Am I the only one that hates to sell their bike?

I feel like i am beeting my head against a wall lately :busted: riding weather is coming in a month or 2 and on one hand I love my CRF250R cause its got lots of power, and When i ride in the gravel pit, or on the track I just feel so at home on it and know i can make it up or over pretty much anything i point it at. But on the other hand i hate the matinence of modern 4 strokes, I don't have the time or money to do oil changes so often, and I think it will need a new bottom end if i ride it as much as i usually do this season. I just love this bike and don't want to see it go, but keeping it doesn't really seem to be an option :moon: by the way, probably get a CR or RM 250, it just scares me cause i have one chance to get this right, and once i have a new bike, there is no going back...

I know i have to make the decision, but what would you guys do in my situation? I ride so many hours in a week sometimes that i would just hate to see my 4t blow its brains out

I feel like i am beeting my head against a wall lately :busted: riding weather is coming in a month or 2 and on one hand I love my CRF250R cause its got lots of power, and When i ride in the gravel pit, or on the track I just feel so at home on it and know i can make it up or over pretty much anything i point it at. But on the other hand i hate the matinence of modern 4 strokes, I don't have the time or money to do oil changes so often, and I think it will need a new bottom end if i ride it as much as i usually do this season. I just love this bike and don't want to see it go, but keeping it doesn't really seem to be an option :moon: by the way, probably get a CR or RM 250, it just scares me cause i have one chance to get this right, and once i have a new bike, there is no going back...

I know i have to make the decision, but what would you guys do in my situation? I ride so many hours in a week sometimes that i would just hate to see my 4t blow its brains out

It is hard and i hope you make the right choice for you! One of my buds just rebuilt his 06 crf after the bottom end let go. It cost him $3300.00 to get the motor redone. Atleast with a 2 stroke it is cheaper to rebuild.

here do you ride?

This is easy. If you are on a tight budget, and you ride a lot, a 250T beats 250F hands down.

I ride pretty much everywhere, gravel pits allot in the summer time, tracks allot on the week end (might race B class this year) and down the road on occasion to get to a field (only if its muddy cause i have my DRZ400SM for that) I know that 250 2t would be the better bike for me, but i just find my selfe stuck not knowing if i will enjoy it as much...

Definitly buy a 2 stroke. Cheaper and easier to ride.

i race twice a month and practice at least once a week.i have an 01426 done the motor once

my son has a 04 and an 06crf450 no problems.we clean the air filters after every race or practice and the oil and oil filters every two races.

these bikes have been pretty dependable i dont understand why everybody says 4strokes require so much work

If i was only racing it would be great, but every 2 races is 40 minutes... now i use my bike daily for 2 hours (usually more) a day, i have to change the oil every 2 days! And when it comes out, it usually looks worn out (dark brown) I have put 10 hours on my bike in one day (stopping for fuel obviously) so if i changed the oil as much as you, that would be 15 oil changes in a day...

Sell the bike and get a 250 2t. I was in the same situation as you, didnt want to keep worrying about religious maintanence and needed the money for a truck. Sold the bike, was heart broken, but once i saved up enough to get a new bike, i figured i would go for a 250 2t and am not turing back, power is everywhere and it is so much easier to maintain.

I don't quite understand the maintenance dilemma, but I think at your age and my estimation of your riding abilities, { you sound above average } you should be riding a 250 two stroke, they are beasts compared to your crf250 and much more fun at your age if your wild. lighter and more powerfull, what more could a 16 year old ask for. You'll come back to the 4t someday

Run full synthetic motorcycle oil and dont change it so often. Most manuals say to change it every 15 hours and thats with normal oil. I change mine every three rides or about ten hours to be safe and have never had a problem. The oil gets that dark colour quickly because of the clutch. It has to go through the filter before going up to top end so it is cleaned anyway. Plus, your running a Honda so it has seperate resevoirs. Just change your filter every oil change at about 10 hours and you'll be fine.

Its not really the oil change maintenance (although they get quite annoying and costly), But its more the fact that if something goes wrong, like a few grains of sand get into my head because the air filter didn't get seated just right... there is another $1000 (rebuilt it once last fall) At this point in my life i cant afford that, im in a sketchy financial situation, I have insurance to pay on my DRZ, gota start saving for a truck, insurance on that, gas... I just cant afford the thing to blow on me... and after seeing a few of them blow for pretty much no reason, im almost scared to ride it. My friends bike got a crack in the bottom end some how and did $3500 damage to his engine, and thats with the sponsors discount... my bike is only worth that much, if that happened to me, i wouldn't have a bike at all... I think im set on getting the 250 2t.

if you dont race you should be riding a 250 2 stroke...(IMO)

Good idea. If you still want to ride and want the cheapest option a 2-stroke is the way to go. You still get the big power(actually a 250 2-stroke will have considerably more than your 250F), most people think they are more fun to ride due to their harsh powerband, they are easier to work on and require less time investment, and their maintanace costs are way, way less. Thumpers are really just better for racing because they are easier to ride and can lay down faster lap times. I have a 250F and I think my next bike will be a 250 smoker. I'll race the 250F and use the smoker for everything else.

If you can't afford maintenance, you can't afford repairs, or updating your gear as needed, or much else for that matter.

I'd sell it and buy a cheaper bike, or get a better job so you afford something you can enjoy riding & taking care of. It's easy to want things so much you'll put up with an unsatisfactory experience, but it sounds like you bought something you can't afford to keep.

If you can't afford maintenance, you can't afford repairs, or updating your gear as needed, or much else for that matter.

I'd sell it and buy a cheaper bike, or get a better job so you afford something you can enjoy riding & taking care of. It's easy to want things so much you'll put up with an unsatisfactory experience, but it sounds like you bought something you can't afford to keep.

Nailed it.

well i had a really good job at a motorcycle shop when i bought the bike, but then i lost that job in the spring when i crashed and broke my ankle cause i wasn't wearing proper boots. I got those now :busted: but i don't get free oil from the shop like i did when i worked there, and i don't get 20% off parts, and im not making alot of money at the moment. I will probably get a job eventually. I still have about $1500 in the bank for anything that i need for my bike, So paying for parts and stuff i break isn't really a problem, and i know how to fix pretty much everything on my bike now from working at the shop. Only thing i cant do is shim the valves on it cause i dont have a shim kit, and rebuild it, i did it once with help but i wouldn't feel confident to go ahead and do it myself. Anyways Im Going to put it up for sale later today, going to be a sad day when she leaves...

I feel like i am beeting my head against a wall lately :p riding weather is coming in a month or 2 and on one hand I love my CRF250R cause its got lots of power, and When i ride in the gravel pit, or on the track I just feel so at home on it and know i can make it up or over pretty much anything i point it at. But on the other hand i hate the matinence of modern 4 strokes, I don't have the time or money to do oil changes so often, and I think it will need a new bottom end if i ride it as much as i usually do this season. I just love this bike and don't want to see it go, but keeping it doesn't really seem to be an option :p by the way, probably get a CR or RM 250, it just scares me cause i have one chance to get this right, and once i have a new bike, there is no going back...

I'm in exact same situation as you are. I love my CRF250 allot It suits me so well all the power handling everything, except the high cost of maintenance bothers me and if something goes wrong I'm doomed. As you said that you ride allot I'm quite opposite. This year I rode only 28h on my almost brand new bike I simply couldn't ride more. More you ride more you destroy, more you spend,...I simply went to my bicycle and rode it all day to get in good shape (4000 miles per year and more) It is way cheaper. I'd like to ride more to gain that real motocross endurance and to be a better rider. But 250 2T power simply scares me. Maybe I would get use to it but I ride only MX in more or less tight tracks. 125 is just not that what I like (torque). I'm so hard on selling my stuff because all I have I bought by my self and I respect that allot and fell in "love" to quick. The other CRF250 I had was so difficult to sell I just didn't want to let it go, because I cared for it really good. The same story is with this bike, but he failed on me (right intake) :p. Now I don't know what to do. Repair it (really costly) or simply sell it and go with the 2T 250. But what will I buy. Now I know that all on the bike is tiptop unless that intake. If I buy used bike...good lord you newer know what you get 3-4 year of abuse is quite allot :busted: I would like to go with a new 2T, but that is another story :p. I'm so ****ed up because that "small" problem...o yea it's the money :eek:. Now will be more than 1 month and I'm still thinking all day what to do, what to do, what.....:moon::mad:

Same situation here. I have an 07 kx450 and am looking to go back to a 2-stroke (06 yz250) to avoid the costs of running a 4-stroke mx bike. Problem is if I sell it now I will take too much of a hit because I still have a little under 4 years left to pay for it.

well i had a really good job at a motorcycle shop when i bought the bike, but then i lost that job in the spring when i crashed and broke my ankle cause i wasn't wearing proper boots. I got those now :busted: but i don't get free oil from the shop like i did when i worked there, and i don't get 20% off parts, and im not making alot of money at the moment. I will probably get a job eventually. I still have about $1500 in the bank for anything that i need for my bike, So paying for parts and stuff i break isn't really a problem, and i know how to fix pretty much everything on my bike now from working at the shop. Only thing i cant do is shim the valves on it cause i dont have a shim kit, and rebuild it, i did it once with help but i wouldn't feel confident to go ahead and do it myself. Anyways Im Going to put it up for sale later today, going to be a sad day when she leaves...

I think there is a ton of people going through the same thing right now. I have been off work for 3 months now with a broken ankle. I go back in jan but don't know if I will have a job much longer as I work in the auto industry. So cost for bikes needs to be low. If you are in the kitchener area drop me a pm and we can hook up and hit the track in the spring.

If you want the 4 stroke 250F, my best advise is to get a YZ250F. The motors on those bikes last forever, i don't care what anybody says. I have 2 08 crf450r's, 2 07 crf250r's, and i just got a 07 yz250f. I've put probably 75 hours on it. It starts first kick. I jetted it correctly, but i have not touched the motor yet. I change the air filter after eveyr ride and change the oil and oil filter after every 2 rides.

A buddy of mine has 93 hrs on his 06 yz250f and he hasnt done a thing to it.

to conclude, i say either get a yz250f, or by a 250 2t:thumbsup: