Truck Bed Tent

A friend of mine has one. He says it is a pain in the fanny to use but if you have a board in the bed to cover the ribs, it is better than tenting in a mud puddle.

They make air matress's for those that are cut to fit around the wheel wells.

Only thing I have heard about those if it rains and the truck isn't setup right you will be sleaping in a bath tub. You have to have the front of the truck elevated to allow the water to run out of the bed if it gets in there.

Ive never slept in one myself.

What about using an easy-up canopy over the truck bed and just lower it so it touches the top of the truck bed. I have always wanted to try this. Seems like it would work well and the easy-ups are a breeze to setup.

My son uses one in Ocotillo. It is ok, out there wind is an issue. It is better than nothing and with the correct mattress just like any other tent camping situation. He does complain of dust issues, that is with all tents out there.

What about using an easy-up canopy over the truck bed and just lower it so it touches the top of the truck bed. I have always wanted to try this. Seems like it would work well and the easy-ups are a breeze to setup.

You must not have bugs down in Texas huh?

What about using an easy-up canopy over the truck bed...

I don't think an easy-up would help w/ warmth like a tent does. An easy-up would be a good call where warmth wasn't an issue.

I usually put a ski pole in each corner then throw a tarp over the whole deal and tie the tarp down. Easy and better than being on the ground.

I usually put a ski pole in each corner then throw a tarp over the whole deal and tie the tarp down. Easy and better than being on the ground.

Thanks, but that has nothing to do w/ the issue. :busted:

I got one of those Sportz Truck Tent things for Christmas. So I'll know come race season in a few months.

I'm just going to do the air matress thing and call it good. For quick and dirty trips it can just be the truck with the bike in the back and then sleeping there, so it should work. It is just a tent, so all of the normal drawbacks will still be there. If it is going to rain, I'll sleep in the truck anyway and not put it up just like I would with any tent. Sure beats sleeping on the ground.

Thanks, but that has nothing to do w/ the issue. :busted:

Just offering a cheaper alternative that I know works.:moon:

Shifter...I've never used one of those, so my reply is going to be outside the strike zone too, but at the risk of unintentionally appearing rude...(and my apologies if it does come across that way)

When we had our 5 acres of raw land in the north Georgia mtns., I bought several 10' lengths of 3/4" sch. 40 PVC from Home Depot, along with a bagful of PVC 45 degree elbow tee's (3 and 4 way), along with several 22 1/2 degree ell's. In about an hour's time, I had a lightweight and sturdy frame that could be assembled and broken down in about 5-10 minutes, that dropped into the stake pockets in my truck's bedrails. I then threw a 16' x 20' tarp over that, that could be tied tight against the truckbed in colder weather, or tied off at the roof angle to allow air flow. That length of tarp also covered the cab of my Silverado ext. cab and was great for opening the front and rear doors, providing coverage for changing, etc...while still having rain protection. The 20' tarp also extended out beyond the tailgate, making a great place for camp-chair lounging in wet weather. Finally, a queen-size air mattress made for perfect sleeping quarters for myself and the wife.

The best part of it all was the fact that the "floor" of the truck tent was elevated off the ground, making sleeping bag checks for snakes and scorpions a lot faster. :busted::moon:

(the only major drawback to this system was the inability to screen and zip for bugs...but that's why I'm such a big fan of Skin-So-Soft!)

I have had 2 of the Sportz brand tents and absolutely love them.... will never sleep on the ground again... a buddy of mine woke up in a puddle on the ground one night and now he's hooked too... mine is on the left , Truck Tent III... previous model Truck Tent II on the right

yakima07-007.jpg

and forget air mattresses... get some cheapo foam pads.(I got mine at a local Fred Meyer) and sleep better than your bed at home... bring your laptop and a stack of dvds... talk about spoiled-ass camper

I have had 2 of the Sportz brand tents and absolutely love them.... will never sleep on the ground again... a buddy of mine woke up in a puddle on the ground one night and now he's hooked too... mine is on the left , Truck Tent III... previous model Truck Tent II on the right

yakima07-007.jpg

and forget air mattresses... get some cheapo foam pads.(I got mine at a local Fred Meyer) and sleep better than your bed at home... bring your laptop and a stack of dvds... talk about spoiled-ass camper

Have you priced foam lately. I was looking for some replacement foam for my 1450 pelican case. I was looking at about 40 dollars for it. 53 for the pelican replacement. Went to an upholstery shop and a piece the size of a double bed but stiff was in the 100s. I was shocked, I found a manufacturer but haven't been there yet. :busted:

Have you priced foam lately.

I bought 4 pieces... enough to put 6in of foam down in the truck for not quite 40 bucks from my local fred meyer... they were marketed as "camping pads".. you can see two pieces in the middle right of this pic... with cutouts for the fender wells.... might take a little looking, but they are out there

yakima07-002.jpg

yakima07-007.jpg

Thanks... got it bookmarked. Yeah, no air mattresses... I just bring a big quilt or two from home and I'm good. I usally just sleep in the wide open bed when I'm in the desert, but I don't think I'm always going to be so lucky and not have rain. I want to get one for my moto trip to CO this spring. Last year I slept in the cab... was OK, but I don't want to do that again.

Just offering a cheaper alternative that I know works.:moon:

Sorry for my short jackass reply. :busted:

I bought 4 pieces... enough to put 6in of foam down in the truck for not quite 40 bucks from my local fred meyer... they were marketed as "camping pads".. you can see two pieces in the middle right of this pic... with cutouts for the fender wells.... might take a little looking, but they are out there

yakima07-002.jpg

I went to two places here looking and one in Riverside and it was ridiculously expensive. It was a very firm grade of foam. We don't have a Fred Meyers. I am going to the manufacturor directly next. I was thinking 25 to 40 also.

My Brother has a Adventurer and loves it. The zipper took a crap last year, and they sold him a new unit, minus poles and rain fly, for very cheap. We haven't done much rain, but it has held up against alot of wind.www.adventure1trucktent.com/store/index.html

17.jpg

I have this one and it has worked out good.

Deluxe Truck Tent.

I know its not the same thing but its nice to have the extra room.

I have used mine a couple times. Then I ended up finding a deal on a small RV some now I don't use it. PM me if you are interested in something like this cheap.

It is self supporting so it does not have to have the truck connected. I used it with my F-150 crew cab with a topper. Nice to sleep on mattress in the truck and have a place to put all of your other junk and a place to change cloths.

Anyway, just another option.