CR500 question

Picked up a nice '97 CR500 today....wow...the power that thing makes is scary..it feels more wicked than my buddies KX500...anyways the kickstrarter is a bit sloppy, where can I get a new one? I've looked at ebay...is there anywhere else?

Oh yeah...picked up an '07 CRF250 with a blown motor too.....silly four strokes...:busted:

Pics?

Stock replacement is all i know of. Try at this site www.bannedcr500riders.com I use a c-clip in the sloppy part of the kicker. Seems to work pretty well. Use two if you have too:thumbsup:

500... blown 250f... are you going to do what i think you are..? :busted:

500... blown 250f... are you going to do what i think you are..? :busted:

I hope so:thumbsup:AF's kick arse

Might as well get the kickstarter new from Service Honda, as well as everything else you may need to stuff that 500 motor in its proper home: the CRF250 rolling chassis.

The CR motor feels like more of a brute due to the lack of a power valve. The KX motor has a smoother power transition and more top end pull because of the dual stage KIPS, if both motors are stock. Also, many many KX500s are out there with improper preload on the power valves which slows them down. Usually when someone takes off the cylinder and puts it back on they don't get the power valve arm lined up right. It needs to be set so that it is 8mm out from the cylinder wall or it will feel a little softer on power if I remember the spec right. This was a critical part for setup.

I always kept a spare kickstarter (among other things) when I raced 500s. I would usually go through at least two a season on my KX500s and so did my buddies with their CR500s.

Cool..

Service Honda has new starters...I'll give them a call. Yes the two bikes are gonna become one...I've been all over cr500 and bannedcr500 sites...tons of good AF info on there.

This CR I have has full FMF exhaust...I'm gonna ride it for a few weeks like it is to just give the old steel chassis a run...the front brake is dragging a bit on it...I can't get over how much poop the motor has...:busted::moon: ...I'm so excited:ride: :p

You better research which chasses to use bfore you build AF,they are all different and have strengths and weaknesses.

I have built 2 and ridden many.

http://hondaparts-direct.com/ is another source for the kickstarter and you can get a discount if you join up at http://www.bannedcr500riders.com . I bought a 'well used" 2001 CR500 a couple of years ago and the kick starter was so sloppy, you couldn't get a full stroke out of it because it would hit the arm for the rear brake pedal. There are actually 2 parts to it; the lever and the part that bolts onto the shaft are sold separately.

CRF500...holly cow man I hope I'm still riding when I'm 70:thumbsup: ....yeah I did a lot of searching....this is the frame Service Honda uses so I know it's up to the task!

Hmmmm...so the starter is in 2 pieces...I wonder if they are both wore out....anyways...I was getting it ready to ride this morning by working on the front brake..it's dragging...tore apart the caliper and cleaned it as well as I could then went to refill the resivior and found one of the cap screws stripped out!:busted::moon::p so untill I get a dremel in there and drill it out...no front brake...who needs brakes on a 500cc two stroke anyways:banana: :mad:

I can't wait to get this swap going!

Make sure you post pictures!

See you over at the banned site...

Hmmmm...so the starter is in 2 pieces...I wonder if they are both wore out

I take that back; I just double checked and found that was the mistake I made. HPD fisch shows ARM, KICK STARTER 28300-MAC-680 which is the whole assembly. I ordered that and the JOINT, KICK ARM 28302-ML3-600 to make sure I had both parts and ended up with a spare joint. The bell section at the bottom of the kick starter that slips over the piviot joint is what usually distorts. Sorry for the confusion.

Cool! Teemtrubble....from what I've read on the net you're an old pro at this 500 swapping business!

CRF500...holly cow man I hope I'm still riding when I'm 70:thumbsup: ....yeah I did a lot of searching....this is the frame Service Honda uses so I know it's up to the task!

Hmmmm...so the starter is in 2 pieces...I wonder if they are both wore out....anyways...I was getting it ready to ride this morning by working on the front brake..it's dragging...tore apart the caliper and cleaned it as well as I could then went to refill the resivior and found one of the cap screws stripped out!:busted::moon::p so untill I get a dremel in there and drill it out...no front brake...who needs brakes on a 500cc two stroke anyways:banana: :mad:

I can't wait to get this swap going!

Just because SH uses it doesn't mean much.I built a 03 n 05 CRF 450 and had a SH 2003 and I can tell you the bikes are really different.

Go to banned and talk to some who have built the CRF250,the newer chasses are for super X and in my opinion have some issues in some conditions with a 500 motor in them.

The last thing you want to do is build a bike that is not good for your size or riding conditions.

My 05 was really sketchy compared to the 03.

Cool! Teemtrubble....from what I've read on the net you're an old pro at this 500 swapping business!

I'm the new guy actually :busted:

CRF500, yeah I see your point. The '07 bike was at the right price and the motor was already out of it so I took it. All I know is that ANY chassis over the stocker is gonna be a HUGE improvement. The Honda chassis from the early 90's is by far the worst handling motorcycle ever built. I take that back I had a 1990 KTM250 that handled slightly worse, they copied the Honda chassis and had crappier forks.:busted:

CRF500, yeah I see your point. The '07 bike was at the right price and the motor was already out of it so I took it. All I know is that ANY chassis over the stocker is gonna be a HUGE improvement. The Honda chassis from the early 90's is by far the worst handling motorcycle ever built. I take that back I had a 1990 KTM250 that handled slightly worse, they copied the Honda chassis and had crappier forks.:moon:

If you think that the 1990 KTM 250 handled bad, you should have spent a couple of races attempting to ride the last true 500s that KTM made. I raced a '91 KTM 500 a few times. It was a few times to many. The only positive thing I could say about the bike is that it started easy. And since it was a left hand kicker that was a good thing. The 550 MXC KTM made had the advantage that you knew going in that it wasn't going to turn. For the 500 MX I expected it to at least be close to my KX500 or the CR 500s I also rode from time to time. But no...:busted:

As much as I would love to build a CR500AF or KX500AF, I would never ever ever ever even think about resurecting a KTM 500 motor to put in a newer KTM chassis. That bike sucked...

If you think that the 1990 KTM 250 handled bad, you should have spent a couple of races attempting to ride the last true 500s that KTM made. I raced a '91 KTM 500 a few times. It was a few times to many. The only positive thing I could say about the bike is that it started easy. And since it was a left hand kicker that was a good thing. The 550 MXC KTM made had the advantage that you knew going in that it wasn't going to turn. For the 500 MX I expected it to at least be close to my KX500 or the CR 500s I also rode from time to time. But no...:busted:

As much as I would love to build a CR500AF or KX500AF, I would never ever ever ever even think about resurecting a KTM 500 motor to put in a newer KTM chassis. That bike sucked...

True that!!!!!

CRF500, yeah I see your point. The '07 bike was at the right price and the motor was already out of it so I took it. All I know is that ANY chassis over the stocker is gonna be a HUGE improvement. The Honda chassis from the early 90's is by far the worst handling motorcycle ever built. I take that back I had a 1990 KTM250 that handled slightly worse, they copied the Honda chassis and had crappier forks.:busted:
Yaa they were not that great after the 89 redesign,most people do not realize the 87 n 88 were overall the best working 500's Honda ever made. The newer ones were better in a few way's but were worse in alot more ways. Major push and they do not put the power to the ground very well. The 87 n 88 put the power to the ground way better and had no push up front.

If you ride sand and high speed I think the 02-04 CRF 450 is by far the best one to do. For lower speed mx what you are building is good but they do not track that well in sand and can be sketchy at speed also if you are a big fat ass like me the older CRf 450 is way more comfortable.

:moon::p CRF500..how can you be a 70 year old fat ass riding an open class two stroke! Funny stuff...

...yeah I guess if you want to make a scary bike scarier put a bigger motor in it what was KTM thinking!

Well I'm about 200 pounds and love the way my 2005 RM250 handles. I ride mainly MX but do hit the dunes a few times a year. I rode my friends '06 CRF250 and thought it handled great..felt more stable than my RM. I just hope I can produce a qualty bike that stays in one piece! It still kills me that I have to gut a perfectly good 1997 CR500:cry: :busted: