YZ 80 makes the ultimate pit bike

My brother picked up a 2001 YZ 80 the other day for $400. That thing is a blast. We both wiegh over 200lbs and the bike hauls us around no problem. I can't see why anyone would waste their money on a pit bike, when you could buy a used YZ 80 for the same amount of money. The power band on this thing comes in like a rocket. I can't believe how hard it hits. The bottom end however is dead. It is so weak that you can barely take off, but once the power band comes in you better hold on. I don't see how little kids ride it. Anybody else use one like a pit bike?

A bunch of buddies use the little Honda 50 with varying degrees of hop ups ranging into the $$$. I found a blown up 89 KX80 with a 100 motor in it. I went through it and added a YZ80 front end and it flat screams. It's not going to be fair, but backyard racing has no rules anyway. For a change the two stroke will have the cc advantage.:busted:

Craigus

the problem is just that! They are too fast for a pitbike.....haha

Pit bikes used to be z50's and were awesome because

A, everyone had one...

B, they were all equally slow

C, you couldn't do a 90ft jump and kill yourself

D, you could have tons of laughs with some seriously hilarious wrecks...and get up and do it again!

But yes, a two stroke 80 absolulely KILLS any 80 cc fourstroke out there...hell, kills any air cooled pitbike....well almost kills them all! (can you beleive some 167 kits are making 20+ hp on an air cooled horizontal firing motor!)

anyways, I have began searching for a pw80 to mod out...port it, bump the compression, and mess with the clutch engagement. then hang on!

My brother picked up a 2001 YZ 80 the other day for $400. That thing is a blast. We both wiegh over 200lbs and the bike hauls us around no problem. I can't see why anyone would waste their money on a pit bike, when you could buy a used YZ 80 for the same amount of money. The power band on this thing comes in like a rocket. I can't believe how hard it hits. The bottom end however is dead. It is so weak that you can barely take off, but once the power band comes in you better hold on. I don't see how little kids ride it. Anybody else use one like a pit bike?

My friends and I have been holding what we called "Backyard Supercross" races since 93" It was a run what you bring up to 100cc, Thats why I have a 91 kx80 still. My one buddy had an 85 Cr80 that he sent out to PC and spent about 2k on it between the motor and the suspension. We would run a 3 moto format with a total of 9 motos the final 3 would all swap bikes to see who really was the better rider/bike. 3rd Sunday of every month. riding starts at 10 races start at 11 and end at around 2. Beer and pizza until 7pm. We still get together on the old bikes with the kids doing the majority of the riding on the same tracks we built 15yrs ago. We still get to enjoy the beer and pizza as well.

If I can talk a few of my buddies into getting some smaller bikes I will set up a track at the house. That would be awsome. We already do alot of smack talkin at work about the trail rides we go on. I can just imagine what would happen if we started racing each other on mini bikes. Most of us are getting a little old for hitting big jumps on our full size bikes. Takes too long to heal, and its too hard to support a family on disablility :busted: Atleast thats what my wife keeps telling me.

Here's mine that I paid $200 for and added another ~$200 for engine and another $150 for the front end. The Z50s were going for way too much and are way too small for me. It saved me enough $$ to get an 87 CR500 for my aluminum frame project and this sweet 98 CR500 that I'm taking out tomorrow if there's no monsoon.

Craigus

DSC00121.jpg

DSC00148.jpg

My friends and I have been holding what we called "Backyard Supercross" races since 93" It was a run what you bring up to 100cc, Thats why I have a 91 kx80 still. My one buddy had an 85 Cr80 that he sent out to PC and spent about 2k on it between the motor and the suspension. We would run a 3 moto format with a total of 9 motos the final 3 would all swap bikes to see who really was the better rider/bike. 3rd Sunday of every month. riding starts at 10 races start at 11 and end at around 2. Beer and pizza until 7pm. We still get together on the old bikes with the kids doing the majority of the riding on the same tracks we built 15yrs ago. We still get to enjoy the beer and pizza as well.

OMGosh! that is so F:foul: ckin AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That sounds like such a great time! I think i gotta get some friends to get some pit bikes :-)

If I can talk a few of my buddies into getting some smaller bikes I will set up a track at the house. That would be awsome. We already do alot of smack talkin at work about the trail rides we go on. I can just imagine what would happen if we started racing each other on mini bikes. Most of us are getting a little old for hitting big jumps on our full size bikes. Takes too long to heal, and its too hard to support a family on disablility :busted: Atleast thats what my wife keeps telling me.

small doubles or table tops, mounds of dirt in the corners. It doesn't need much. The important part to me was having all of my old friends around again enjoying the time together. It was good for us and good for our kids. I do want to hold a big event called the "Fathers Day Dirt and BBQ" and get a lot of dads(that don't ride) from the neigborhood out there with their kids and do some riding and have alot of fun!

Maybe next year :moon:

haha, I'm all into pitbikes. I want to build a 65 really bad. I actually just traded one of my pit bikes for a 03 RM85. And that thing will GET IT! It needs some TLC but I love this thing. It's a really fun "play bike" lot's of guys will get pissed if you call them pit bikes. But I pretty much consider it a pit bike. I can't wait to get it on a track. It's super light to..

i got one my brother rides it hes 14 , and 94yz80 with high comp piston,

suppper fasst crazy powerband your right you better hold on!

I always wanted to build up a kx 65. Virtually as powerful as an 80 with a small chassis. Actually, the kx 65 sort-of fit me and I was able to complete a lap on it!

I was going to grab a pair of old cr60's and run them. I was worried that I would end up cooking the motors and not be able to get parts. They are also a little on the small side now that i'm 200lbs I was about 140lbs when we started running the mini's