How is the 09 CRF450 for offroad and trail riding?

I'm looking for a new bike. There are so many good bikes out now I don't know which one to get. I'm only interested in the 09 CRF 450. I don't care what great trail bike you have now. How is the crf for desert riding? I do alot of technical trails, all desert, tons of rocks of all sizes, slow speed and high speed washes. So what do you guys think?

Of course I will be setting the suspension up for desert racing. I will also add a scotts stabilizer and a recluse pro clutch if stalling is a problem.

Thanks.:busted:

In stock form? Awful!

After a few mods, it may be possible.

I'll be honest... It's a bad idea from the start.

You'll need A LOT of after market parts...

Belly pans, hand guards, rad guards and i'd invest in a flywheel weight.

You might wanna see if you can upgrade your cooling system too, mine overheats within mins in the tight slow trails... I've noticed if you're not going atleast a constant 20mph(ish) it will start spewing out coolant from to overflow tube...

For anything remotely technical, you are going to need increased flywheel mass, a Rekluse Pro, and it will be a really good idea to pack a whole bunch of coolant with you as it will be bubbling. You will also have to get a reprogramming of the EFI maps to get it to transition more smoothly IMO.

I would argue that you could do as well in most desert situations with an '08 or older R compared to the X (other than all out high speed). I don't believe that to be the case for the '09 after putting some time on it. It will take a lot more work to get it to where you need it than any previous R.

I'll be honest... It's a bad idea from the start.

You'll need A LOT of after market parts...

Belly pans, hand guards, rad guards and i'd invest in a flywheel weight.

You might wanna see if you can upgrade your cooling system too, mine overheats within mins in the tight slow trails... I've noticed if you're not going atleast a constant 20mph(ish) it will start spewing out coolant from to overflow tube...

Skid plates, hand gaurds, radiator braces or guards are a good idea on any bike for offroad. :busted:

That kind of riding is KTMs domain.

I would argue that you could do as well in most desert situations with an '08 or older R compared to the X (other than all out high speed). I don't believe that to be the case for the '09 after putting some time on it. It will take a lot more work to get it to where you need it than any previous R.

Why? Whats your argument? What work that an 08 would'nt need?:busted:

Why? Whats your argument? What work that an 08 would'nt need?:busted:

For me, I don't think that the '08 would need a Rekluse, a heavier flywheel weight, or of course, the EFI remapping. IMO the '09 revs faster and requires much more throttle control than the '08 (or previous years) 450Rs do.

Once again, this is IMO, but to me Honda spent the R&D to build an even more focused MX machine than any R before it. And this is why many "testers" seem to hate it I would think. To Honda's (NOT mine) way of thinking, why would you buy a 450R if you are going to ride off road? Honda thinks you should have an X. Just like Honda thinks I should sell my 650R to buy an X. If you want to get an '09 450R to ride off road, knock yourself out. I motocross my XR650R every now and then, so it isn't like I'm one to use a bike for it's sole intent or purpose.

The way I look at it, for the money to buy a new 450R and make it off road raceable, you could buy a holdover 450X, drop in an R cam, and cut a bunch of weight off of it while finishing way ahead money wise and still having e-start (for this I factor that you would do the suspension and exhaust on either machine so that is a wash). Or you can do what Team JCR does and take the e-start and battery off of the X and save even more weight (getting it near R poundage).

For me, I don't think that the '08 would need a Rekluse, a heavier flywheel weight, or of course, the EFI remapping. IMO the '09 revs faster and requires much more throttle control than the '08 (or previous years) 450Rs do.

Once again, this is IMO, but to me Honda spent the R&D to build an even more focused MX machine than any R before it. And this is why many "testers" seem to hate it I would think. To Honda's (NOT mine) way of thinking, why would you buy a 450R if you are going to ride off road? Honda thinks you should have an X. Just like Honda thinks I should sell my 650R to buy an X. If you want to get an '09 450R to ride off road, knock yourself out. I motocross my XR650R every now and then, so it isn't like I'm one to use a bike for it's sole intent or purpose.

The way I look at it, for the money to buy a new 450R and make it off road raceable, you could buy a holdover 450X, drop in an R cam, and cut a bunch of weight off of it while finishing way ahead money wise and still having e-start (for this I factor that you would do the suspension and exhaust on either machine so that is a wash). Or you can do what Team JCR does and take the e-start and battery off of the X and save even more weight (getting it near R poundage).

Thanks for your reply, it all makes sense to me. I have not considered an X because my top priority is weight. I want the lightest bike possible. I'm having a hard time switching from my CR250 it's light, powerful and set up for off road.:busted:

Depends what type of rider you are. I ride and race mainly off-road, with some mx mixed in. All the suggestions above are mods you could make to any bike you want to make trail worthy.

My only complaint so far, is the front suspension, it needs revalved for rocks and roots, but what bike doesn't? I've had mine in about every off-road situation known to man so far and it performs well, but I am in the process of revalving the front end myself.

If you like a light feel, then this is a great bike for you. If you love the light feel, don't add a flywheel weight, that extra mass may help you hook up better, but has really negative effects on the handling. Try using a good tire and lower air pressure.

I've never had any temp or boil over issues with this machine, I'm kind of shocked to hear that comment.. Either way, it's fair in stock trim and a good overall bike, the X-model is a pig, you don't want it. My dad tried making the jump from an X to an R just a few months ago, he's back on an 09 R again.

There's something to be said for weight and handling, those are the 2 most important things and the 09 R wins for sure in these categories, the rest you can tailor to your own liking.

The simple mods/adjustments I've made so far.

Works Connection -

Radiator Braces

Skid Plate

Case Guard

Dipstick

Elite Perch & Lever

Acerbis Uniko Handguards

Pro Circuit Ti Flo-Thru Pegs

FMF Ti Q4 S/A exhaust with the quiet core and baffle removed

in all honestly, I would say the 09R isn't what I would consider a strong trail bike as that wasn't the intent of this bike by any stretch. It's a track and SX designed bike. The weight concern I feel isn't going to hold you back by any stretch. The smaller tank size is going to cause problems for you though.