Sign in to follow this  

Salt on my frame has messed up the finish?

Road salt from riding on a trailer sat on the frame and swingarm and messed up the finish is there anything I can do to bring back a nice finish.

Scotch brite or similar and polish with some WD-40. Do it ASAP. Let it sit as little as possible before doing it.

Thanks for the help guys I'll try that stuff after work tonight. I was so mad cause I just bought this 08 with 20 hrs on it and it looks brand new then on the way home this happened so hopefully this works. Thanks again.

Even the marring that your pants and boots put on the frame can be very easy to erase with the scotchbrite. You just have to rub it back and forth lengthwise up and down the frame spars. This is how the factory finishes the aluminum, and it will replicate it every time. I prefer to do it dry, with no water or anything else, and it will look exactly like the day it came off of the assembly line.

I used a green scotch brite pad with WD-40 and it did a fantastic job, thanks alot now I can keep my bikes looking brand new almost! I love this thumpertalk forum:worthy: I was smiling ear to ear and couldn't stop starring at it in disbelief. I will try it next time with out the wd40 and see what happens hopefully like you said look brand new. I couldn't find the red scotch bright pads. Anyways thanks again you guys are the best:ride: Now what other tricks are there to keeping my bike looking brand new? What about those darn case covers where my boot rubs.

I used a green scotch brite pad with WD-40 and it did a fantastic job, thanks alot now I can keep my bikes looking brand new almost! I love this thumpertalk forum:worthy: I was smiling ear to ear and couldn't stop starring at it in disbelief. I will try it next time with out the wd40 and see what happens hopefully like you said look brand new. I couldn't find the red scotch bright pads. Anyways thanks again you guys are the best:ride: Now what other tricks are there to keeping my bike looking brand new? What about those darn case covers where my boot rubs.

I had my clutch cover on my 08 sand blasted so you never see any rub at all anymore:thumbsup: