Sign in to follow this  

are the 03 xr400 choke plates better than

hi all.

new here.i just bought an 03 xr400 .

ive been reading that the choke plate is prone to breakage.

have they fixed this problem for 03 or is all xr400 prone too this.

also im new to dirt biking and am trying to learn as much as i can and this forum is awesome.

i'll give u the short version on this, but u'll get a better answer over in the XR section.

The only diffrence between any XR400 (and a 96 and up 250 for that matter) are the same, only diffrence is bold new graphics... ok... some small updates, but not much... the 250's are identical.

Anyway, as to that choke thingie. if i remember right, it's the backfire flap that's the issue. basically something to do with the hinge (i forget if it's a hinge or the spring) breaks and can cause the flap to fall into the engine. bad news. basically just glue the flap shut and your ok. i think. it's been a while since i posted over there, though i still ride my 250.

The early model XRs had a cast choke plate that was prone to fracturing. The later models are stamped steel, but the backfire flap and spring have still been known to fail. I never had a problem with mine but I replaced it anyway with the XRs Only unit. When/if you ever take the carb off, take a close look into the carb throat at the backfire flap, hinge and spring to check it's condition.

i'll give u the short version on this, but u'll get a better answer over in the XR section.

The only diffrence between any XR400 (and a 96 and up 250 for that matter) are the same, only diffrence is bold new graphics... ok... some small updates, but not much... the 250's are identical.

The xr4 had transmission countershaft upgrades, kick shaft i believe and a transmission shaft upgrade after '99. When the engine was really pushed hard with mods and such, guys started breaking the countershaft. so after '99 they beefed up those parts and didn't have a problem again.

The xr4 had transmission countershaft upgrades, kick shaft i believe and a transmission shaft upgrade after '99. When the engine was really pushed hard with mods and such, guys started breaking the countershaft. so after '99 they beefed up those parts and didn't have a problem again.

any reports of non-moded engines having issues?