Thinking of a trade, would like a few opinions.

I've got an 08 YZF250 wich I am very happy with. I do on occasion wish it had more power to help me recover from a mistake. I am talking to a guy about a trade for an 07 YZ250 smoker. It has a 10oz. FWW, throttle cam, and a Q silencer to help smooth things out.

I haven't ridden a 250t for 7 or 8 years. I hadn't been riding before that for at least that long. I was out of shape, and that bike kicked by butt a few times.

Fast forward about 8 years... I started riding again a few years ago, mostly MX with my son. I am getting ready to start racing 30+ beginner at my local track, wich by the way is mostly hard pack. (very hard pack) So I am comfortable riding again, just some days I miss the old smokers. Simple, cheap and fun.

Anyone with any experience changing? Is the smoker going to be more tiring? I will ride his bike before we trade if it happens. I just don't want to jump the gun then regret my decision. :busted: I've done things like that a time or twenty. Thanks.

The 2 stroke is faster but harder to ride. Your 4 stroke is really a sweet bike. You can easily make it faster with a big bore kit.

I have both and like both bikes but you can't get sloppy with the 2 stroke.

you can put the 290 kit on it but then you would have to race open class which would put you up against 450's and then your still going to be at a disadvantage. it really just depends on the type of racing you do. if you race mostly outdoor, long wide open tracks i would go for the smoker. but if your like me and race tight arenacross style tracks i would go with the 250f. either way their both nice bikes. good luck!

Get the smoker. the big bore kit isnt worth it...its what 40 more cc's? the 250 will always be faster, more reliable, less expensive, and a bigger "fun factor" :busted:

The 2 stroke is faster but harder to ride............but you can't get sloppy with the 2 stroke.

That's two of the things I've been thinking about. My 250f is easy to ride, forgiving when I get tired, and smooth on power. It is underpowered when I miss a line, or have a short run, or loose momentum. That will eventually teach me not to loose speed though.

The track I ride most gets rough and slick, so I worry a bit about hanging on to the smoker, especially when tired. Whiskey throttle + arm pump = BAD x PAIN! :busted:

I have watched the guys in my class for a while, they come out strong and tire in a few laps on their 450's. I am thinking that I might be able to use that to my advantage on my 250f. I'm hoping to keep a faster pace for a longer time. :moon:

I have an 08 also, keep yours the 2 stroke will be very hard to control on hard packed especially for a beginner racer. I also was thinking about getting rid of my 250 for a 450 and relized it is the rider not the bike. I am 48 215 lbs and very fast on my 250 I smoke 450's all the time. Good luck.

BT, My buddy who has a 450F and a 250F says he likes the 250F better because its easier to ride, its LIGHTER than the 450, and he's just as fast on it. I went riding today with some other guys who have the CRF250R and the YZ250 smoker. I rode them, and I liked the F better than the smoker. The 2stroke has a power hit that can catch you off guard and comes on harder than the F bike. Also if you let off the throttle, the 4T has engine braking where the 2T just rolls until you use the brakes. For wet riding, I have the 6oz flywheel weight, and it really smooths out the hit on the 4T. I do notice more rear wheel chatter when I use it though. My advice it keep the 250F. One of my other buds just picked up a YZ250 for 800 and it didn't need a thing. So you can find them out there, just buy one and have it on hand for when you want to go 2-strokin. What's my bike? Mine is an '03 YZ250F that I just rebuilt and put the WR tranny into it. It will haul on fire roads now and will still pull the front up in 4th, which is all I need. I've been out of it for a while too and got back in 2 years ago. The new 4-strokers are great, except when its rebuild time. The bike is more capable than I am a rider. All the comments above are good ones.

BT, The 2stroke has a power hit that can catch you off guard and comes on harder than the F bike...... Also the 4T has engine braking where the 2T just rolls until you use the brakes.......The new 4-strokers are great, except when its rebuild time....... The bike is more capable than I am a rider.

All very valid points for me. I do like the controllable power of the 250f. Most of the time I do like a bit of the engine braking. Rebuilds scare me $$$ Were on the second valve job on my son's CRF. I know the YZf's can go alto longer between, but I think the parts are more when it is time...I think.

And my bike is way more capable than I am. I ride with my son alto, or try to! I can only stay with him for about four turns now. He is moving up to novice this year.

it is the rider not the bike. I am 48 215 lbs and very fast on my 250 I smoke 450's all the time. Good luck.

Now that's what I want to hear!!! Good for you. I am a bit worried about starts, but I can run'em down!

BT, The thing to do with the 250F is check the valves, AND, replace the cam chain often. I bought mine used and didn't have the history on it. I rode it like heck until it jumped time and took the valves out. So probably it went about 100 to 130 hours. Valves are about 55 each (ouch) chain is about 17 (ah). So now that I know I have a fresh rebuild, I'm keeping track of the valve clearances and time on the motor. For keeping clean air going in, I added a Flo filter on top of my Twin Air. It didn't make any noticable difference in the way the motor runs and I didn't have any dirt in the intake at all this fall during the dusty season. The Hondas are bad about leaking at the airbox seal and the snorkle going to the carb is a pain to get on right. I'm 52 and still plunkin... hope to as long as I can.

before you sell change anything , i take it that youve sunk some $$$$ into your current bike on suspension etc because this is where you really become faster on any track, you have to give a je 290kit a go:worthy: :busted: i was blown away by the huge difference this made to my bike, its still no 450 but the bottttooommmm end snap is awsome, bike still feels light like a a250f but with a giant set of *$#%*^ BALLS:banana: :moon:

Solid advice everybody. Thanks. Feel free to add if anyone else has been there done this.

I am leaning towards keeping the f. I had a reason for buying this bike over a 450 or 250 smoker. I keep reminding myself of that.......then I hear braaapp!!

I need to get off the fence on this cuz the splinters in my balls are starting to hurt.

IMHO The trade sounds good on both end of the deal but I race the 30+ Junior class and you say the 250F doesnt get you out of trouble sometimes. The 250 2 stroke will get you in trouble at times LOL. My suggestion is if you are going to get the 2 stroke ride a gear higher and it will help with the 2 strokes narrower but more potent power band. Personally I sold my YZ450F and bought a YZ250F and I actually ride it faster than I ever did the 450F. It keeps me out of trouble too. Mortgage payment, truck payment, family responsibilitys. Cant do all that when your all busted up cause you lost control of the bike and ate Sh**. Been there dont want to do that again. What ever you decide I think its a great deal and good luck. :busted:

IMHO The trade sounds good on both end of the deal but I race the 30+ Junior class and you say the 250F doesnt get you out of trouble sometimes. The 250 2 stroke will get you in trouble at times LOL. My suggestion is if you are going to get the 2 stroke ride a gear higher and it will help with the 2 strokes narrower but more potent power band. Personally I sold my YZ450F and bought a YZ250F and I actually ride it faster than I ever did the 450F. It keeps me out of trouble too. Mortgage payment, truck payment, family responsibilitys. Cant do all that when your all busted up cause you lost control of the bike and ate Sh**. Been there dont want to do that again. What ever you decide I think its a great deal and good luck. :busted:

I hear ya on that. I was ready to do it, then I went out to the track yesterday and I remembered why I bought the bike I bought. I just don't need all the extra power right now. I feel good on the 250f. I turned a few racy laps with a guy on a KTM 250SX right in front of me, he never really got that thing on the pipe. I was only a bit faster then he was. So if he wasn't hardly using it, I can't use it. A lap or so after I passed him I pulled off to talk to him and couldn't find him.

Any way thanks for all the advice, it was really good. I liked hearing everyones reasons rather than "choose this one cuz' that's what I did/want too."

Hey Billy, This is Curt. I am currently on the road to Phoenix for the week--to trade bikes(?) as we discussed. I will be there early Tuesday morning (tomorrow). I didn't know you were on the fence. Please call me to let me know what you are going to do. My friend just happened to stumble on this post! I thought you were serious about the trade. I will be in touch. CURT :busted:

I never heard back from you after the 23rd. I emailed you this morning, Sorry. I will give you a call.

I rode a 2T YZ and bought a 250F.