California City question

I have a 1977 Yamaha 400 which I just rebuilt and got registered. I'm new to the world of riding bikes legally, so I have two questions.

1) Is California City accepting red sticker bikes right now?

2) I have a open muffler, much like a glasspack on a car. It is not a spark arrestor. Do they care, and if they do, what are the chances of me getting by inspection with it?

Thanks!

Chris

I just saw the sticky for the green/red sticker. Not sure what area California City is (newb to that area) but it looks like red stickers are allowed everywhere. :moon::busted:

Red stickers are ok. You will need to purchase their new ohv permit. They are $8 per Bike. You can go to the following web site for details.

http://www.californiacity-ca.us/

It's red sticker season everywhere in CA right now. And your pipe is illegal, and chances are higher in this area of getting inspected by a ranger, especially during the holidays.

Cal city is the exception. It is "city owned" land and they openly welcome red and green sticker riders all year round. Be sure to support the local business there. You probably won't find another city that welcomes and supports offroaders more than they do.

You MUST have a spark arrestor to ride in Cal City as well as anywhere in California. You will not pass any inspection on public lands and probably won't be able to talk yourself out of a ticket on that issue. Everyone is very serious about that.

Thank you so much guys. I guess I will be out searching for a spark arrester type muffler tomorrow. Is there such thing as a somewhat universal muffler that I could have u-clamped (temporarily, running out of time) or welded on?

Secondly, on the website posted above I saw a $8 permit required for DIRT. Can I buy that permit at California City or is it by mail only?

You can buy the permit at Borax Bill's on 20 mule team road on your way through town. As far as a spark arrestor, probably your only option is a Cobra Sparky. It's a separate screen type spark arrestor that clamps on to the back of your existing silencer. They come in various model specific configurations, but can easily be adapted to fit what ya got. If you're anywhere near Lancaster, Rider's CHoice on Sierra Highway just north of Avenue K has a pretty wide variety in stock. Bring your stock muffler in and have a go at it. They are about 70-80 bucks, but that's a heck of a lot cheaper than the 700 bucks a spark arrestor ticket would cost.

You guys rock. Thanks!

Oh, one thing you need to be careful of...as Mauricedorris said above, Cal City proper is not government (BLM or USFS) land, so the red/green thing does not apply. However, the area is surropunded by BLM/USFS/USAF etc land where the rules DO apply, and the boundaries are not clearly marked. As your 77 Yamaha is grandfatjered, you won't have any problems, but if family or friends are on red stickered bikes, it might be a good idea to get a map from the BLM or Friends of Jawbone and get familiar with about where the boundaries are. I don't think any rangers would be jerks enough to cite you if you were riding a red stickered bike in green season close to the boundaries and 'splained that you were trying to stay "on cal city land", but that would be a tough sell if you were half way to the Husky...

Oh, one thing you need to be careful of...as Mauricedorris said above, Cal City proper is not government (BLM or USFS) land, so the red/green thing does not apply. However, the area is surropunded by BLM/USFS/USAF etc land where the rules DO apply, and the boundaries are not clearly marked. As your 77 Yamaha is grandfatjered, you won't have any problems, but if family or friends are on red stickered bikes, it might be a good idea to get a map from the BLM or Friends of Jawbone and get familiar with about where the boundaries are. I don't think any rangers would be jerks enough to cite you if you were riding a red stickered bike in green season close to the boundaries and 'splained that you were trying to stay "on cal city land", but that would be a tough sell if you were half way to the Husky...

You said grandfathered... I didn't get this bike new, in fact the bike is older than me! Are you saying I should have not been able to get a red sticker for it? Or did you mean something else?

By the way, I just found a Sparky locally. Very hard to find but it will work perfectly!

You said grandfathered... I didn't get this bike new, in fact the bike is older than me! Are you saying I should have not been able to get a red sticker for it? Or did you mean something else?

Red sticker bikes are legal to ride anywhere in California where it is legal to ride a motorcycle right now, you will be fine. :busted: I think Birdy was just saying when its not red sticker season you can still ride in cal city but if you cross onto BLM land you can get a ticket

All bikes older that 2002 are green sticker no matter if they're 2st or 4st. As long as you have a current tag you will be good. The green sticker is preferable as you can ride it all year round as opposed to the red sticker where the riding season is in the winter months only unless you are on a closed course or Cal City.

By the way, I just found a Sparky locally. Very hard to find but it will work perfectly!

What I meant is because the bike is older than 2002, you are entitled to a Greeg Sticker and can ride anywhere, anytime. Glad you found the sparky!