1998 rm 125

$800 seem fair? The guy claims nothing is wrong except it needs a new rear tire. What do you guys think?

Anybody help me out?

seems like a pretty good deal maybe itcoulld be a little cheaper not sure post pics of it

I sold my 98 rm 125 for 1200 last season. It was a good bike. I had it for 8 years. My brother sold his 97 for a grand.

I dont have any but it looks ok cosmetically. The only thing Im worried about is the guy says he has never done a top end on it in 2 years of riding.

You should always factor in AT LEAST the cost of doing a top end when you buy a used bike. Don't take the PO's word for anything.

I just bought a '96 RM125 for $650. It had new bottom and top end rebuild, all new clutch (I mean all...new inner hub, basket, plates, springs...), front and rear suspension rebuilt. Needs a few things to finish it up...tires, air filter, miscellaneous other goodies. The guy I bought it from had receipts AND the old parts, plus you could see the new gasket where the cases had been split, etc. Since I brought it home I have looked it over closely and I think he was on the up and up, but I am always skeptical.

But, back to your question....that seems like a reasonable price. Check the compression, look it over closely and go with your gut.

That’s not a bad price. With the bike off, bounce the suspension and listen very carefully. If you hear any squeaks, clunks, clicks, chirps, or any other interesting/possibly animal like noises the linkage & swing arm bearings will probably need to be replaced.

My 97 was making some god awful squeaks and clicks when I bought it in 05. I first thought it was a bird with a stapler hiding behind the linkage but to my surprise it was just the bearings. Which were more like rusty disintegrated piles of dust than your typical bearing.

On the 97'-99' rm125s, there were piston and cylinder breakage. Ask if the cylinder has been replated, if not, you would have to weld narrow exaust port and replate.

$800 seem fair? The guy claims nothing is wrong except it needs a new rear tire. What do you guys think?

I have a 98 rm 125 its a great bike.I bought it a couple months ago for 1100. It is mint though

On the 97'-99' rm125s, there were piston and cylinder breakage. Ask if the cylinder has been replated, if not, you would have to weld narrow exaust port and replate.

I have a 97 that I paid $400 knowing the top end was bad. I took it apart and there was a good size chip on top of the exhaust port inside the cylinder. Parts and and repair/ replating is going to be around $400.

I think $800 would be a decent price. But it wouldn't hurt to get to lower the price.:busted:

i just bought my 2003 rm 125 and the previous owner said the bike had about 40 hours on the top end (in seller terms probably 50+hours), i did a compression test and it still had around 150psi! I bought a new complete wiseco top end kit just incase and it was only about 95 dollars.

I would definitely test ride the bike before you ride it and make sure everything seems good, check the wheel bearings (make sure it rolls), see if the brake pad is rubbing on the rotor at all, see if the bike squeeks when you push the rear up and down/compress the rear shock because that could mean the linkage could be shot, even listen to the engine for unusual noises.

Just my 2 cents!

Sounds like a good deal