powder coating frame, without taking the swing arm off??

Hey all....so, I thought I would throw this question out there. You see, I'm interested in getting my frame powder coated, by want to take the lazy way out by not trying to remove the swing arm. I've heard of people having a helluva time trying to get it out, and I would rather not try to fuss with something that's working properly. :p

That said, is there any way I can just get them to tape it up and around it really good, and wrap the rest in newspaper or something????

Any help would be great!! :moon::busted:

Hey all....so, I thought I would throw this question out there. You see, I'm interested in getting my frame powder coated, by want to take the lazy way out by not trying to remove the swing arm. I've heard of people having a helluva time trying to get it out, and I would rather not try to fuss with something that's working properly. :p

That said, is there any way I can just get them to tape it up and around it really good, and wrap the rest in newspaper or something????

Any help would be great!! :moon::busted:

a big breaker bar and a 6 sided socket.

maybe soak it in some PB blaster?

just PC the swingarm and the frame...

well you have to take into accound the swingarm linkage...theres bearings and all sorts of goodies in that...with powdercoating you deal with heat and...yeah i dont think its the best idea

you can not powder coat your frame with the swingarm on. Power coating has to be baked in a oven and it will destroy your bearings and your shock if you leave it on. They are easy to take off, and should be taken apart once a year and greased any ways.

you can not powder coat your frame with the swingarm on. Power coating has to be baked in a oven and it will destroy your bearings and your shock if you leave it on. They are easy to take off, and should be taken apart once a year and greased any ways.

+1 :busted:

Yea, I totally forgot about the baking part. Looks like the swing arm is coming off. Won't be my first time doing it, but it will be my first on this bike. And I suspect it hasn't been removed since it was last installed from KTM in 2004.... :p:busted:

P.S. Do I have to remove the linkage from my bike too?? :moon:

How old is the bike? You may not even have any trouble.

If you have access to a hydraulic press it's a breeze: if it gives you any trouble just press it out.

KTM's dont have a linkage. And, you should be taking your swingarm off and cleaning the seals and regreasing/packing the bearings at least once a year if not more. Make sure you remove the seals and bearings from the linkage if you powdercoat it too.

KTM's dont have a linkage. And, you should be taking your swingarm off and cleaning the seals and regreasing/packing the bearings at least once a year if not more. Make sure you remove the seals and bearings from the linkage if you powdercoat it too.

:busted::moon:

Yes, I'm aware that KTM's don't have linkage. Hence the "busted" smiley... :mad::p

Everything should come off the frame when powdercoating,even the steering races.You should lube bearings and moving parts at least once a year.

007-1-1.jpg

that pic looks scary

It's not bad I did it on my old ktm...took me about an hour to put it back together.

I had my triple clamps powdercoated with the head bearing still on it and it still works fine. Did absolutely no damage. Steve, I'd just grow a pair and give it a shot taking it off, what's the worst that could happen, you can't do it. So you take it to a shop and have them do it.

I had my triple clamps powdercoated with the head bearing still on it and it still works fine. Did absolutely no damage. Steve, I'd just grow a pair and give it a shot taking it off, what's the worst that could happen, you can't do it. So you take it to a shop and have them do it.

Hahaha, yea...I'm not that worried about taking it off. Like I said, I've done it several times on my 250F. I was just looking for the lazy way out and trying to half-ass it... :moon:

I'll probably do it sometime in the next few weeks and send the frame out when I re-do my suspension. :busted:

Hahaha, yea...I'm not that worried about taking it off. Like I said, I've done it several times on my 250F. I was just looking for the lazy way out and trying to half-ass it... :mad:

I'll probably do it sometime in the next few weeks and send the frame out when I re-do my suspension. :busted:

Post pics if/when you get it done. :moon::p