pipe coating

I have the raw metal version of the DEP pipe and so far ive been getting by with using wd40 and a scotch brite pad to clean it when some rust appears. Well last weekend i went riding in mud and it got really rusted. I managed to get all the rust off but there are black spots left on the pipe and i cant get them off with the scotchbrite pad.

You guys have any ideas on how to get those spots out?

Also afterwards i wanted to coat it with some kind of high temperature coating to stop it from rusting so easily. Anybody got any suggestions?

Thanks for the help :busted:

find some local ceramic coater and get it ceramic heat coated, or nickle plated, but if you dont want to spend some cash just use high heat engine paint. if you want it chromed you might as well get a new pipe. thats expensive.

Powder coat typically holds up decent...about like a kawisaki two stroke pipe...though I don't like the glossy look...

You may be able to find a local guy or buddy who has the oven and spray tools to do it themselves.

ill look into that thanks :busted:

You know a ballpark range on the coating services?

I couldnt imagine it being too expensive for a expansion chamber. my dads cobra pipes were like $200 and those things are pretty big. its probably more expensive than powder coating.

cool thanks, once i get some money put together i think i will do that

Sand paper will get the black spots out. You can just use high temp paint on the pipe if you want.

what grit sand paper? like 800? I did want to go the hi temp paint route but wasnt sure if they offered a high temp clear coat or something close to it.

what grit sand paper? like 800? I did want to go the hi temp paint route but wasnt sure if they offered a high temp clear coat or something close to it.

Yeah, 800 would probably work. Then go over the whole pipe with a scotchbrite pad to make the spot you just sanded blend with the rest of the pipe. I believe they sel a high temp clear coat engine spray paint at auto stores.

I'm gonna bead blast my old pro circuit pipe. I may use hi temp black or the clear does sound appealing.

Do they make a clear enamel that's hi temp?

I believe i've seen some High temp clear at Walmart before

I have used the high temp clear before. It turned an odd color on the first 8-10 inches of the pipe, but still looked much better than the rust.

that sounds interesting. I might try the clear. If I don't like the discoloration for the first few inches I can always blast it again and paint it black :busted:

that sounds interesting. I might try the clear. If I don't like the discoloration for the first few inches I can always blast it again and paint it black :busted:

I dont think you would hate the way the clear discolored...the color was not clear, but it was not black. It was not blue....maybe a combination of all with some gold thrown in for good measure.

looks like a few of us are going to walmart! :busted:

I like it because you can polish the pipe like crazy before the coating. Once you clear coat it, the bike basically takes care of the coloring. The first 4 inches of pipe leaving the cylinder went black. From there it started to lighten up. Most areas had sort of a goldish finish.

The best clear coat I found was only good up to 500 degrees. Let me know i fyou find soemthign better, please.

yea same here. I just drove all over town trying to find some and the best i could find is the 500C stuff. I wasnt sure whether that will be good enough so i ended up not buying it...

RCannon - is that the stuff you used?

yea same here. I just drove all over town trying to find some and the best i could find is the 500C stuff. I wasnt sure whether that will be good enough so i ended up not buying it...

RCannon - is that the stuff you used?

Yea, thats the stuff. I felt like it was not enough for the first four inches of pipe, but ok after that. Even still, nothing bad happened..it just turned black. No fires, bubbling or anything fun.

thanks for describing that, roland. I'll do a little shopping and see what I come up with. Now that my motor spins well, I'm onto the cosmetic stuff :busted:

ok thats good, and it still works like a clearcoat by protecting the pipe from rusting right?