but not a modded one. Also, think about how much r&d and money need to be put into a 250f to make that kind of power. It would be more profitable to race the two stroke.

I agree that the factory and semi-factory built 250f's can get close to a stock 250 two stroke's hp(not torque though)but not a modded one. Also, think about how much r&d and money need to be put into a 250f to make that kind of power. It would be more profitable to race the two stroke.

I agree and they already at one point put R&D into the 2 strokes, so it wouldnt be that hard for them to be able to gain a ton of HP on the 250f's. Personally i would love to see the 250 smokers winning races. I got a 4 stroke bc I got my bike before they changed the rule. If I knew about the rule I would have defienetly gotten like a ktm250 or a yz250. but ya the 250 smokers are definetly like the ideal bike for supercross. but hopefully they start with outdoors and then move them to supercross to.

Maybe you have heard that the pro class is reversing the 250 $T only rule. They are discussing allowing 2T and $T to race together in pro class. There are several threads here on TT about how to email Davey Coombs to put in your vote now.

I think it should be two stroke only indoor 125, 250. Outdoors 250 2 or 4 stroke and open 250CC to 500CC 2 or 4 stroke. I know it won't happen but it would be sick to see.

Not exactly...

Even with forced induction there is no way youre going to get more torque out of a 250F than a 250 2T. The most you could hnoestly pull out of those little motors is maybe 24 ft lbs. 250 2Ts come stock with a little over 30.

I think Ron Hamp(RHC)has built 250F's with about 43-44hp but those are full blown race engines with extensive mods. I believe a newer stock YZ250 puts about 46hp. You gotta figure a modded YZ250 could increase the hp gap even more. Its a no brainer what I would be racing.

It all depends on WHAT THE MAUFACTURES WANT!! THEY DO NOT MAKE 2 SMOKES FOR A REASON. It is easy to goet 4 strokes now, harder to get 2 stokes. I think that it is agood rule have the 250t in the 250f class, but if honda wants trey canard to run a 250f he is gonna ride a 250f. plain and simple. I just think it would be cool to get a 250t and smoke the local 250f lites class. UNLESS THE MANUFACTURES WANT IT, this rule will not take off in the pros!!

What happened to the Lites class actually being light on power. If I were a kid racer getting to big for 80s I'd be a little freaked that the next class up is racing 40hp bikes. They need to limit the crazy engine mods on 4Ts and encourage 144 two strokes in the class. Remember when the step above 80s was 125s? Kids aren't any bigger or stronger now than they were 10 years ago. When I was 14 (1995) the 250Ts seemed crazy powerfull and it made sense that I should be on a 125.

Not exactly...

your right and wrong..A 4T 250f will almost never make the same torque a 2t 250 will..also a 250f has to be highly modified to make similar horsepower as a 250T and that same amount of modifications would put a 250T in 450 territory or better...also the weights of 4Ts have definitely come down but the 2Ts havent...why is this you ask? because the 2Ts are already close to the weight limit set by the ama for racing...(196# for 125, 216# for 250)if the ama changed the weight limit for the 2Ts they would be kicking 4T ass all day...ultimately its about money and manufactures make more money off 4Ts than 2Ts..and thats what its about...Also dont expect to see any factory riders riding 2Ts cause what wins on sunday sells on monday and the manufactures arent gonna allow their rider to ride a bike they dont make much money off of (or make at all for that matter) basically Honda owns the ama and will make them do what will benefit them the most...

I just think it would be cool to get a 250t and smoke the local 250f lites class.

If you can't win 250f vs. 250f then a 250t will just make you slower. Horsepower is not your friend unless it is smooth and predictable. I love two strokes and spent 20+ years on them but like most people, my lap times are faster on an easier to ride 450 than a hard hitting 250t.

unless we get a few very fast riders on the 250 2t's i don't see the lites class getting over run with two strokes, a lot of racers these ay's have no idea how to ride a two stroke properly.

Ha. This guy thinks he can ride a two stroke better than lites riders. GET REAL.