transmission acting up?

so we have a 2004 nissan titan we bought as a demo and it now has about 39000 miles on it. but when we put it in 4 wheel drive the transmission is pretty loud. and also it seems like sometimes it slips and then grabs real quick. so is this normal or is there something wrong. cause if there is we are lucky cause its still undder warrenty

thanks luke

loud....do you mean you can hear some gear/chain noises that are not there in 2wd? That would be a transfer case issue or front diff....could be a bad bearing, could be just normal noise of more moving parts, depending on how loud it is.

The slip and grab....are you on snowy roads with patches of exposed blacktop? I know where I live, they don't seem to plow so well, so I have patches of snow, ice and random blacktop, and the AWD can act kinda funky sometimes on it.

if its a auto trans i could be timed to have your bands adjusted and have it serviced

if its a auto trans i could be timed to have your bands adjusted and have it serviced

The truck has 39k on it, plus its an '04 Titan. In theory it should be good for 100k before you even think about pulling the pan

I would see if it does the same thing on clean, dry pavement (if there is any in MN this time of year) , then take it to the dealer if it does.

If it makes noise while only in 4wd, I'd say it is something loading up in the transfer case. Could be as simple as chain noise, and be normal, or possibly a CV joint or U-joint to the front that is getting a little loose, or even the 4wd 'loading up' on places with good traction. Most part-time 4WD viechles that I know of have the front end geared ever so slightly higher than the rear end to keep it pulling straight ahead. When you have good traction (like a patch of clear pavement where it is otherwise slick) you can experience noise because the different ratios are fighting each other. This usually doesn't hurt anything because in low-traction situations, the tires slip a little before it overloads anything, and in high-traction situations, you should be in 2wd. Those little areas of good traction where it is mostly slick usually aren't enough to cause any harm, what wears things out fast is going on dry pavement in 4wd for extended distances.

The truck has 39k on it, plus its an '04 Titan. In theory it should be good for 100k before you even think about pulling the pan

I would see if it does the same thing on clean, dry pavement (if there is any in MN this time of year) , then take it to the dealer if it does.

the owners manual for my truck(2007 dodge ram 3500 4x4) says to have you trans serviced and the bands adjusted at 30000 miles. also nissian website says to service your trans at 30000 miles wether auto or manual

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/vehicle-care/maintenance.html

If your 4 wheel drive is part time 4 wheel drive when you turn it on dry pavement or any other high traction service the front and rear axles will bind when you turn the truck because being a part time four wheel drive system there is no differentail (the front and rear axles are locked together to turn at the same speed) in the transfer to make up in the difference in speed in the front and rear axles just the like the differentail in you axles. there is also a noticeable bounce in the steering wheel, the front tire hoping on the pavement trying to turn at the same speed as you reer tires and causing binding in your transfer case and axles not good. so don't turn your four wheel drive on pavement unless the it is slick from water or snow and ice which

ok thanks for all the replys. sorry for not replying as i am in mexico. he did say it sounds like something is binding and we where on the highway going from slick to dry

ok thanks for all the replys. sorry for not replying as i am in mexico. he did say it sounds like something is binding and we where on the highway going from slick to dry

Did I mention you suck?:busted:

Hurry back, it's 15F.

Wow, a Japanese truck with trans problems. Cant be true, I thought they were worlds better than the domestics. :busted:

ha ya it sucks pretty bad down here 85F and sit in the pool or ocean haha

ha ya it sucks pretty bad down here 85F and sit in the pool or ocean haha

I got a good 6" up here, reports are that Rush City area got over 14" today.

the owners manual for my truck(2007 dodge ram 3500 4x4) says to have you trans serviced and the bands adjusted at 30000 miles. also nissian website says to service your trans at 30000 miles wether auto or manual

http://www.nissanusa.com/owning/vehicle-care/maintenance.html

You know, its amazing how few truck owners really pay attention to that nonsense, ---- and even more amazing that trucks now live to 150k or more without so much as changing the oil and spark plugs

Naturally Nissan would suggest you take the truck to one of their certified service centers to change the trans oil, because they then will find 15 other things on it that need to be done and you walk out of the dealer $900 lighter , but with your Nissan mandated "Peace of mind"

Your Dodge may be a different story because it is a work truck, but unless you use it for its intended purpose, which is regular heavy towing, having the transmission bands adjusted at 30k is ludicrous . If it actually needs that kind of attention at 30k if --- its too frail a transmission to install in a work truck

But hey, when they have to mark down 47k trucks to 29k to move them, they have to make up for it somewhere

Naturally Nissan would suggest you take the truck to one of their certified service centers to change the trans oil, because they then will find 15 other things on it that need to be done and you walk out of the dealer $900 lighter , but with your Nissan mandated "Peace of mind"

And Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, etc don't tell their customers to bring the vehicle back to them?

I could care less if they find 17,328 things wrong with my truck at 30k miles.....it's still under warranty-fix away!

You know, its amazing how few truck owners really pay attention to that nonsense, ---- and even more amazing that trucks now live to 150k or more without so much as changing the oil and spark plugs

Your Dodge may be a different story because it is a work truck, but unless you use it for its intended purpose, which is regular heavy towing, having the transmission bands adjusted at 30k is ludicrous . If it actually needs that kind of attention at 30k if --- its too frail a transmission to install in a work truck

But hey, when they have to mark down 47k trucks to 29k to move them, they have to make up for it somewhere

I can't say for sure on the new trucks, but on my 94 Cummins, I set the bands every 30,000 miles. It only takes 10 minutes, doing it myself, on a creeper, and it really does make a difference on how tightly it shifts. Keep in mind, in the 13+ years I have owned it, it has gone between fill-ups without pulling a loaded trailer only once, and that time I filled up at half tank, because I knew I had a long trip ahead with a load & didn't want to have to stop.

Tightening the bands on the old Dodge trannys isn't as much about keeping them from slipping, as it is maintaining shift quality. The early trannys on the Cummin's were old-school, not self-adjusting like the newer ones are. By how tight you had each band, you controlled the grab/release of the different gears. Set up right, it shifted positively, yet smoothly. Overtightened bands cause a harsh shift, and bands that get a little loose lead to a slightly hesitant shift. Probably OK for tooling around, but with a load, you want the least slippage possible to keep things cooler.

And Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda, Dodge, etc don't tell their customers to bring the vehicle back to them?

I could care less if they find 17,328 things wrong with my truck at 30k miles.....it's still under warranty-fix away!

all the manufacturer's do, --- maintenance and wear/tear items are not covered under warranty

I can't say for sure on the new trucks, but on my 94 Cummins, I set the bands every 30,000 miles. It only takes 10 minutes, doing it myself, on a creeper, and it really does make a difference on how tightly it shifts. Keep in mind, in the 13+ years I have owned it, it has gone between fill-ups without pulling a loaded trailer only once, and that time I filled up at half tank, because I knew I had a long trip ahead with a load & didn't want to have to stop.

Tightening the bands on the old Dodge trannys isn't as much about keeping them from slipping, as it is maintaining shift quality. The early trannys on the Cummin's were old-school, not self-adjusting like the newer ones are. By how tight you had each band, you controlled the grab/release of the different gears. Set up right, it shifted positively, yet smoothly. Overtightened bands cause a harsh shift, and bands that get a little loose lead to a slightly hesitant shift. Probably OK for tooling around, but with a load, you want the least slippage possible to keep things cooler.

It sounds like you are using the truck for what its designed for, and as such, have a different driving experience than the average big truck buyer who only uses it to pull a big 5th wheel or car hauler occasionally, and the rest of the time, it functions as a big, bumpy riding soccer mom mobile.

all the manufacturer's do, --- maintenance and wear/tear items are not covered under warranty

This amounts to tires, brakes, and scheduled maintenance (fluid changes, tire rotation, wheel bearing service if applicable).

Honestly, the "spiff" work in a dealer isn't that prevalent....if there's something that needs attention, a good tech brings it to the customer's attention.

If not, there's plenty of other cars that are actually broken to work on.

well on wed. the truck wouldnt shift into 4wd so we took it in to the nissan dealer since it is still under warrenty. And guess what it was?? the whole front diff needs to be replaced. it had somthing to do with a clip coming loose or something. The mechanic said it was really rare but it has happened before.

thanks for the help

luke