Test road the XR400R on Snow/Ice today..

Oooh...spiffy ice screws. Isn't it amazing how much grip you get with them?

I love riding in the winter - all the good parts of dirtbiking are there, but all of the crappy parts of the sport simply don't exist in the winter after a good dose of snow and ice. There's no dust, no mudholes, no rockbeds, no bugs, you don't get too hot, and best of all, you don't even have to wash your bike when you get home - just park it and let it melt. Get thrown off of your bike into the woods, and you land in a couple of feet of poof instead of landing on a pile of rocks or logs. Once the trail freezes, with a handful of zip screws in your tires, the bike sticks so well it's like turning on ashpalt - and lean back and keep it WFO in the deeper stuff and steer with the rear end (deep sand technique).

2904596823_d0923cce57_o.jpg

Those $100 sets of ice screws sure are nice, but for me, a $15 tub of 1/2" sheet-metal zip screws (pointy ones - not the self tappers) from an HVAC supply house easily does 2-3 bikes and works just as well. I didn't put in quite as many screws as you did. 1-3 screws per knob in the back and one per in the front. It takes me about 45 minutes to stud my bike.

JayC

Holy crap.. that must have taken you forever to put those studs in. Did you hot glue them in too or just make a pilot hole and then screw them in?

I sure hope you have a bedliner in your truck. :moon:

I just screw them in and yes I have a bedliner ....:busted:

Oooh...spiffy ice screws. Isn't it amazing how much grip you get with them?

I love riding in the winter - all the good parts of dirtbiking are there, but all of the crappy parts of the sport simply don't exist in the winter after a good dose of snow and ice. There's no dust, no mudholes, no rockbeds, no bugs, you don't get too hot, and best of all, you don't even have to wash your bike when you get home - just park it and let it melt. Get thrown off of your bike into the woods, and you land in a couple of feet of poof instead of landing on a pile of rocks or logs. Once the trail freezes, with a handful of zip screws in your tires, the bike sticks so well it's like turning on ashpalt - and lean back and keep it WFO in the deeper stuff and steer with the rear end (deep sand technique).

JayC

Everything you said is 100% accurate.. :busted:

• 3 weeks later...

Jan 13 2009.

Tried the bike on a Icy Supermoto track past week end and compare to last time it didn't go as good .

I have very good rear traction but this time I had "0" front traction in turns .

I decided to get some different tires with MF44 Ice screws.

These have 1 1/2" long screws and the tires have 2 layer ( old street tires ) inside , so the screws goes in the MX tire , through the 2nd one and finish in the 3rd one.

They are special made for Supermoto ( can turn right and left ) and have brakes and acceleration angle.

I haven't tried them yet but hopefully this week end I will.

They look mean....?

Here's the front one , the right one ( on the bike ) is the one I made myself and the left one is the one I bought.

270510.jpg

270511.jpg

Since there is no room inside the front tire anymore you have to used a Heavy duty bicycle inner tube 26"X2.15" to fit there.

270512.jpg

270514.jpg

This front tire was very had to put on.....:moon:

270513.jpg

Here's the rear , right ( on the bike ) is the one I made and left is the new one.

270515.jpg

270516.jpg

270517.jpg

She's ready to go...... ?

270518.jpg

That looks the 'mutts nutts' as we say here in blighty, sick to you chaps;)

I do wish we had some decent cold weather so I can go down to the hardware shop and buy some screws, I don't think ice studs exist here, we get 1/2 inch of snow and the UK shuts down.

Damn dude... those tires are frickin serious looking. I was down at my local cycle shop the other day picking up some stuff for my bike and I noticed that they had an ice tire on display.. but they wanted $350 for just a rear tire. Screw that(Ice-Screw That, to be exact)!

The ones my shop had were not screws like that though.... they were almost more like tires with 1/2" needles/spikes sticking out of them.