Tips on Chevy Express Vans

Looking to pick up a used Express ext Van to convert for moto, either cargo or 15 passenger. Any express owners out there have any concerns with these vans?

The swing open side doors have poorly designed hinge attachment. The factory shocks are a joke. Drivers side could use more legroom. That's about it.

Forget the models with the rear A/C.Makes it very hard to fit a bike in.

Thanks for the tips..

Iseann, that 06 is sweet, looks std length only problem. I find with the cargos, it's hard to find basic options like tilt/cruise, pw etc. Most are bare bones equipped. The passenger versions would have all the creature comforts, but then I'd have to deal with the windows.

Thanks for the tips..

Iseann, that 06 is sweet, looks std length only problem. I find with the cargos, it's hard to find basic options like tilt/cruise, pw etc. Most are bare bones equipped. The passenger versions would have all the creature comforts, but then I'd have to deal with the windows.

Creature comforts are nice, but I kinda like my stuff bare bones. It means less stuff to break. My van is basically no options other than the Power Stroke and my Cherokee has no cruise. I create enough stuff of my own to fix as I live by the motto; If it aint broke, keep fixin it til it is.:busted:

Looking to pick up a used Express ext Van to convert for moto, either cargo or 15 passenger. Any express owners out there have any concerns with these vans?

I second that the side doors are not great. On my 3/4 ton 99 express the brake fluid resevoir is right above the computer. Not a big deal unless someone lets the fluid leak all over the computer during a service and ruin the seals over time. This is what my mechanic said happened?? Replaced the fuel modulator,some sensors, and normal maintenance. I am on my second tranny and have around 230,000 miles. Purchased in 00 with 58,000 it was part of a fleet. Do not regret buying it even with the high mileage. I used it for flooring installations and travel for 4-5 years. The last 3-4 years has been fairly light duty hauling my bikes,travel,commuter, and helping with the occasional move.

Willy

I just sold a 2000 1-ton extended cargo 5.7L with 185,000 miles and bought a brand new 2008 3/4 ton extended cargo with the 4.8L. I was lucky and found that 2000 with cruise on it. My new one has power locks as well which is a huge convenience with that many doors. Based on my impressions in the first 3000 miles, I wouldn't recommend the 4.8L. Get the 6.0, the mileage isn't that great with the 4.8 and the 4.8 just doesn't have the torque. It's got good power if you rev it, but for towing and low rpm hiway speeds, it's a dog.

You can only get extended Chevy's in 3/4 and 1-ton. Really wish they had a 4wd extended. Can't justify a Quigley (yet).

I've been super happy with the Express vans (thus I just bought a brand new one). Drive and ride well. The weaknesses are the side door hinges as mentioned (there is a retrofit kit with a grease zerk for when they go bad). My 2000 had rust in the lower rockers in front of the rear wheels. My buddy also has a 2000 with rust down there. That steel is double layer stuff and the rust gets between the layers. You have to cut and replace, you can't grind and bondo to fix it.

The extended Chevys put the extra length between the axles rather than hang it out the back like Ford does. I like the Chevy approach better for trailer pulling, but it makes the wheelbase HUGE and the turning radius and maneuverability suffer. My van is my daily driver. Going to the mall on a busy day and having to park sucks.

My 2000 1\2 ton work van has been great no real problems with 156,000 miles on it.Other than it has wimpy brakes.

My 2006 GMC 1\2 ton had better suspension,better brakes and bigger wheels etc, but the tranny went out at 68K miles.3200 to fix.They went to a softer main shaft bushing and when it gets worn the whole tranny loses fluid presure.(very ugly)

Had it repaired and up graded with a better bushing,(like the 2000 year had)

I think this might of been a issue with the V-6 equipped vans only(?)

Also the dash went out at 48,000(or so) $350And the distributer gear that rides on the cam, wore out at 50,000 (it was brass) left me stranded 100 miles fom no where. total cost $600 or so..

As for the miles i'm just guessing but i do remember each event was"just out of waranty".

Will my Boss buy another Chevy? YA RIGHT!

My last work van was a 07 ford with a V-8.

You can only get extended Chevy's in 3/4 and 1-ton. Really wish they had a 4wd extended. Can't justify a Quigley (yet).

In 03 Chevy offered the AWD in the 3/4 ton Express. Not to easy to find one but here's one I just saw on Craigs.http://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/cto/968697221.html

The Craigslist van is a one year only 3/4 ton with the newer front end. It was a light duty, 6 lug wheel, 3/4 ton. 7200 GVW. In 04, they dicontinued that model and the 5 lug 1/2 ton and made the old 6lug 3/4 the current 1500 van or half ton. I have a 98 2500 with the 6 lug wheels.

Ive had mine since 98, it has 123,000 on it with only a few issues. I replaced the intake gasket at around 80,000 miles, it was leaking coolant and did the work myself. At 116,000 mile, I had to replace the trans after I sunk it going out to a riding spot. It didnt get into the interior or the engine, it sucked the water up through the trans vent tube. I have the slider door so there are no issues there. The seats are clapped out but I can get them as takeouts from conversion companys. The brakes are weak. Overall, its been a great van and I wouldnt hesitate to buy another. My daily driver co. truck is a 04 E350 ford van with a 6.0L diesel. It has been the most unreliable POS that I have ever driven. We just replaced the turbo at 100,000 miles, constant driveability problems, tire wear issues. It has broken down every week this december and towed from my house once. If I were to buy a Ford, which isnt likely, Ill get the gas engine!

This thread has helped me a ton already... Subscribed

Thanks everyone for the comments, good and bad. Learning more everyday on these vans. I'll hold out for the right model with the options I'm after.

The Craigslist van is a one year only 3/4 ton with the newer front end. It was a light duty, 6 lug wheel, 3/4 ton.

zz3gmc,Is the 2003 AWD 3/4 ton Express, a longer wheelbase model than the current 1/2 ton AWD Express?

The one in the picture is a standard wheel base van. AWD was never offered in anything but a standard wb van and only in a 1/2 ton, Im not too sure about that 03 light duty 3/4 ton in the add. It gets a little confusing. Ive seen some nice Quigley 4x4 extended GM vans on Ebay going for somewhat reasonable prices.

I'd like to find a 2500 3/4 extended cargo with air/tilt/cruise. I found out the 15 passenger extended's are only available as a 3500 1 ton.

Cloth seats over vinyl would be nice too..

I have a 3/4 ton 5.7 liter express van. Love it. Will fly down the road fully loaded with bikes, gear, coolers anything it doesn't matter. 80mph.. air blowin..with the cruise on. Gets pretty good mpg too. Keep the fuel tank over a 1/4 though they like fuel pumps. I have a full bed set up in the rear too with heater and the hole 9 yards. Get 1. Chad:ride:

yup, can't wait to find the right van..

stande - is your van extended, did you put up a wall?

No. regular length. I actually took the wall down. I like being able to step in back to get dressed on cold/rainy days. I have a twin size air mattress with built in pump. Its comfy. On cold nights I have a Big buddie heater I turn on with a auto turn off sensor for fumes. I have put 2 full size bikes with a ttr and a zuma in the back. then coolers gear gas cans food beer ez ups ramps grills u name it The thing has got room. Did I say it hauls ass? Nothing better than hitting the road with the ac blastin haulin ass to go ride. Id get some pictures but theres 2 feet of snow on it. Chad

I have a 2003 3500 6.0L 15 pass Chev with 130000 miles so far it's been good. Works good for hauling our bikes and 3 kids.

I did have a problem with the gear selector light going from P to 3 and back and forth with out moving the lever. When it would stay on 3 it would not start. Changed the neutral safety switch and that was not the problem.

Found out some have had problems with the wiring harness by the drivers side A-arm. That was it! I found 6 wires that had bare stops and I had to splice them. So far so good! The harness makes a sharp bend and rubs on top of the A-arm, I wrapped mine up in tape along with two old inner tubes.

I also had a rear AC line rub on the frame and leak. Good thing I have a brother-in law thats a auto mechanic!

So if you have a 6.0 liter I would wrap the harness!