XR250R fork revalve

• Experts

I have a set of 1997 forks that I am revalving. I read here that most are removing 3 of the 7 full sized shims in the stack. When I took them apart the stacks were slightly different in that one had a thin (narrow) shim on the bottom of the stack ( closest to the bottom of the fork ) and the other side had the thin (narrow) shim on top of the stack ( closest to the top of fork or the valve 6mm (10mm wrench) nut ). I put them on the top of the stack is this correct ? Or should both be on the bottom ?

Thanks,

Dwight

Dwight, I am getting ready to do my XR250 forks on my XR200. Let me know how you make out. Do you have the tool to hold the inners to remove the bottom bolt? If so did you make it or buy it? Do you know what size it needs to be....like 27mm or so I think...not sure.

• Experts
Dwight, I am getting ready to do my XR250 forks on my XR200. Let me know how you make out. Do you have the tool to hold the inners to remove the bottom bolt? If so did you make it or buy it? Do you know what size it needs to be....like 27mm or so I think...not sure.

The fork center bolt that holds the delta valve is a allen wrench type. I used a 14mm allen socket and a 1/2" air wrench. Got a 12, 14, and 17 set at Auto Zone. Do not remove the spring or fork cap. Turn forks upside down and slightly compress forks by pushing down. Use air wrench and the delta valve bolt comes right out. I did my revalve and then replaced the bolt before turning the forks rightside up and removing the springs to replace the oil.

Dwight

The fork center bolt that holds the delta valve is a allen wrench type. I used a 14mm allen socket and a 1/2" air wrench. Got a 12, 14, and 17 set at Auto Zone. Do not remove the spring or fork cap. Turn forks upside down and slightly compress forks by pushing down. Use air wrench and the delta valve bolt comes right out. I did my revalve and then replaced the bolt before turning the forks rightside up and removing the springs to replace the oil.

Dwight

Thats interesting, the springs put enough pressure on it to keep it from spinning? I was going to make a tool to hold it. For now I am just doing springs, seals, and bushings. I will put emulators in later.

• Experts
Thats interesting, the springs put enough pressure on it to keep it from spinning? I was going to make a tool to hold it. For now I am just doing springs, seals, and bushings. I will put emulators in later.

What year forks are you using ? If 1996 or later , you don't need emulators as they are already cartridge forks. Yes spring pressure along with a air wrench usually works.

Dwight

What year forks are you using ? If 1996 or later , you don't need emulators as they are already cartridge forks. Yes spring pressure along with a air wrench usually works.

Dwight

I have a pair of 87 forks I am using. Put them on my 98 xr200. Also used the 250 swingarm and shortened the dogbone linkage the level it out. Going to keep looking for an early 200 shock and rebuild it as well. Trying to build a low budget hare scramble bike.

• Experts
I have a pair of 87 forks I am using. Put them on my 98 xr200. Also used the 250 swingarm and shortened the dogbone linkage the level it out. Going to keep looking for an early 200 shock and rebuild it as well. Trying to build a low budget hare scramble bike.

OK, but I put a set of 1987 XR200 forks with emulators and Progressive Suspension springson my 2000 model and a 1987 shock with a Works Performance cartridge . By doing this I can also use the same bike in Post Vintage AHRMA competition. If you put a disc brake on the front, it is illegal for AHRMA.

Oh, I have been doing quite well in H/S with my bike.

Finishing #2 SrA class for year.

Dwight

• Experts
I read here that most are removing 3 of the 7 full sized shims in the stack. When I took them apart the stacks were slightly different in that one had a thin (narrow) shim on the bottom of the stack ( closest to the bottom of the fork ) and the other side had the thin (narrow) shim on top of the stack ( closest to the top of fork or the valve 6mm (10mm wrench) nut ). I put them on the top of the stack is this correct ? Or should both be on the bottom ?

Thanks,

Dwight

I switch the shims around so the narrow one is at the bottom of stack now.

Thanks for the help.

Dwight

Hi Dwight,

I've only worked on my XR400 forks which are different from the XR250 forks.

My friend Pat, who did most of the work and revalved several XR400's said the shim stack on the XR400 was very odd. Usually, the shims are stacked like a Christmas tree, but the XR400 had a "square stack". His shim stack for the XR400 should be listed on this forum. Also, he said that not all XR400's had the same shim stack.

I hope this helps.

Kevin