Road trip to Ok., best place(s) to ride ?

Hey,

I've looked in the "Where to ride" section of the forum, but wanted some input from people who have been to some of these tracks/facilities. Going to be loading up in Winnipeg MB, Canada and heading to Oklahoma - Cooperland, Area51, etc. We've got 4 or 5 days to ride and want to hit what people would consider the best tracks to go to.

Going to be down there for the second week in February, I'd assume some places will be closed that early in the season ?

Where are the best places to go ?

Thanks !!

If you're looking to do some trail riding Then Stillwater cycle park is the best place to go. 500 acres of some pretty fun trails there are a few pretty big jumps but not very many. The motocross track has not been rebuilt yet. If you're looking to ride motocross then cooper land.

All the good riders from Oklahoma ride/race in Texas this time of year.

Here's a great place in the north east Ok

http://rivervalleymx.com/

If you check the info section they have practice every weekend, weather permitting.

We're going to be down there during the week, any really good tracks that are open all week long ?

I'm not really interested in doing any racing down there, don't want to have to buy competition licences only to get minimal track time. What we're after is tracks to ride at from early am to dark, during the week. Any tracks open like that ?

Where are the best tracks to hit in Texas ?

Thanks again for the help !

Where are the best tracks to hit in Texas ?

The best tracks in the North Texas, Dallas/Ft.Worth area that open for practice are Oakhill in Decatur, River Valley in Boyd, Nocona MX in Nocona, Village Creek in Fort Worth and Underground Mx in Kemp.

The best track in Houston is Three Palms and the best track in San Antonio is Cycle Ranch.

No license or membership is required at most races here.

Also, there are about 20 other tracks within 100 miles of the DFW area. You can ride a different track 7 days a week here.

CamP, I've been looking at the tracks you suggested in TX and they look pretty sweet.

What I need to do is find a group of tracks close together, preferably places that won't require a lot of travel time between the different facilities.

We're going to have 4 or 5 days to get all of our riding in and I don't want to waste time on the road. I've noticed that a lot of the tracks are open from 10am to 4pm, what's a guy supposed to do after 4pm ?

Of course, I'd rather drive a little extra if it means riding at an awesome track as opposed to a crappy one.

If someone has a list of four or five tracks that are wicked to ride, close together, and are open longer than 6 hours a day........

I know.. I'm not asking for too much here..... :busted:

CamP, I've been looking at the tracks you suggested in TX and they look pretty sweet.

What I need to do is find a group of tracks close together, preferably places that won't require a lot of travel time between the different facilities.

We're going to have 4 or 5 days to get all of our riding in and I don't want to waste time on the road. I've noticed that a lot of the tracks are open from 10am to 4pm, what's a guy supposed to do after 4pm ?

Of course, I'd rather drive a little extra if it means riding at an awesome track as opposed to a crappy one.

If someone has a list of four or five tracks that are wicked to ride, close together, and are open longer than 6 hours a day........

I know.. I'm not asking for too much here..... :busted:

It doesn't get any better than Dallas/Fort Worth for this kind of trip. We have over 20 tracks within an hour of DFW airport. If I was your travel planner I would suggest these tracks as they are the four best tracks that are open for practice.

Wednesday - Travel to Village Creek and ride from 1 to dark. Then travel about one hour to Underground MX and camp out.

Thursday - ride all day at Underground then camp out over night

Friday - ride all day at UG, then travel two hours to River Valley and camp out.

Saturday - ride River Valley all day, then camp out.

Sunday - either ride RV again or travel one hour north to Nocona MX and ride all day.

Monday - head back to the snow.

www.rivervalleymotocross.com

www.undergroundmxpark.com

www.villagecreekmx.com

www.noconamx.com

Hey,

Well, I've spent the last day or so plotting those tracks on Google earth trying to find out exactly where they are and trying to set up a schedule - what tracks to hit and on what day. My wife's starting to get mad..... and I'm just in the planning stage. :busted:

A lot of them don't have their websites updated, as far as practice days/times go - one of them hasn't been updated since May. So, I've called all of them but most are planning new years stuff and don't say anything about riding days/times in January.

We're going to leave here on the 26th of January, so we'll get there early morning on the 27th (Tuesday).

Here's my plan so far..

Arrive at Underground MX Tues am, ride at Village Creek Wed., I'd like to ride River Valley Thursday but they're only open weekends. So might head to Oak Hill instead. Nocona will more than likely be our last stop (because they're the furthest track to the North) but they're only open on Saturday, so we've got to find somewhere to go for Friday ? Maybe East Fork MX in Wichita Falls ?

Like I said before, a lot of these tracks are only open until 4 or 5pm. I'm assuming so they can prep for the next day ? What I'd really like to do is hit a track somewhere that's lit up, I've never ridden when it's dark out.

Again CamP, thanks for your help !!

Any other really good tracks that are open during the week ?

Village only does night practice on Tuesdays. Most of the night racing/practicing happens in the summer when it's hot. Oakhill is hosting the Texas Winter Series Jan 31st and Feb 1st. You'll only be able to ride there if you sign up to race. I would suggest that you substitute East Fork for Nocona if Nocona isn't open for Sunday practice by the time you arrive. Another option that requires a little back tracking is Nocona Saturday, then camping at River Valley Saturday night and riding there Sunday. It's also possible that you will like River Valley so much on Saturday that you'll want to stay and ride there Sunday as well. It's that good. Underground is the best track that is open on Fridays and they are open all day, every day. That's why I scheduled them for Thursday and Friday.

The schedule I posted earlier is as good as it gets with the exception of Nocona if they haven't resumed their Sunday practice by the time you arrive.

That looks good, I'm sure things are gonna change a bit by the time we get down there - as far as where/when we ride.

Here's my next question, I've got a set of Dunlop 756's (front/rear) and a set of Dunlop 739's (front/rear). I'm assuming the 756's would be a better choice than the 739's for the type of dirt down there ? Which set should I mount up ?

I'm gonna need to buy you a beer when I get down there :busted:

That looks good, I'm sure things are gonna change a bit by the time we get down there - as far as where/when we ride.

Here's my next question, I've got a set of Dunlop 756's (front/rear) and a set of Dunlop 739's (front/rear). I'm assuming the 756's would be a better choice than the 739's for the type of dirt down there ? Which set should I mount up ?

I'm gonna need to buy you a beer when I get down there :busted:

The 756 is the tire of choice for the tracks I've listed. They are are all soft/int tracks. BTW, there is the chance that Oakhill will be open for practice Friday before their races.

Beer is always good. :moon:

I'd like to ride River Valley Thursday but they're only open weekends

river valley usually has practice on thursdays. unless something changed.

Alan, are we going to see you back at the races in 09? If you are down at Oak Hill during those race dates keep an eye out for the Millar's as it sounds like Ryan may be down there then shaking some of the winter rust off. Never ridden down there but heard lots of good reports on Nocona from friends.

river valley usually has practice on thursdays. unless something changed.

Bruce is going in for hip resurfacing next week so they are going to suspend Thursdays until he feels good enough to work. He'll be out for six weeks, or so.

Alright, here's the final draft :

Oak Hill Tuesday

Drive to Village Creek Tues evening - ride night practice 1hr 5min / 61 miles

Ride Village Creek Wednesday drive 1hr 22min/73 miles to Underground

Thursday ride Underground drive 47 min/40 miles to Buffalo Creek

Friday ride Buffalo Creek drive 49 min/42 miles to River Valley

Saturday ride River Valley drive 1hr 10 min/60 miles to Nocona

Sunday ride Nocona drive 3hrs 15min/200 miles to Guthrie Ok.

Monday ride Guthrie Guthrie to Winnipeg 16 hours / 1062 miles

This is the best I could come up with, keeping in mind travel times and distances between tracks. Riding Guthrie will set us up so we're a little closer to home.

CamP, are you gonna be at any of these tracks when we're there ? We'll be at Oak Hill on the 27th, Village Creek on the 28th and so on.

I can't wait...... :thinking:

That sounds like a good plan. I not sure where I'll be riding in three weeks, but the chances are good that I'll be at River Valley that Saturday. Hope to see you there. :thinking:

BTW, The weather today was sunny and 75.

Drive to Village Creek Tues evening - ride night practice 1hr 5min / 61 miles

village night track is closed for the winter until at the latest the end of february.

village night track is closed for the winter until at the latest the end of february.

They'll be beat from riding Oakhill all day anyway.