Kids helmets

Hi everyone.

I have a hard time finding a decent helmet for my five year old. Last february I bought him a AGV helmet and it is huge, he got his neck collar few months later and the two don't fit very well together. I didn't think of it when I bought the helmet but it is an XS and it comes in one shell size only.

When he has the chest protector and his collar, it almost looks as they push the helmet upwards, looks almost a little funny, but certanly not comfortable, and maybe not safe.

It looks to me as most of the kids helmets are at most 52cm, but they did't fit, and just a few days ago I measured his head to be little over 53 cm.

I will upgrade his helmet this winter as he will make the transaction form an ATV to a (hopefully) KTM pro junior. If you have had the same problem or if you have any ideas, any input would mean a lot.

Merry christmas and a happy new year.

Jóhann.

Hi utlendingur,

Welcome to the pee-wee forum :busted:

About 5 years ago when we bought a helmet for our 5 y/o girl, we found that Oneil's YOUTH XS fit just perfect. Don't recall the exact model - likely don't even make the same one anymore, but you might start there. We ran the EVS neckbrace at the time and didn't have any issues of the helmet pushing up as you mentioned.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year !

-Dave

Fryboy,

I have a 6yo, the best helmet I've ever seen for kids is Airoh (Italian), extremely reliable and super lightweight! Keep in mind, 80% of the best world (not US) riders ride in Airoh.. for some reason, they are not available in US, however I bought one online and extremely happy about it. Best quality and fits perfect. could be a bit pricy..

http://www.dirtbikebitz.com/airoh-stelt-junior-spider-red-motocross-helmet-p-1233.html

Hey Kot,

those look to be pretty nice! I am not familiar with the safety standard ratings they list? You are right... they might be pricey with the exchange rate of the Euro and all. I wonder why I haven't heard of the company?

My neices got the AFX in XS, that will fit a bigger 2/3 yr old with no problems, so the size range whould be pretty wide, and they have a whole mess of helmet styles.

Hey Kot,

those look to be pretty nice! I am not familiar with the safety standard ratings they list? You are right... they might be pricey with the exchange rate of the Euro and all. I wonder why I haven't heard of the company?

Hey,

Airoh has got one of the world's best safety rating, I personally use Airoh for years, had a few major crashes in it, hit stones and trees and they handled it perfect.

Price is high, but when you'll get it, you'll see it's worth it every cent. It has got one shell and replaceable chin parts, so you can have it for your kid for a few years.

Keep in mind though, airfreight from UK also adds like $60... But again, your kid will love it!

Hey,

Airoh has got one of the world's best safety rating, I personally use Airoh for years, had a few major crashes in it, hit stones and trees and they handled it perfect.

Price is high, but when you'll get it, you'll see it's worth it every cent. It has got one shell and replaceable chin parts, so you can have it for your kid for a few years.

Keep in mind though, airfreight from UK also adds like $60... But again, your kid will love it!

I only can quote you!:busted::moon::p

I wrote this the other day. My concern was my daughter is small and the weight of these helmets with her big head were an issue.

Since Airoh is not easy to find or try on here in the states the shop owner showed me this Vega Helmet that fit her great and is super light.

after much info and searching, after almost buying a bell bike helmet, off to the local MX shop I went with daughter in hand. After learning my 3.5 year old has a big head and no 2 helmets fit alike the shop owner pulled out a Vega Viper Jr. HALF the weight of an Oneal, much lighter than the HJC.

Exceeds DOT standards, great venting, really nice removable liner, ordered it with PINK flames to match the pink PW 50 and PINK Fox gear, for $75.00.

She will be safe and stying. I was shocked how light it was.

http://www.tremx.com/VEGA_Viper_Jr_O...pink-flame.htm

SixSixOne (www.sixsixone.com) has a few helmets which would be worth a look. They use two different shell sizes, which is great for the kids (less weight).

Mine has raced in one for the last few seasons; not only is it light, the liner and pads are washable, it offers good peripheral vision, is Snell & DOT approved, and my guy thinks the graphics are cool.

Hope this helps.

Some may disagree with me here but this is what i did...

My 6 year old hates how heavy his HJC is and it hurts his neck. Well money is tight so I did some research....

I found these Bell helmets at Walmart for $40.00.

Very light, rated for mountain biking and 40mph impact and come in all the cool designs. It has been a hit with my kids and i feel they are totaly safe.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8467093

There is also a HotWheels one and a few others in stores. Just an alternative suggestion. :thinking:

Keep in mind my kids do not race, just trail ride.

Some may disagree with me here but this is what i did...

My 6 year old hates how heavy his HJC is and it hurts his neck. Well money is tight so I did some research....

I found these Bell helmets at Walmart for $40.00.

Very light, rated for mountain biking and 40mph impact and come in all the cool designs. It has been a hit with my kids and i feel they are totaly safe.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=8467093

There is also a HotWheels one and a few others in stores. Just an alternative suggestion. :thinking:

Keep in mind my kids do not race, just trail ride.

that is what I was looking at due to the weight issue untill I found the Vega that is DOT and just as light as the Bell