Sign in to follow this  

To buy or not to buy? KTM200

There is a 2003 ktm 200sx for sale locally that is in need of repair. It threw the chain and broke the left case. The guy claims that is the only problem and is willing to sell it for $1000. Is it worth the money to buy and repair it. What could the bike be worth if I fixed it and cleaned the bike up?

yes it is worth it if you can do the work yourself. You can buy a set of used cases, a complete lower end or some combo to fix it.

Ok any clue what I could sell it for? Even a rough estimate? Id keep it but I already have a cr250 and a crf250.

Around here they bring $1500-1800. I see 99-01 250s go for 1500-1800 also.

$1000 is on high side. offer $800. If you get into motor and find anything else wrong you are screwed. CLutch basket, crank etc... You need to inspect everything. My 2 cents. Good luck!

I sold my mint 2003 200SX back in late 05 for 2,800.00, since they only made them for two years you might do OK with the sale but I would watch how much money you dump into it.

Nice concept for KTM but the 03 suspension was unbalanced even after a revalve, motor was great with proper jetting.

Buy and you just might like it enough to keep it. It's actaully right between the CRF and CR250 power wise. I think I'd be a fun project bike even if you only made $500 off it.

they are desireable for a KTM person in the know cuz of the SX motor. If real nice here in CA $2500-3000, average would be low 2s.

There is a 2003 ktm 200sx for sale locally that is in need of repair. It threw the chain and broke the left case. The guy claims that is the only problem and is willing to sell it for $1000. Is it worth the money to buy and repair it. What could the bike be worth if I fixed it and cleaned the bike up?

From what I could tell from that add it was the left center case. I believe the cases are a matched set. So you would need to find a matched set off EBAY and do a complete engine teardown. At that point you might as well replace all of the bearings and seals and do the crank. You are going to put some time into it, but would have a nice bike in the end.

What could the bike be worth if I fixed it and cleaned the bike up?

Sorry for not reading the thrust of your post, but in yoday's selling environment it might be tough to make money fixing it up.