Brand New 09 Having Starting Issues

I got a brand new 09 2 weeks ago and have had a hard time trying to get it started and getting it consistently started. Haven't checked the valves as of yet. I'm waiting on some feeler gauges. Everything is bone stock on the bike. My cold starting procedure consists of 2-4 full turns of the throttle w/ fuel and choke on. I've had to kick 15+ times at some points to get it fired. When it's warm, it's very inconsistent. It may start on 1 kick with the hot start or 7 without the hot start. Will a fuel screw and JD jet kit help out with my problems or should I check the valves first? It's only been on 2 rides so far, but may be participating in some racing action next weekend and would love to have something figured out. Thanks!

A trick that gets my 07 started is pull choke out, pull the hot start then release it then give it 3 quick cracks of the throttle then pull the hot start again and release then kick down slow to get on TDC then give it a strong full kick

id probly say jetting too...your pilot is probly too could be valves bu they shouldnt be to tight from take it bak if they were!!:busted:

I have a new motor in my 250R. Two blips of the throttle, no choke until it starts. Usually starts second kick cold. I can't for the life of me get it to start hot. No throttle, no blip, and in three or four kicks gas is running out the carb. Recommendations appreciated.

I have the same bike with similar issues. The problem is these bikes are jetted lean from the factory. Living up north the problem is worse because of the cold temps.Replace the stock pilot #42 with a #45 and richen up the fuel screw slightly and it should start alot better.

Cool! Thanks guys.

We had the same issues. I was ready to return the bike it was so bad.

We're new to Honda having been on Kawasaki's forever, and just got an 09.

What I changed to:

Leak jet #55 (stock from the KX250F)

Needle full rich

hesitation when cracking the throttle greatly improved.

My son says the bike still feels lean when holding the throttle steady in the mid range. I have a #45 pilot jet which just arrived and haven't had a chance to test yet. I suspect this will help the midrange. But now it starts with 1 or 2 kicks hot or cold.

Here is some info from MXA magazine:

Main: 185

Pilot: 45 (42 stock)

Needle: NNWT (NNSU stock)

Clip: Third from top

Fuel screw: 1-1/4 (2-1/4 stock)

Leak jet: 60 (70 stock)

for the full scoop look here:

Do you think those jetting specs would apply to an 08? I bought it used and am about to sell it because it is so hard to start. Valves in spec but havent checked to see what pilot jet is in it. Runs perfect with no lean pop on decel.

Do you think those jetting specs would apply to an 08? I bought it used and am about to sell it because it is so hard to start. Valves in spec but havent checked to see what pilot jet is in it. Runs perfect with no lean pop on decel.

Put a 45 pilot and a new plug We also put a 45 leak jet in to cure the bog and it starts great now Have you done the decomp mod?

Yeah, did the decomp mod and was dissapointed that it didnt help. Should have looked into the pilot jet first. I'll check to see whats in there and change to a 45 if I need to. Any lean condition I have will only be compounded by the cold weather I am trying to ride in.

On cold days we do have to pump the throttle 3-4 times to get them to lite. I did have an issue with the 08 being hard to start and had a mid range bog and it was the plug it looked fine to the eye but I put the new one in and problems went away. That was the first time I had ever had a plug act like that on one of these new generation four stokes. I did decomp and I am sure it helped but had the plug issue at the same time Threw me off

An update to my earlier reply:

We've added the 45 pilot jet which cleaned up the midrange

Here is what MXA recommends:

Here is what I used which works really well

Main: 185

Pilot: 45 (42 stock)

Needle: NNWT (NNSU stock)

Clip: Third from top

Fuel screw: 1-1/4 (2-1/4 stock)

Leak jet: 55 (70 stock)

A couple of updates which really helped:

Lower the float height by 1-2mm. (less fuel in the float bowl)

This really helps keep the bike from stalling when dropped. And makes restarting a 1-2 kick process if it does stall. I realized this was a problem one day when I took the bike off the stand while running and it stalled while pissing fuel out the overflow onto my sneakers.

Set the accelerator pump adjustment screw so there is 0 play. This completely removed any hint of bog when snapping the throttle.

id say check the plug if its fouled out change it then try if i fouls out again something else is wrong

I am actually holding that article in my hand it list the specs from 04 thru 09.

are you serious? troll somewhere else

i had the same problem when i bought my 08 after a few weeks, check the valves they take a few hours to seat, i have 40 hours on mine since then and havent had to do anything yet.

The real trick is simple, follow the instructions in the manual with a couple of caveats.

1. DO NOT TOUCH THE THROTTLE before you try to start the bike, I know you think you are not giving it gas but you are and you are flooding it, does not take much, hold on to the throttle cable perch, do not touch the throttle when loading or unloading or when pushing the bike

2. Always slowly move the kick until you hear the decompressor click, this is TDC then kick

3. Always follow shut down procedure in manual, turn off petcock, rev 2 or 3 times then kill anytime you shut down the bike

4. EVERY TIME you shut down move the kick until the decompressor clicks and it will start on the first kick 99% of the time, coke when cold, hot start when hot

5. If you have flooded it, and if you touched the throttle or tried to kick it from anywhere other than TDC or in gear you flooded it, throttle wide open, hot start open, 10 slow kicks, move to TDC, and it will start on the first kick, if it is cold, then pull the choke after it has started