About time

My dad back in 1991 bought a ford F-150, 4.9L inline 6, standard cab, 4 speed stick, vinyl seats for $7000 and after 19 years and 289,000miles he is finally deciding to parts with it. Windows are broke and dont roll down, heater A/C does not work, seats are all broken, wipers dont work, radio does not work but I be dammed if the thing still does pass california smog :busted: The truck only broke down once due to a fuel pump going out and gone thrue two clutches and regular tune ups and thats it. I think he has got his moneys worth out of it. Being he does not need a big truck any more I found him a 2005 ford ranger, auto, air, 3.0l V6, extra cab for $10,500 with 20k miles on it and I told him happy retirement gift as it is 8 months early but his other truck was just haggered.

It's a Cali truck right? I'd fix the piddly stuff (that's what's broke is minor stuff) and people around here would go nuts over it. Most trucks in my area of that vintage have cab ventilation via the floors, rockers, door bottoms, cab corners, etc and they're really friendly.....the box "waves" at everyone as you drive down the road.

I hate salt, but I sure do like the roads without ice. Waddya do?

It's a Cali truck right? I'd fix the piddly stuff (that's what's broke is minor stuff) and people around here would go nuts over it. Most trucks in my area of that vintage have cab ventilation via the floors, rockers, door bottoms, cab corners, etc and they're really friendly.....the box "waves" at everyone as you drive down the road.

I hate salt, but I sure do like the roads without ice. Waddya do?

We thought about that but all that little stuff adds up quick. Forgot to say that the power steering box needs to be replaces, diff. is leaking, occationally the check engine light comes on and when it does it will barely run. Yes it is a Cali. truck and the body is in good shape. Just time to call it quiets and do the right thing for this truck and get it off the road

We thought about that but all that little stuff adds up quick. Forgot to say that the power steering box needs to be replaces, diff. is leaking, occationally the check engine light comes on and when it does it will barely run. Yes it is a Cali. truck and the body is in good shape. Just time to call it quiets and do the right thing for this truck and get it off the road

Around here, that would still be considered a good fixer-upper truck...body's solid, engine runs good.....guys would be on that like a pack of rabid starving dogs on a three legged declawed cat.

The 4.9L straight six is one of the best engines Ford ever made. We had a 1988 for a parts delivery / pickkup truck, had well over 350,000 miles, perfect oil pressure, ran great.

Americans like their V8 engines, but IMO the straight 6 is the best engine design there is.

The 4.9L straight six is one of the best engines Ford ever made. We had a 1988 for a parts delivery / pickkup truck, had well over 350,000 miles, perfect oil pressure, ran great.

Americans like their V8 engines, but IMO the straight 6 is the best engine design there is.

X2 on the inline 6, If they still had one I would have gotten it with my new truck.

I had an '88 F250 with the 4.9L. I sold it with about 200k on the clock, it ran just as strong as when it was new.