Oil - how little can we use?

Strange title I suppose but here's the thing. The DRZ has a drinking problem, it uses 1.7 litres of oil but still demands short change periods when used on dirt. More modern bikes hold less and cope fine.

From memory the,

KTM450 holds about 1.1

WR450 1.1 & WR250 is 1.4

CRF450 950ml!!!!:busted:

So why do ours need so much?

I can understand that wet sump bikes need to maintain a certain level to ensure the pump is always covered but ours are dry sump.

My question is..........

Is the 1.7l required in order to increase the service interval or do Suzuki really think that so much oil will be spun around the engine that a massive head of oil in the tank will be need in order to maintain an un-interrupted supply to the oil pump?

Basically if I could get away with only filling 1 litres it'd be cool.

I'd change it more often and extend the dip stick so that I could still monitor the level. The bike would then be a little lighter up top and I wouldn't need to have part used bottles of oil hanging around in between changes.

Happy Christmas, Rich.:moon:

WOW, just wow. I'm sure you could get away with quite a bit less, but honestly its one of things that if you mess up just once it gets ungodly costly.

If you need to shave wieght that bad, maybe you need to find the threads where the guy cuts holes all over his bike. :busted: [or a lighter bike]

PS - I think most people dump in a full two quarts when they change.

WOW, just wow.

Thanks, I like to impress:thumbsup:

PS - I think most people dump in a full two quarts when they change.

Now what's a quart?:busted:

+1 on that, the boys in the lab coats figure out the correct amout of oil to use -- oil is the life blood of your engine LOW BLOOD BAD ,

I would almost bet the DRZ could get by with just a quart. But you would want to three oil changes to every one that you'd do with a full two quarts. This is one of the beauties about a dry sump system. As long as there is enough oil to fully cover the oil intake of the tank, the bike more or less, does not know any difference. Some guys with YZ's and WR's do away with the oil tank altogether and run between 1/2 and 3/4 quarts. Saves a fair amount of weight and they tend to change it after every ride.

Why would you use less oil so you have to do more changes and use more oil than just putting the required amount in the first time????????????

LOL, on a DRZ, I wouldn't, I fill it with a full two quarts. However, if you do consumme a bunch during spirited riding, it is not fatal (or as fatal) as it is with a wet sump engine if you run low (not dry, that intake of the tank must always be submerged).

My example above is for racers, who ride a single race then have thier mechanics do a change between moto's.

Why would you use less oil so you have to do more changes and use more oil than just putting the required amount in the first time????????????

I dunno?

It was just something I was thinking about. Two bottles of oil are quite heavy. If only one it needed then that is weight which doesn't need storing at handle bar height. It just seemed to me that if you use you bike for lanes then it tends to get more attention per mile than a street/commute bike. In that case I don't mind doubling my oil change interval if it's reducing the weight that's high up on the DRZ.

Think about it, in terms of engine wear it's all the same. Low oil isn't really an issue, if it's low on the dip stick it doesn't mean the engine is running dry. Less oil means the oil will circulate and degrade quicker, but if it's changed more often then it's exactly the same as before. It also means that as there is less oil in the tank it'll get up to running temperate quicker - that is an advantage at this time of year.

So the way I see it there are two pro's & two cons.

Bike might feel lighter and oil will be up to temp quicker.

Oil would need changing more frequently and you'll have less buffer for if you have a leak (however you probably won't notice a leak anyway so the outcome would probably be the same if the leak was major).

Me, I would just go on a diet if you need less weight unless you weight 120lbs now:smirk: :busted: A quart of oil can't weight more than 2 lbs so I just don't see any benefit from not running the full amount.

I would rather have extra "fresh" oil in there so the bearings are always getting good clean, cooler oil instead of using the same quart over and over breaking it down much quicker.

1 L of motor oil weighs about .7509 K or 1.65 lb

So the required 1.7L of oil for this motor weighs 1.276k or 2.81 lb

If your looking to drop weight from a DRZ... this is not your route.

As it is, you should be changing oil frequently, drop that start amount to 1 L or so.... assuming that would not cause the pump to fill the tank faster then it can drain back .. it's just not a great plan.

If you try it on purpose (may have done this by accident,, search is your friend for their results and new motor build up thread) Please take pictures and come back with the rsults.

+2 on Bronco's comment. The DRZ is no all out race bike, never was, never will be. Plenty of other bikes with the same or similar engine size out there that weigh a lot less from day one. I'd only run the minimum oil if I were a pro racer, and had already replaced every faster with Ti, was on a personal training regieme, made my living at it and a blown up bike meant nothing, just get another out of the trailer.

To normal people riding a DRZ, there is a lot of other things you can do to shave some weight. But you have to keep it all in perspective.

ha!

there is no way in hell i would put a 1000 miles on my crf without changing oil!

I respect where DrzDick is coming from in regards to saving weight as I am one who drills holes in my bike. There becomes a point in advanced Drz lightening when you run out of things to lighten. I am at this point currently and could not be happier with my Drz. Personally I will use the required amount of oil and the only added weight for me will be Eddies bigger battery as its a safety issue when riding alone off-road. nov172008004.jpg

im not even going to respond to this other than to say its very silly.

1 L of motor oil weighs about .7509 K or 1.65 lb

So the required 1.7L of oil for this motor weighs 1.276k or 2.81 lb

lol I have lost over a 1.5lbs by taking a hellthy shit

I have lost over a 1.5lbs by taking a healthy shit

AH HA HA HA HA:lol: :busted::moon::p

im not even going to respond to this other than to say its very silly.

Ahhhhhhh, come on :busted::moon::mad: I was so waiting for a standard Eddie reply...:p

To the OP.. No ones tiring to flame you for asking..... and you can take it or leave it.. But the position of most you'll find here that have run, and worked on few bikes over the years is.. This is not a path to pursue.

Good luck with what ever you choose.

I dunno?

It was just something I was thinking about. Two bottles of oil are quite heavy. If only one it needed then that is weight which doesn't need storing at handle bar height. It just seemed to me that if you use you bike for lanes then it tends to get more attention per mile than a street/commute bike. In that case I don't mind doubling my oil change interval if it's reducing the weight that's high up on the DRZ.

Think about it, in terms of engine wear it's all the same. Low oil isn't really an issue, if it's low on the dip stick it doesn't mean the engine is running dry. Less oil means the oil will circulate and degrade quicker, but if it's changed more often then it's exactly the same as before. It also means that as there is less oil in the tank it'll get up to running temperate quicker - that is an advantage at this time of year.

So the way I see it there are two pro's & two cons.

Bike might feel lighter and oil will be up to temp quicker.

Oil would need changing more frequently and you'll have less buffer for if you have a leak (however you probably won't notice a leak anyway so the outcome would probably be the same if the leak was major).

One more thing in the "cons." column. Any minor leak becomes an instant major leak when you are running on the edge of the minimum oil level. Shifter seal started dripping? How long before your pump starts sucking air?

Now that I think about it what quantity of oil can you take out before the lack of volume begins to allow the oil temp. to rise?

I just don't see any positive gain that is worth the risk. Search, some of the gang are into the weight loss program and have found lots of weight that can be safely removed from the good old DRz.

There becomes a point in advanced Drz lightening when you run out of things to lighten. I am at this point currently and could not be happier with my Drz. [/img]
So how much does she weigh??