How to get a stripped cylinder bolt out?

So i just started tearing down the old 600 and got down to the last cylinder bolt and the darn head rounded off! I tried to put a small pair of vice grips through the fins but there isn't enough room to move it and still can't get a 11mm socket on it. I tried to search the forum but couldnt find anything. Has anyone had this happen to them and found a way to grip it. Thanks for any advice

A small chisel from the side to get it started.First a sharp one to cut a "notch"then a dull one to loosen.

Craftsman makes an excellent tool for those. I have had great success with it on exactly what your talking about. It works like a socket but has spiraled teeth in it to bite on the rounded bolt and tighten on it as you attempt to loosen it. I dont know what they call it but check out sears and you will see it.

Ya i have a set but they dont attach to a rachet and the size i need is too big to fit down through the fins to get to the bolt. Does craftsman make an extractor set that attaches to rachets

Do you have or have access to a welder?? Any kind??

ya a mig and stick welder are you thinking of welding an old socket or something of the sort on it

Would a long cutting bit on a Dremel tool fit between the fins to cut off the head?

That might work but i dont know if i would try it just so i didn't scar the surface underneath the head

There is another tool that MIGHT work. Its kinda hard to describe but imagine an impact deepwell socket that has a tapered smooth bore on the inside. You use it with an impact gun by spinning it on and the friction makes it hot and expand slightly. Wait a few seconds for it to cool so it locks onto the head then back it off. The socket is usually a one time use deal but i have had good success using it to remove keyed lug nuts where the owner lost the key.

Which bolt is it? Can you take a pic?

With your welder weld a nut to the top of the striped head. The best rod to use is a modified 312 stainless (like MG 600 or Stoody versaloy GP) but you could use 7018. The heat from the arc will help loosen the bolt.

Which bolt is it? Can you take a pic?

Its the back bolt on the clutch side holding down the cylinder. But good news! I went and bought bolt extractors that attach to a rachet and with some elbow grease it grabbed and got it out! such relief But now another question. My bike started blowing all kinds of smoke when i decided to tear it down. when i took it apart the top of the combustion chamber and piston are caked in carbon. Is this bad? By the way i have an 88 XR600 that has never been opened up before.

when i took it apart the top of the combustion chamber and piston are caked in carbon. Is this bad? By the way i have an 88 XR600 that has never been opened up before.

Soft greasy carbon is an indication of oil passing by the piston and rings into the combustion chamber, the exhaust smoke indicates that this is most likely the case. Get hold of a service manual and measure the cylinder bore as outlined, that will tell you if the jug needs bored or not. If you are lucky, you might need only a new piston and rings.

The carbon is solid and just about completely baked on im hoping that its just because its the original piston thats been in there for 20 years. Measuring the jug is next on my list tho. Thanks for the info

The carbon is solid and just about completely baked on im hoping that its just because its the original piston thats been in there for 20 years.

That is probably the case. High mileage RFVCs usually do have lots of carbon on the head and piston because being aircooled, they like to run a little on the rich side.

Drill the bolt head off.

Pull the cylinder off, and then pull the bolt out.

Oops, you already got it out.....