Sign in to follow this  

1987 yz250 for sale

My buddy purchased an 87 yz250 for a project to learn about how to work on bikes. He has almost completed the bike and will be needing to sell it because I told him that it probably was a little much for a first bike and that he would be better off with a 125 or xr250, something mellow that he can trail ride. Anyway, what kind of price should he start at. The bike has a completely rebuilt top and bottom end but will probably need new rear wheel bearings because I can start to feel a little play in the back wheel. What do you guys think?

Chances are he won't even get his monetary investment back, which is fine if he considers the experience he's gained. Is there a particular reason that this bike is out of the question for him?

It may be a very good opportunity for him to learn some tuning by trying to tame the mighty YZ, or at least change the power characteristics the way many of us do for trail, desert, and other uses besides MX.

If he was able to afford to invest in the engine components, the price of the various goodies we add won't be much more.

Unfortunately, OEM and aftermarket support may be spotty at best (in comparison to current models, I can't get a Rekluse for my wife's '02 YZ125) for such an old machine.

Anyway, if he wants to learn, I believe he'll do just as well keeping it and continuing to tinker, but we love our YZs here.

hello can you look at this bike and tell me where the radiator hose on the front of the head hooks up. Does it hook up on the top or bottom of the water pump cover. I rebuilt this bike and forgot which way it hooks back up.

Im sorry the bike is about 20 min away at a buddies house but I will be over there sometime this week and can look at it. You guys really think he will be ok on it. Its his first bike hes ever owned and he weighs about 170lbs. Ive just heard that the older 2 strokes can be monsters to handle and they have a hard hit when they climb into the pipe.

Put a washer in the exhaust........it works on the PWs:smirk:

No really, there is no doubt that there may be better bikes to learn on, although I don't believe that this bike is necessarily a show stopper.......but that's me. I rode anything I could get my hands on regardless of size.

The old YZ's are a great bike. I had an old '89 YZ250, and it taught me plenty!

It also was a damn good bike to ride!

Great power, but no powerband (not like the new ones).

They have great power, I was once trying to (learning to)wheelstand in the bush and it flipped me right over!

I paid $1300 for mine (AUD$, not USD$) and after I flipped and smashed up my FMF exhaust and bounched it from tree to tree and just plane killed it (blew the whole top end) I managed to get $1000 for it!

Lost nothing, really. Considering the damage!

If you were selling in australia I'd be the 1st over to inspect and most likely take!

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

250.00 to 300.00, I just bought an 01 for 850.00.

I would get my money's worth from riding it.

It's only worth what someone is willing to pay.

250.00 to 300.00, I just bought an 01 for 850.00.

I would get my money's worth from riding it.

I agree. A project bike is usually a bad investment unless you plan on riding it for a season or two at least. If your friend has a brain in his head and a controlled right hand, he'll be just fine learning the characteristics of the bike. Don't allow him to sell it after 1 ride either. If he's going to learn about two strokes, there's more to it than just popping a new piston and rings in. Jetting and gearing are big parts of the equation. Learn these, and he'll be hooked on 2T's for sure!:busted:

...there is no doubt that there may be better bikes to learn on, although I don't believe that this bike is necessarily a show stopper...
Two words...

CLUTCH CONTROL

The size of the motor (or power output) makes no difference if you know how to control the flow of power with the clutch. :busted:

Watch the pros. They always have at least one finger on the clutch lever. :moon:

True story (played many times, over and over)...

A kid crashes his bike. He is okay, but pretty spooked.

Your first question, "Why did you crash?"

He says he crashed because the throttle stuck wide-open.

Your second question,

"Why didn't you just pull in the clutch?" :p

Im trying to tell him to keep the bike but when we had the engine apart we noticed that the clutch basket doesnt have a whole lot of life yet as well as the rear wheel bearings, front brakes, etc and he doesnt want to have to keep putting more and more money into such an old bike. Idk maybe after he rides it he will be more open to keeping the beast.