Riding alone with the heavy Z400

Does anyone enjoy riding alone? I spend most of my time riding alone. I know it is not smart. However, I really enjoy the solitude. Yesterday I was the only one on the trails. I'm not pressured to keep up with better riders, or slowed down by worse riders. I can stop when I want and enjoy an incredible view, or just rest. I will admit that I am concience about being all by myself, so I am a little more conservative with my riding. (I have crashed bad once by myself. That was a little scary, hence the conservative riding.) I don't know, maybe because our society is being bombbarded with constant stimulation (TV, Computer, Video games, People) I feel like it is my only chance to have real reflection and peace. Again, I know it is not smart, but does anyone like riding alone?

I do. I know it is dangerous when on the trails alone. I try to ride as conservatively and as safe as possible. I do not "try" things when alone.

I ride alone most of the time as well. My old riding buddies have moved away and my wife is pregnant so it's pretty much me. I enjoy and also am a little conservative when alone b/c I don't want to get hurt and have no way of telling anyone. It is nice to be able to enjoy the world and be able to get away from life for a little while. Ride on and be safe..:busted:

I like riding at my own pace, where I want, when I want. :busted:

But I had a tipover once, at a hairpin turn, on a singletrack that hugged the side of a hill. The DRZ fell off the trail, upside down, about 4 feet off the trail onto a steep slope of loose gravel that had NO traction whatsoever.

It took me 25 minutes to wrestle that 300lb dead weight back onto the trail by myself. I was completely exhausted by the time I was back on the bike.

This was not a difficult trail. Had the bike fallen another 5 feet, or I had been even slightly injured, I would have been BONED.

I've taken the Drz out on the trails in the middle of the night by myself. Pitch black. I was coming up on deer standing in the trails. Definitely felt out of my own space.

I mainly ride alone too. I bought a small survival kit and put it in the stock fender pack on my DRZ. Just a nice thing to have to take the precautionary when you're on a trail ride alone if something where to happen.

I know what you mean, I mainly commute on my bike, and since I work alone, I don't really have much of a life. So when the war dept. is on the rampage (rag). I go bomb a few twistys and a couple of fields around the county. Always have to play it a little safe cuz the Z is my ride to work and getting hurt sucks. But yeah, it is my me time.

I ride alone 99% of the time in the high desert. I try to remember you can ride out in one hour what would take 10 hours to walk back. I keep my DRZ meticulously maintained. I start a ride with a full tank of gas and keep watch of the miles I've ridden. I dress for changing weather. I carry water. I make it a point to never get lost. I ride within my ability but still things can happen which adds to the adrenaline rush of riding alone. Sometimes I drink alone. nov302008015.jpg

...I ride alone quite a bit...at 56yro and just getting back into it after 30yrs I always carry a cell...got a 2004DRZ400E that's reg. in MA...I try to not ride over my head...however the bikes today are light years ahead of what we had back then....

I also ride alone amost of the time

almost always ride to fast thou hard to tell no one to guage the speed by

Keep good gear and things in top shape. Let someone know where you plan to go (plan, key word) and what time you expect to be back.

There are also those emergency locators that are for sale on this board. :busted:

I am in the same boat. I have recently met a few people from this forum to ride with. I usually take a backpack full of safety supplies. And yes, it is heavy and yes I ride conservatively. It doesn't bother me too much because I am still kind of a rookie so I can't ride that fast yet anyway.

Don't go down anything you don't think you could get back up. Don't forget to tell someone where you are riding and what time you expect to get back. Carry water, first aid kit, compass or gps, cell phone, beef jerky and trail mix, a thin survival blanket, a lighter, and most important a fairly large very sharp knife. You also might want to think about extra levers and such in case you do wreck and have no help. People ride alone a lot and do it safe, but it just takes that one time. Please be careful be a good planner! :busted:

I ride by myself quite a bit also.... I gave up on tyrying to get my pussywhipped buddies to go out for a ride so I just go myself. No use watching my bike collect dust in the garage like they do. I keep my bike well maintained and try to prepare for the worst. Anyone looking for a riding partner in SW Pa????

Now I don't feel so alone no more!

I'm lucky enough to be able to commute 20 miles off road to and from work on the DRZ400s, so I have to ride alone. Got all my tools, cell phone, full tank, all the protective riding gear and a back pack full of food and Gatorade. but the smatest thing I do before I go, is to tell my Bride (of 17yrs) my aproximate trails or routs that I'm taking, so that some one can find my carcass before the coyotes eat my face off, and I can still have an open casket!

Hey Rayn v, riding by headlight is a blast all by it's self!

Now I don't feel so alone no more!

I'm lucky enough to be able to commute 20 miles off road to and from work on the DRZ400s, so I have to ride alone. Got all my tools, cell phone, full tank, all the protective riding gear and a back pack full of food and Gatorade. but the smatest thing I do before I go, is to tell my Bride (of 17yrs) my aproximate trails or routs that I'm taking, so that some one can find my carcass before the coyotes eat my face off, and I can still have an open casket!

Hey Rayn v, riding by headlight is a blast all by it's self!

What do you do for a living? Just curious sounds cool.

Thanks, but I'm nothin' special. I live about 25 miles from Edwards Air Force Base, were I work as a maintanence man.

not so exciting, but the commute IS !!

kfpiel: I enjoyed seeing your picture of Johnson Valley. I have ridden there many times alone as I live in NC but visit PS often in Dec/Jan. I always pitted low in the basin. Broke a ring west of pit area but got to coast back in neutral.

I would rather ride with partners but will ride alone rather than not ride. I just ride more conservatively when alone.

I ride alone on the trails all the time. In fact most of the time as all my old riding buddies are aging wimps. I usually try to stick to areas where someone else is likely to come along eventually in case something happens. Plus I carry a Cell phone and ride within my limits. I don't have the time to pack a survival kit LOL!

I am a long time mountain biker and have just had my DRZ-E for a few months. I rode alone because of schedules and what not. Mountain biking I carried a camel back with tools, two space blankets, tinder, 3-4 flashlights, drugs like benadryl, epipen(rx, I am allergic to yellow jackets) some ibuprofen or stronger if I have some and a triangular bandage and spare food. I also carried at least a PPK walther and could fire 3 rounds every so often, hoping some of the hillbillies where I live know that is an international distress call.Carry a cell phone too, but that can be sketchy round here, even on a ridge. I like the idea of a locator beacon, but the $...

I also like the solitude, stopping whenever, no dust or roost. Haven't rode much on the DRZ yet but I am conservative motor or foot powered. When I was a teenager two friends of mine collided on a trail here in town along a torn up rail bed. They were both going with the throttle pinned and ran headlong into each other. Result: one buddy dead, other mangled and layed there for 2-3 hours before found. One thing that I noticed when I used to mountainbike so much , how motorcyclists would often be caught by surprise by oncoming motorcyclists, I would get out of the way and saw many close calls, and I remember that when riding my DRZ, another thing is that I suck really bad on a motorcycle in the woods so I have to ride conservatively. Be safe and enjoy the solitude!!!!!!:busted::moon: