2009 KLX250S Fuel tank

Anybody know if the 07 clarke fuel tank will fit the 09?? Has anybody tried it?

Anyone hear any rumblings about a 2009 big tank?

I emailed Clark about a week ago with the question but no answer yet.

BTW, Just Tanks says no-go on the prior years big tanks for the '09.

Do a search on the other sites. There have been some people that were successful using both the IMS and the Acerbis tanks. Both have their inherent problems on the 09 klx, but were mounted none the less.

Choke access, side panel fitment, petcock access, seat/tank gaps, trapped unused fuel, radiator fan clearances/removal, radiator shroud replacement are a few things that were discussed when mounting the tanks.

There are pics out there that show it done w/ either tank. It all depends on how picky you are with aesthetics/looks. I'd like to go with the IMS but I don't think there are red radiator shrouds available...

I haven't read anything yet about the clarke tanks.

Edit: link here-http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?p=6383288&highlight=tank+klx250s#post6383288

I have a Clarke on my '06 KLX250 and love it. Installation was a snap, no issues. It has slightly less capacity than the IMS or the Acerbis but I've found it completely adequate for my needs in real life use.

tbh, I don't think any aftermarket tank was specifically designed for any 250S; it just so happens that some will fit the old 250S because it is more like the 300R than the new '09 250S is. even when an aftermarket tank is fit to an old 250S it does not look right as there are gaps between the seat and the radiator shrouds do not line up correctly and people have to stick on green tape so as to fill the gap to fool the eye. unless you have 300R bodywork it won't line up perfectly. I've also read where the 250S wiring harness is in the way as well on some installs. also, people have trouble getting all the fuel out of some tanks because the petcock is higher than the lowest part of the tank. so to answer your original question- will aftermarket tanks fit the '09- well, the frame's are identical, but the seat/tank/shrouds are very different so I doubt it will enable the tank designed for the old bike to mate up to the new '09's junction of these three items.

tbh, I don't think any aftermarket tank was specifically designed for any 250S; it just so happens that some will fit the old 250S because it is more like the 300R than the new '09 250S is. even when an aftermarket tank is fit to an old 250S it does not look right as there are gaps between the seat and the radiator shrouds do not line up correctly and people have to stick on green tape so as to fill the gap to fool the eye. unless you have 300R bodywork it won't line up perfectly. I've also read where the 250S wiring harness is in the way as well on some installs. also, people have trouble getting all the fuel out of some tanks because the petcock is higher than the lowest part of the tank. so to answer your original question- will aftermarket tanks fit the '09- well, the frame's are identical, but the seat/tank/shrouds are very different so I doubt it will enable the tank designed for the old bike to mate up to the new '09's junction of these three items.

Whether any of the tanks that fit the off road KLX250/300 or 06/07 250S will fit the 09 I don't know. The Clark tank was made specifically for the 06/07 KLX250S and it uses the S radiator shrouds. The IMS was originally designed for the off road KLX250 and works on the 300 and 250S with slight modification. You must use the 250 off road radiator shrouds as they are different than the 300 and 250S. The Acerbis will work on the off road 250/300 and the 06/07 250S with slight modification and has built in radiator shrouds. A stock 300 tank and shrouds may also be an option and provides about the same capacity as the Clark tank. I would search here http://kawasakiforums.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=71 and you may find an answer to what can be adopted to work on the 09 S.

I started a thread a while ago to try and get people to email Clarke and ask them to make one for the 09"s. I called Clarke,IMS,and Acerbis quite a while ago(I think Oct or Nov of 08) Acerbis and IMS said that they were not going to make one, at that time the guy at Clarke kind of reluctantly said that they might think about it. So far nothing and I'm getting the idea they aren't really interested. The good news is that Bake seems to be on it with an aluminium aux tank that mounts on the rear of the bike. He has a post today about it on this forum. Bakes tank fits the 06/07's but from what he posted some bracket fabrication may be required for the 09"s. The 09"s are the bikes that really need one because the fitment of IMS and Acerbis tanks really looks like s#*&. Especially if you have a red one.

I just realized that the post on the aux tank by Bake is on KLX Forum and not TT. Sorry sometimes I get confused.