Universal triple clamp recall

I recently bought an aftermarket Universal triple clamp on eBay, directly from Universal Engineering based in Cali.

Today, I came across a recall on these clamps that was released in March 07: http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07538.html

If these clamps have been found to be defective, how come the manufacturer keeps selling them on eBay? :busted:

Does anybody have more info about this?

Just a guess but i would say they fixed the problem..It looks like they recalled a bad batch. As you just bought yours and they recalled ones from06-07. Cars get recalled all the time it doesn't mean they stop selling the car they fix the problem and continue to sell the product.

I'd check with the manufacturer. They may have released an improved version.

Always a good idea.. They are the experts on this product, as well as the only ones who can address it if there is an issue.

Just a guess but i would say they fixed the problem..It looks like they recalled a bad batch. As you just bought yours and they recalled ones from06-07. Cars get recalled all the time it doesn't mean they stop selling the car they fix the problem and continue to sell the product.

Generally true, but in this case it would seem the manufacture took a different path

From the recall flier

In part

Remedy: Consumers who have installed the Clamp should not operate their motorcycle until the Clamp has been removed and replaced with a factory OEM clamp. Universal Engineering will not be issuing replacement clamps. Universal Engineering is providing a full refund for the cost these clamps. Consumers who have been identified as having purchased the Clamps will be notified by mail directly from Universal Engineering.

There's no way you can find out if your product was from an 06 or 08 batch. Additionally, the clamps they're selling on eBay are old stock.

However, they replied to my email saying that the recall affected only 06-07 YZ clamps. The statement doesn't say that but I guess this infomation is hidden under the two product numbers mentioned.

Hope one day somebody finds this information helpful.